1. Welcome to the Foot Health Forum community where you can ask about foot problems and get help, as well as be up-to-date with the latest foot health information. Only registered members can ask a question, but you do not need to register to respond and give help. Please become part of the community (here) and check out the shop.

Severed nerve during surgery now painful

Discussion in 'Ask your questions here' started by Unregistered, Sep 25, 2008.

1. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    My intermediate dorsal cutaneous nerve was completely severed before it branches off, I am now experiencing pain on top of my foot, feels like it's burning like if you were to have a very sticky thumb and place it on someones skin and just push and slide it really hard, If I stand up and walk or even bend down it hurts badly. Anyone have any suggestions or will this pain eventually go away?

Is it even real pain? I can not feel the top of my foot or the 2 smaller toes and half of the 3rd one, I can feel the bottom of foot though.

Thanks a ton in advance.

Rae

I don't need Footdoc to criticize me, so don't bother even answering this post Footdoc

2. FootDoc

FootDoc New Member

DISCLAIMER:
    THE FOLLOWING IS OFFERED GRATIS AS GENERAL INFORMATION ONLY, AND, AS SUCH, MAY NOT BE APPLICABLE TO THE SPECIFIC QUESTIONER AND/OR HIS/HER PROBLEM. IT IS CLEARLY NOT BASED ON ACTUAL KNOWLEDGE AND/OR EXAMINATION OF THE QUESTIONER OR HIS/HER MEDICAL HISTORY, AND IT CAN NOT AND SHOULD NOT BE RELIED UPON AS DEFINITIVE MEDICAL OPINION OR ADVICE. ONLY THROUGH HANDS- ON PHYSICAL CONTACT WITH THE ACTUAL PATIENT CAN ACCURATE MEDICAL DIAGNOSIS BE ESTABLISHED AND SPECIFIC ADVICE BE GIVEN. NO DOCTOR/PATIENT RELATIONSHIP IS CREATED OR ESTABLISHED OR MAY BE INFERRED. THE QUESTIONER AND/OR READER IS INSTRUCTED TO CONSULT HIS OR HER OWN DOCTOR BEFORE PROCEEDING WITH ANY SUGGESTIONS CONTAINED HEREIN, AND TO ACT ONLY UPON HIS/HER OWN DOCTOR’S ORDERS AND RECOMMENDATIONS. BY THE READING OF MY POSTING WHICH FOLLOWS, THE READER STIPULATES AND CONFIRMS THAT HE/SHE FULLY UNDERSTANDS THIS DISCLAIMER AND HOLDS HARMLESS THIS WRITER. IF THIS IS NOT FULLY AGREEABLE TO YOU, THE READER, AND/OR YOU HAVE NOT ATTAINED THE AGE OF 18 YEARS, YOU HEREBY ARE ADMONISHED TO READ NO FURTHER.
    For the many others who come here for general information, which, of course, the questioner is free to ignore, even if the dorsal cutaneous nerve were completely severed, there should still be some sensation on the lateral portion of the dorsum of the 5th toe, as this area is supplied by a branch of the sural nerve. Burning pain assicated with the scenario related would be most likely either from a traumatic stump neuroma or other irritation and/or entrapment of the proximal segment of the severed nerve. Any perceived aberrant distal sensations would be characterized as phantom pains or sensations which are so interpreted by the brain rather than actual sensations elicited at the perceived location in the foot. Sensation to the bottom of the foot should not have been expected by the scenario offered. What might be done to mitigate the complaints mentioned is highly speculative, but neurolysis by various methods might be considered.

3. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Thank you Footdoc.