1. Welcome to the Foot Health Forum community where you can ask about foot problems and get help, as well as be up-to-date with the latest foot health information. Only registered members can ask a question, but you do not need to register to respond and give help. Please become part of the community (here) and check out the shop.

Pain on outside of foot

Discussion in 'Ask your questions here' started by Unregistered, Jun 18, 2008.

1. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    What causes pain on the bone located on the outside of the foot?

2. hj--ray

hj--ray Guest

Hi can you please add some further information as to where the bone is. With out knowing which bone you are asking of we may not be able to answer??

3. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

The pain is on the bone just below the small toe on the side of the foot. It only hurts when pressure is applied.

4. FootDoc

FootDoc New Member

Irrespective of what a previous poster did ask of you in clarification, although there are a few medical conditions which have such repeatedly characteristic symptoms (said to be "pathoneumonic"), so as to enable a diagnosis from just a couple of facts, in general, forums such as this are very poor and inappropriate venues for the making of diagnoses. That is because a simply relating by the patient of a symptom, such as pain, and a location, such as a particular bone of the foot, is but the absolute starting point in a diagnostic process which, in addition, generally necessitates a detailed history of events, a general medical history, a hands-on examination and often some lab or radiologic tests. This is even more the case when there has been a traumatic injury of some sort, as these cases are most-often individualized as to their nature, extent and degree.

The usefulness of forums such as this are in the offering of general discussions of medical problems, their means of diagnosis and the treatment alternatives available.

5. Guest

Guest Guest

Thank you so much for enlightening us all there Doogie Howser. It's great to see someone use their vast intellectual capacity for deductive logic and reasoning to ruin an otherwise simple discussion. The original poster was asking for ideas, not some drawn out intellectual advice (rather self edifying speech) that ultimately gives no advice what so ever or encourages further discussion, which is what forums are about – discussion. If you don't want to get involved in the discussion, simply stay out of it. It you want to advise someone to visit a physician, simply state such without demoralizing the other person. It is responses such as the one that you left that encourages people to shy away from having online discussions. These forums are about sharing ideas, thoughts, questions, concerns. Not about showing off ones own personal intellict.

6. mimipod

mimipod New Member

It would be a good idea to seek podiatric evaluation for an appropriate solution. There are numerous reasons why a pain may occur, lots more information would be required. Start thinking about basics----are your shoes wide and deep enough? Has any trauma happened that you can recall? What do the wear patterns on your shoes look like? Are your feet flat----what height is the arch? etc, etc. You only have one pair of feet, they deserve evaluation with a qualified practitioner.

7. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

The tone of your response in comparison to the other pod is like night and day. It makes all the diff to a patient. I need to find a nice foot doc but I see you're located halfway round the world so need to look closer to CA.

8. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

hey, I have the same thing - let the people who might know speak please! I think it happened after a trip to Europe...lots of walking in 'dead' shoes. now what do I do to get better?

9. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Yesterday when I woke up and my left foot was hurting. Right under my ankle bone on the outside of my foot. The ackle bone is fine, the ball of the foot is fine and the heel is fine. But I can not put pressure on the foot anywhere to walk anymore. I was able to limp on it yesterday but today ....no way!

I have NO idea what I did to injure it and I have no idea what I need to do to fix it. I soaked my foot in espon salt last night and elevated it during the night hoping it would be better today but it is worse. It doesn't hurt if I stay off of it but I can't believe it hurts so bad when I try to walk. I have no idea what I did. Any ideas how to get it better?

10. Lori

Lori Guest

You need to see a doctor and have it x-rayed. You could have a stress fracture or some other injury and need to know what it is before anyone could tell you what you need to do. Until you see the doctor, keep it up, and keep it iced.

11. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I has a question on diagnosing the pain in my foot. It started about two weeks ago i got a pain about the middle of the outside of my foot. I was told i couldnt make it worse by continuing to run on it so thats what i did for about a week. Last Tuesday after my run it swelled up on me and seemed to be more painful. The swelling was mostly on the side but some went to the top of the foot as well. I decided that was it on the running and gave it up wednesday-sunday. I biked for 30mins on sunday and ran 3miles and biked 15mins after my run and it hurts worse this morning. The pain itself is weird. It is most painful when just lounging around or sitting. Still kind of strong when walking but when i am actually out running the pain is a zero till i finish and have time to walk around on it.
    I am a college cross country and track runner so my body is quite used to running and have held 65mile weeks with no problem so the stress of 3miles shouldnt be too much.

12. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I had same pain right side of right foot along the bottom edge of foot and inside my arch after long pperiods of standing.. I finally went to the doctor after about 4 months had xrays, mri, found a rather large a accessory bone located within the peroneal longus tendon. Was treated with a three different anti inflamatory drugs, and anti inflamatory patch and wore a boot over a three month period. Finally had surgery to remove the bone ( about 1cm by 1/2 cm bone ) located next to cuboid bone in the foot. - Just in front of ankle. I have relief finally. Good luck see a doctor , dont wait!

13. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Hello,

I have this same type of pain annually. The pain steams from the outside of my left too right under the pinky toe. Each year I go to the doctors and they tell me nothing. I had blood work and an xray and nothing unusual was found. The pain is mind numbing and I cannot put any pressure on it. The pain lasted about a month and a half last year. Anyone ever figure out what was the cause or name of this injury? I did nothing stupid to hurt my foot, I literally just wake up with this each year. Thanks.

14. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Same exact problem... anyone else have it and figure it out?

15. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I have the exact same pain on the outside of my foot. It doesn't hurt until I put pressure on it. Usually lasts 3-6 days and happens 2-3x per year. Hoping somebody knows what this is

16. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Ill go ahead and jump in on this too.

Ive always been active and have never had problems with my feet. At 27 the outside of my foot, between the middle outside and pinky toe, began hurting when I was sitting down. A dull but aching pain. Removing my shoe made it feel better. It has been over 2 years and I still have the pain. I sit at work with my left shoe off and on car rides over 10 minutes I slip the shoe off too. This happens on many shoes with the laces laced as loose as possible. Longer periods of standing it starts to hurt, but there is no pain when running (haven't ran over 3 miles since it started hurting).

X-rays were fine. MRI was fine (did have an accessory bone, but apparently that wasn't the problem). Cortisone didn't help either. Haven t noticed that there was much relief from ice. Motrin helps, but that's expected.

17. luhluhlarry

luhluhlarry Guest

Last edited: Feb 3, 2012
  18. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I'd be very interested to hear if anyone has a possible diagnosis for the original poster or if the original poster ever received a satisfactory diagnosis because I appear to have developed exactly the same condition in recent days: pain, similar to bruising, to the bone below the little toe that is the widest part of the foot, but only while wearing shoes and standing. There are no visible indications.
    Many thanks!

19. steve-a

steve-a New Member

Hi all looks as though I am not alone.

I too have been experiencing a sharp pain on both feet when pressure is applied against the top right hand side of my feet (little toe area). This started late last year and I noticed that I had split skin between my little toe and a build up of dry skin. I removed the build up and applied Athletes foot cream daily (as the symptoms seemed to point to this) and it seemed to clear up.

But it has returned over the last 3 weeks, I started with the athlete’s foot cream again but it does not seem to be having the same impact as it originally had and the pain is getting more frequent.

I have not been to the Doctors as yet but am planning to make an appointment for the next week or so.

20. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

It could also be tendinitis it hurts like hell and u cant walk on it