1. Welcome to the Foot Health Forum community where you can ask about foot problems and get help, as well as be up-to-date with the latest foot health information. Only registered members can ask a question, but you do not need to register to respond and give help. Please become part of the community (here) and check out the shop.

Tarsel Tunnel

Discussion in 'Ask your questions here' started by cathyb, Feb 26, 2009.

1. cathyb

cathyb New Member

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    I am an active middle aged women just diagnosed with TTS. I had this same problem about two years ago and tried all conservative treatments like, PT, immoblization, orto inserts, and steriod injections. Nothing helps except the steriod injections and they only lasted for about two days before symptoms returned. Since I am diabetic injections are not a good idea because of the effect on the glucose readings. I had surgery to correct the TTS a little over two year ago.

About 3 months ago I broke my right foot. At the time I thought it was just a bad sprain and I did the usual home care for it. After about two or three weeks the foot became totally numb. I finally went to see an orth about 6 weeks after the injury and I had broken the foot and it was too late to do anything about it. The break healed on it's own and no problem with that just the numbness and weakness in the foot. I did go to PT and had no good results with that. The doctor did one injection and it helped for a few days, tried immobilazation but numbness still there. I just had an EMG performed and it shows TTS again. This Doctor said that the only option I have is surgical correction since all conservative treatments have not helped. He seems to think that the injury to the foot contributed to the problem. The injury occured when my 100 lb dog pulled me off a curb. My question is what is the normal recovery time for this surgery. After the first TTS surgery I was told that crutches were not necessary and that doc had me walking on it right after surgery. Stitches were removed after 5 days and then he had me go right into a shoe. The wound reopened the same day stitches were taken out and then it took months to heal. The original doc only saw me one time after the surgery and that was to remove the stitches. When the wound reopened and I called his office I was told to use steri-strips and it would eventually heal. Needless to say I am seeing another doc this time. He seems to think that the first surgery did not check far enough up the ankle and that the recovery information was totally inaccurate. What is the normal recovery time like and should I stay off the foot after surgery?

Sorry for such a long post but I have so many questions and not sure if surgery is the right option. Thanks for any information at all.

2. FootDoc

FootDoc New Member

I have read your post 4 times in an attempt to discern enough solid information to offer a response, but frankly, I am having too difficult a time following your story. You have mixed tenses and gone back and forth between the past and the present so many times that I really don't have a good grasp on what you are saying and what you are asking. You have referenced conditions and surgeries and treatments and results that you have had previously and conditions and surgeries and treatments and results that, I suppose, are presently occurring, but you've intertwined them such that I cannot get the picture. If you hold out any hope of receiving any sort of answer from me, you are going to have to first sit down and think what it is that you want to tell me about your past and current problem and their treatments and results, and do so in chronological order, followed by a clear question, as I'm getting whiplash.

3. cathyb

cathyb New Member

Sorry for the confusion, I will attempt this again.

In 2007 I was diagnosed with TTS and tried all the conservative treatments. All of which were unsuccessful. In mid 2008 I had TTS surgery. I did have some problems with the wound healing but it did heal and the foot improved drastically.

Around July 2008 the numbness and tingling returned. I just tried to rest the foot as much as possible. In early Nov 2008 I injured my foot and thought was it was just a sprain. After about 6 weeks with no improvement I was referred to an ortho who said I had actually fractured the foot and it was healing. I was placed in a walking boot for about 3 weeks. Since the injury the numbness and tingling has gotten much worse.

The Doc has tried the following treatment:
    - immoblization
    - physical therapy
    - steriod injections
    - anti-inflamatory meds

The only thing that has helped was the injection but only for a few days and symptoms returned.

The Doc ordered in EMG and it came back as TTS.

What is the normal recovery time for this surgery? After first surgery in 2007 I was instructed by the surgeon to walk on the foot from the moment surgery is completed. Is this normal procedure or not?

The ortho that I am seeing now says that I will be non-weight bearing for about 2 weeks then in a walking boot with partial weight bearing for a period of time depending on how the foot heals.

I am confused that two surgeons have such extreme methods post-op and was wanting to know which method is correct.

Again sorry for the confusing post. Hope this clarifys it.

4. FootDoc

FootDoc New Member

DISCLAIMER:
    THE FOLLOWING IS OFFERED GRATIS AS GENERAL INFORMATION ONLY, AND, AS SUCH, MAY NOT BE APPLICABLE TO THE SPECIFIC QUESTIONER AND/OR HIS/HER PROBLEM. IT IS CLEARLY NOT BASED ON ACTUAL KNOWLEDGE AND/OR EXAMINATION OF THE QUESTIONER OR HIS/HER MEDICAL HISTORY, AND IT CAN NOT AND SHOULD NOT BE RELIED UPON AS DEFINITIVE MEDICAL OPINION OR ADVICE. ONLY THROUGH HANDS- ON PHYSICAL CONTACT WITH THE ACTUAL PATIENT CAN ACCURATE MEDICAL DIAGNOSIS BE ESTABLISHED AND SPECIFIC ADVICE BE GIVEN. NO DOCTOR/PATIENT RELATIONSHIP IS CREATED OR ESTABLISHED OR MAY BE INFERRED. THE QUESTIONER AND/OR READER IS INSTRUCTED TO CONSULT HIS OR HER OWN DOCTOR BEFORE PROCEEDING WITH ANY SUGGESTIONS CONTAINED HEREIN, AND TO ACT ONLY UPON HIS/HER OWN DOCTOR’S ORDERS AND RECOMMENDATIONS. BY THE READING OF MY POSTING WHICH FOLLOWS, THE READER STIPULATES AND CONFIRMS THAT HE/SHE FULLY UNDERSTANDS THIS DISCLAIMER AND HOLDS HARMLESS THIS WRITER. IF THIS IS NOT FULLY AGREEABLE TO YOU, THE READER, AND/OR YOU HAVE NOT ATTAINED THE AGE OF 18 YEARS, YOU HEREBY ARE ADMONISHED TO READ NO FURTHER.
    You say that you began having TTS symptoms some time in 2007, had conservative care which didn't work and then had TTS surgery in mid 2008 which helped very much but then by July 2008 you had symptoms again. Seems to me that July 2008 IS mid 2008, so on what basis do you claim drastic improvement from the mid 2008 surgery if you actually had renewed problems so soon thereafter? Then you mention a previous surgery in 2007. You got me yet AGAIN. And now, I understand you to say that you are about to have yet another TTS surgery. That would make three, not two surgery as you later state (unless you have misled me on something). In any event, once an area of the body has been operated, the anatomy is inevitably changed, sometimes more and sometimes less . . but always changed. I have no idea what might have or will be encountered in surgeries subsequent to the first, but let's assume that there were or will be differences from the first one. Not only would it be impossible for me to know what was or will be done in the subsequent surgeries or whether or not the healing time on this surgery would be the same as for the virgin surgery, but whether or not the appropriate post-operative instructions and methods would be the same. Having chosen another doctor this time, I would not think that you could or should hold that doctor to the advice of the previous one, and especially so if the previous surgeries did not work out. Even if the situations were precisely the same, not all doctors agree on even standard post-operative care and certain not post-operative care based on possibly different procedures with possible different findings. Speak with your current surgeon as to his/her rationale for instructions which you might feel inappropriate based on another doctor's protocol.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2009
  5. FootDoc

FootDoc New Member

DISCLAIMER:
    THE FOLLOWING IS OFFERED GRATIS AS GENERAL INFORMATION ONLY, AND, AS SUCH, MAY NOT BE APPLICABLE TO THE SPECIFIC QUESTIONER AND/OR HIS/HER PROBLEM. IT IS CLEARLY NOT BASED ON ACTUAL KNOWLEDGE AND/OR EXAMINATION OF THE QUESTIONER OR HIS/HER MEDICAL HISTORY, AND IT CAN NOT AND SHOULD NOT BE RELIED UPON AS DEFINITIVE MEDICAL OPINION OR ADVICE. ONLY THROUGH HANDS- ON PHYSICAL CONTACT WITH THE ACTUAL PATIENT CAN ACCURATE MEDICAL DIAGNOSIS BE ESTABLISHED AND SPECIFIC ADVICE BE GIVEN. NO DOCTOR/PATIENT RELATIONSHIP IS CREATED OR ESTABLISHED OR MAY BE INFERRED. THE QUESTIONER AND/OR READER IS INSTRUCTED TO CONSULT HIS OR HER OWN DOCTOR BEFORE PROCEEDING WITH ANY SUGGESTIONS CONTAINED HEREIN, AND TO ACT ONLY UPON HIS/HER OWN DOCTOR’S ORDERS AND RECOMMENDATIONS. BY THE READING OF MY POSTING WHICH FOLLOWS, THE READER STIPULATES AND CONFIRMS THAT HE/SHE FULLY UNDERSTANDS THIS DISCLAIMER AND HOLDS HARMLESS THIS WRITER. IF THIS IS NOT FULLY AGREEABLE TO YOU, THE READER, AND/OR YOU HAVE NOT ATTAINED THE AGE OF 18 YEARS, YOU HEREBY ARE ADMONISHED TO READ NO FURTHER.
    I believe I left out from my last post that it is not my personal protocol in performing typical TTS surgery to allow immediate walking. I generally employing casting and delay any weight bearing for 2 weeks or so. But I am quite retisent to suggest that all surgeons do it that way or that my personal protocol is necessarily appropriate for you. As I previously advised, speak with your own surgeon who has accepted responsibility for your case.

6. cathyb

cathyb New Member

Thank you. Your protocol matches more closely with my current surgeon. He is planning on casting for at least 2 weeks.

Sorry if the post to clarify was not quite clear again; however, this will be the second surgery.

7. englishmajor

englishmajor Guest

Foot Doc: I got the entire story at first glance. Maybe you could brush up on your reading skills before posting such a snarky (look it up.)