1. Welcome to the Foot Health Forum community where you can ask about foot problems and get help, as well as be up-to-date with the latest foot health information. Only registered members can ask a question, but you do not need to register to respond and give help. Please become part of the community (here) and check out the shop.

Treatment and Delayed Healing of Fifth Metatarsal

Discussion in 'Ask your questions here' started by KimmyKat, Apr 28, 2009.

1. KimmyKat

KimmyKat Guest

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    Hello Doctor -

I suffered a bad fall while two months pregnant on Jan 31st , and broke my fifth metatarsal between the head and mid-shaft. I saw a reputable doctor within a well known practice (that also treats professional athletes) in the large metropolitan city I live in. Treatment was an inflexible orthopediac "sandal" with velcro straps for six weeks with compression sock for swelling. I returned to get my follow-up xray six weeks later, thinking that I would be all healed given I followed his instructions to wear this contraption and avoided any exercise or strain at all . My xray revealed that the bones were not even close to healing together - what a huge disappointment! From that appointment, he advised me to wear stiff soled shoes and carry on. Exercise would be limited to recumbent bike and walking. Because I am pregnant , he doesn't want to xray me at multiple intervals, so I am waiting 8 weeks until my next follow up.
    My concern is this: should I have had more aggressive treatment to ensure healing , other than a "stiff soled shoe" . I obviously am not a candidate for surgery while pregnant , and I am concerned that delayed intervention will result in a lifetime of problems. Can you weigh in on this? Thanks very much.
    KimmyKat

2. FootDoc

FootDoc New Member

DISCLAIMER:
    THE FOLLOWING IS OFFERED GRATIS AS GENERAL INFORMATION ONLY, AND, AS SUCH, MAY NOT BE APPLICABLE TO THE SPECIFIC QUESTIONER AND/OR HIS/HER PROBLEM. IT IS CLEARLY NOT BASED ON ACTUAL KNOWLEDGE AND/OR EXAMINATION OF THE QUESTIONER OR HIS/HER MEDICAL HISTORY, AND IT CAN NOT AND SHOULD NOT BE RELIED UPON AS DEFINITIVE MEDICAL OPINION OR ADVICE. ONLY THROUGH HANDS-ON PHYSICAL CONTACT WITH THE ACTUAL PATIENT CAN ACCURATE MEDICAL DIAGNOSIS BE ESTABLISHED AND SPECIFIC ADVICE BE GIVEN. NO DOCTOR/PATIENT RELATIONSHIP IS CREATED OR ESTABLISHED OR MAY BE INFERRED. THE QUESTIONER AND/OR READER IS INSTRUCTED TO CONSULT HIS OR HER OWN DOCTOR BEFORE PROCEEDING WITH ANY SUGGESTIONS CONTAINED HEREIN, AND TO ACT ONLY UPON HIS/HER OWN DOCTOR’S ORDERS AND RECOMMENDATIONS. BY THE READING OF MY POSTING WHICH FOLLOWS, THE READER STIPULATES AND CONFIRMS THAT HE/SHE FULLY UNDERSTANDS THIS DISCLAIMER AND HOLDS HARMLESS THIS WRITER. IF THIS IS NOT FULLY AGREEABLE TO YOU, THE READER, AND/OR YOU HAVE NOT ATTAINED THE AGE OF 18 YEARS, YOU HEREBY ARE ADMONISHED TO READ NO FURTHER.
    The only way that I can responsibly weight in on this is to suggest to you what I generally believe to be the best course of action in situations such as this. If your doctor is as competent as you allege, he must have already considered what if any alternative treatments would be available in your situation. The appropriate way to handle an event such as yours, where a complication has arisen and you are uncertain as to the approach being taken by your doctor, is to first discuss your concerns with that doctor, and if then you are still not comfortable with his decision, to obtain a second opinion by another competent doctor who can examine you and review your case. I am quite certain that any responsible doctor should have no problems with that. Be aware that time might be of essence. Take with you or have forward to the second opinion doctor complete copies of your case records and x-rays. It would be unwise to seek the answers to the questions you have asked from someone who is not and can not be privy to the intimate medical details of your case. Forums are not for the purpose of making individual judgments which can only be appropriately made through having knowledge of the complete facts of the case.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2009