1. Welcome to the Foot Health Forum community where you can ask about foot problems and get help, as well as be up-to-date with the latest foot health information. Only registered members can ask a question, but you do not need to register to respond and give help. Please become part of the community (here) and check out the shop.

How long is accessory navicular surgery recovery and what are the stages?

Discussion in 'Ask your questions here' started by Unregistered, Feb 18, 2009.

1. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    I am 16 and had surgery on Feb 3rd, two weeks ago. I am in a splint right now, and dealing with crutches. I detest crutches. My high school is very un-crutch/wheelchair friendly and its a struggle an pain to deal with moving around there. What do you think my chances are of getting a walking cast boot? Educated responses, please.

Thank you.

2. FootDoc

FootDoc New Member

I do not offer medical opinions or advice directly to minors, but I WILL offer you an "educated response" as you request. in MY educated opinion, a 16 year old should not be allowed or be placed by his/her parents in a position of having to seek advice from others on the Internet following and in regard to a recent surgery. Ostensibly you have parents whose responsibility and duty it should be to seek that information for you from your own surgeon.

3. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I just had the surgery 7 weeks ago on the navicular bone and am going back to work tonight, though I probably should have had one more week off to allow the foot to heal close to 95%. When you get your cast and walking boot off, use the crutches for the first two days, as much as that's gonna suck. All of the pressure on your healing foot is not good. Suffer a little now, reward alot later. Spend the time carefully in the crutches or spend 3 times? that trying to repair damage that shouldn't have been there in the first place and cost whoever is paying for the surgery more time and money.

4. Bob 101

Bob 101 Guest

Hey, i just had the surgery on June 10 and i am in a walking boot right now! First after about two or three weeks I got a different cast after the splint one i had first. After a couple weeks i got a walking boot and my arms felt SO much better because I did not have to use crutches. I go in again on the 6th of August to hopefully get a little wrap to put around my ancle, then I can wear my shoe for THE first time since June 10! Good luck with your recovery and don't worry, when you do get your walking boot, you don't know how better you will feel!!! Good luck!!!

5. Emily

Emily Guest

Im emily . Im 12 and a half and on feb.4th of 2009i had accessory navicular surgery. i have my bone removed. Its been several months now and i am still in sooo much pain in myincision spot. Its still swollen and everyfew minutes theres sharp stabbing pain and i can hardly stand. Before i had my surgery the doctor said that the bone might not have been causing me all my pain. It could be something else. Next week im going back to the soctors to see whats wrong. If any of you kno what could be wrong or anything like that please tell me.!

6. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I had my accessory navicular removed and rips in the posterior tibial tendon repaired and then attached with an anchor. I was non weight bearing in a cast until a few days ago at which time I was given a cam walker. I can walk using the boot for about 10 - 15 minutes before discomfort forces me to sit down. I can wear the boot for about 2 -3 hours while sitting until I HAVE to remove it. When I am at home and reading or watching tv, I remove the boot and use the crutches with partial weight bearing to go the the kitchen etc. I am getting kind of nervous because I will be back at work (45 hours a week) starting Tuesday and not sure how I will manage. I will call the doctor Tuesday morning to find out if I can switch to a surgical shoe and crutches with partial weight bearing if the boot becomes too uncomfortable.

I realize that everyone is different but based upon previous experience, how long should I expect the discomfort level to continue to the point that I can not walk wearing the boot for an extended period of time?

7. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I'm 16 years old and I got surgery to take out my accessory navicular 15 days ago. I got out of my splint and out into a hard cast after 10 days. I would definately recommend the surgery. I waited for 6 weeks after i broke mine and it never healed. Surgery was easy and not to painful. I was back to school 6 days after i had surgery. Feeling better already!

8. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

well i had the surgery 15 days ago and im still not out of pain. im on crutches for another 5 weeks bc it wasnt healing like the dr expected it would and a walking boot for 4 to 6 weeks. i went back to school for my first full day like 9 or 10 days after surgery. it was rough. like im wishing for it to get better its too much.

9. mom

mom Guest

I am checking out what people have experienced and getting nervous because I have my surgery on Dec 22nd. I hurt my foot two years ago and have had a cast twice and it just won't completely heal. I have four kids four and under and worry that recovery will be difficult because of my demanding life but I can barely walk as it is now because of the pain. Lord willing I will only half to deal with this a short while longer and then it will be behind me!

10. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

How are you managing? I am a mother of two young children and I had the surgery on the 15th of December. I am wondering how I'm going to keep this up for the next few weeks. The recovery is a lot harder than I expected.

11. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I had my accessory navicular surgery January 15 2010. I am 39 years old, and although I don't have children, I have a dog and I have to have someone come in still to take care of him. If the children are older and can help you that would be great but it must be very difficult to do this with children. I am still not able to drive and will be getting friends to take me to work next week since I am in a boot and still non-weight bearing. The pain has only been bad a couple of days. I just had my stitches removed yesterday so this is the first day I will be able to take a shower without a garbage bag!! I have realized it is the little things in life. Oh, and what I have learned is keep you foot elevated 90% of the time. Otherwise you will pay for it later.

12. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Egads! I need help with a tricky situation... I found out that I have an Os Tibial Externum and have the choice of 'trying' expensive custom orthotics or doing this surgery... Here's the deal- I'm 26 and I have a 20 month old who keeps me on my feet 18 hours a day... I was also planning on running my first marathon in October, with the training program starting in the middle of June... the clincher is I'm a stay-at-home mom on a strict budget- I doubt I could afford both, even with good medical insurance. Any suggestions? Thanks so much!!!

13. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I would recommend the surgery. I spent 18 months, I have no idea how much money between X-rays, MRIs, Bone Scans, orthotics, doctors appts, and physical therapy and none of them worked. I am only a few weeks out of surgery but so the doctor said that after getting inside and looking at the position of the bone that surgery was the only thing that would have helped. Good luck!

14. mooch

mooch Guest

I had my surgery back on Nov 12, 2009. Prior to the surgery I purchased a used wheelchair which has been a great help. I was non-weight bearing for about 8 weeks and
    progressed to a cam-walker. I am now supposed to begin wearing a tennis shoe....I'm pretty nervous about the tennis shoe because my foot still hurts, especially in the evening.
    Keep your foot elevated as much as you can and use ice when you need it.

15. Lauren

Lauren Guest

Wondering if anyone can give me any answers.....
    I had my op a week ago and I have been in bed all week, I'm in so much pain its unbelievable, but what worries me is that none of you have talked about post op pain!
    Is the pain unbearable for anyone else? Is anyone experiencing a sharp pins and needled pain on the bottom of their foot whilst lying down? I wake up in absolute pain, i'm hardly getting any sleep - is this normal?
    I would appreciate any help if you can.

16. FootDoc

FootDoc New Member

Look . . I've gone over something exactly like this time and again. Any patient who is having concerns, especially so soon after surgery needs to report them directly to and have answers by his/her own doctor who MUST be the one to determine whether the character and degree of post-operative pain is something that normally goes with the procedure in his/her experience or whether it might be an important and even a critical sign that something is very amiss and needs to be corrected immediately, as what can be fixed today may not be fixable tomorrow. Pain is our body's early warning system, and to ignore it (and especially "unbearable" pain) just because someone who may or may not have had a similar procedure says the he/she had post-operative pain too, is like disregarding a warning light on your automobiles instrument cluster just because you heard that someone else got the same warning and nothing major was wrong. Now, I understand from your use the word "whilst" that you are likely under the National Health Services of either Canada or the U.K. and that your access to your doctor might be limited far beyond anything that would be considered appropriate in the U.S., but you REALLY need your concerns addressed by a doctor who knows you and your case. Of course, a detailed discussion of what to expect after surgery would have been the appropriate thing for your doctor to have done PRIOR to the procedure and YOU should have asked for that discussion if it was not volunteered. Get in touch with your doctor and do not rely on others who have had a singular experience to tell you whether all is well or something is very wrong.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2010
  17. katlvr

katlvr Guest

I just found that I will need to have the surgery for the accessory ossicle on my left inner ankle. I am so happy that my new foot doctor found out what else to do for it, while another Dr.told me that I wouldn't want to have surgery to cut it away. I tried orthotics and arch supports to no avail. The pain now is so unbearable even when I am not walking, I have known surgery is the answer. I am happy this discussion came up about how long recovery may be. I am just disappointed in my new doctor for not spending the time with me to give me more info on the surgery. He did tell me it would take about 6 weeks or longer to heal and I would wear a cast with no weight bearing. When I'm ready to have surgery let him know and he'll do it. Don't know if I'll use him or his partner just because he was in such a rush with my appt. We'll see. I'm just relieved to see info even if it's another persons experience with it, I at least know I am not alone with this.

18. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I am 17 and I have an Accessory Navicular. It is extremely painful, especially since i work at a fast food place and am on my feet all the time. My doctor gave me orthotics and 800 mL of Ibuprofen nothing seems to work. I really want the surgery because the pain is so annoying, but my insurance doesn't pay for it. Does anyone know how much the surgery cost? I will go through any amount of recovery if i could just get rid of this unbearable pain and swelling. I just really need to know how much this surgery will cost and where would a great place be to go to get it? HELP

19. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Hey!

Keep it elevated!! All the pain, I believe, comes from the swelling. Ice it as well.

I did not have ANY pain, like none. My doctor was surprise as well, I didn't even use any pain killers.

hope you be well now.

20. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I'm a 16 year old ballet dancer and I had my surgery on May 28th. Im never really in too much pain, which I suppose is a good sign. I was even able to not take any medication about four days after my surgery. My main concern is returning to dancing. I planned to go back in August, giving myself two weeks more than what my doctor said I needed. Is this too early? While I understand that each case is unique, the majority of the people above me are expressing significantly longer recovery times, which makes me nervous. And I don't have a doctors appointment until I get my cast off on June 28.