1. Welcome to the Foot Health Forum community where you can ask about foot problems and get help, as well as be up-to-date with the latest foot health information. Only registered members can ask a question, but you do not need to register to respond and give help. Please become part of the community (here) and check out the shop.

Sprained foot taking a long time to get better

Discussion in 'Ask your questions here' started by Unregistered, Nov 6, 2008.

1. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    Incident
    Almost 1 month ago, I went for a swim for the first time in a long time. When I got home, I mis-stepped on a small 2" ledge coming out of our garage and appeared to twist my foot/ankle. I didn't think much of it and assumed it would come right within a short time.

After about half an hour, I was sitting down and the foot started to ache badly. I got up and couldn't put weight on it so spent that day and the next day mostly on the couch, applying ice, keeping it elevated.

Area of pain
    It seemed ache all over at first, though there wasn't a huge amount of swelling or discoloration. since then the pain has mostly bee cenetered around the arch & upper foot, just below the toes.

1 week on
    It improved within a week and I could walk though with some pain/discomfort and standing for long would make it ache too.

So although I stopped my daily walks and lower-body weight lifting, I thought swimming would be o.k - so went for a swim exactly 1 week after it happened. After a few laps, it started to hurt a lot - felt like bad cramp but in that exact spot. The immediate pain subsided after getting out and drying off but I feel that going for that swim may have made things worse??? yet can't understand why swimming would be bad.

now - a month on
    For the past 2 weeks I've been applying a herbal cream with arnica and comfrey, don't know that it's done much. It certainly feels better than it did in the first week but I wouldn't yet think about doing weights and am not sure if I should try swimming again? or if cycling would be ok?

Is this normal? should I see a podiatrist?

I hate not being about to do any exercises involving the lower body. Just yesterday I had to do a lot of shopping and all the walking made the foot ache a lot when I got home. I just want to get active again!

2. FootDoc

FootDoc New Member

Of COURSE, you are not describing normality, and of COURSE, you should see a podiatrist or other qualified doctor . . and SHOULD have done so from the get-go. Solutions to your problems cannot reasonably be offered without a hands-on examination and evaluation, and CERTAINLY not in a forum.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2008