1. Welcome to the Foot Health Forum community where you can ask about foot problems and get help, as well as be up-to-date with the latest foot health information. Only registered members can ask a question, but you do not need to register to respond and give help. Please become part of the community (here) and check out the shop.

ingrown toenail removed

Discussion in 'Ask your questions here' started by Unregistered, Jul 12, 2008.

1. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    I had an ingrown toenail removed Weds. No pain on that night or thurs. night. Friday night I woke up with such severe pain even hydrocodene didn't help. When I walked around it felt better. The toe was puffy and red underneath when I woke up and walking was nearly impossible from pain in the treated toe. It felt better the more I wlaked.
    What could be causing this??

2. FootDoc

FootDoc New Member

DISCLAIMER:
    THE FOLLOWING IS OFFERED GRATIS AS GENERAL INFORMATION ONLY, AND, AS SUCH, MAY NOT BE APPLICABLE TO THE SPECIFIC QUESTIONER AND/OR HIS/HER PROBLEM. IT IS CLEARLY NOT BASED ON ACTUAL KNOWLEDGE AND/OR EXAMINATION OF THE QUESTIONER OR HIS/HER MEDICAL HISTORY, AND IT CAN NOT AND SHOULD NOT BE RELIED UPON AS DEFINITIVE MEDICAL OPINION OR ADVICE. ONLY THROUGH HANDS- ON PHYSICAL CONTACT WITH THE ACTUAL PATIENT CAN ACCURATE MEDICAL DIAGNOSIS BE ESTABLISHED AND SPECIFIC ADVICE BE GIVEN. NO DOCTOR/PATIENT RELATIONSHIP IS CREATED OR ESTABLISHED OR MAY BE INFERRED. THE QUESTIONER AND/OR READER IS INSTRUCTED TO CONSULT HIS OR HER OWN DOCTOR BEFORE PROCEEDING WITH ANY SUGGESTIONS CONTAINED HEREIN, AND TO ACT ONLY UPON HIS/HER OWN DOCTOR’S ORDERS AND RECOMMENDATIONS. BY THE READING OF MY POSTING WHICH FOLLOWS, THE READER STIPULATES AND CONFIRMS THAT HE/SHE FULLY UNDERSTANDS THIS DISCLAIMER AND HOLDS HARMLESS THIS WRITER. IF THIS IS NOT FULLY AGREEABLE TO YOU, THE READER, AND/OR YOU HAVE NOT ATTAINED THE AGE OF 18 YEARS, YOU HEREBY ARE ADMONISHED TO READ NO FURTHER.
    Certainly, after surgery, one must consider infection as the cause of such symptoms. You do not say whether the procedure was an intended permanent ingrown nail procedure where the nail matrix was removed or destroyed or whether it was a simple temporary partial nail avulsion, or whether the ingrown nail had produced an infection prior to your doctor visit. I consider it medically unwise to perform any surgery for permanent correction of an ingrown nail until any pre-existing infection has been resolved. In the case of an infected ingrown nail, this can generally be accomplished by a temporary partial avulsion followed by several days of soaks. Rarely are antibiotic necessary, unless appropriate to cover an already compromised patient, such as a diabetic or one with peripheral-vascular disease. On the other hand, as one of the most common permanent ingrown nail procedures involves the application of phenol (carbolic acid) to the area of the matrix to effect its destruction, and such a chemical is a strong tissue irritant, it is not uncommon for such procedures to produce symptoms similar to that which you have described. But as I can not know which of the above has occurred or if something else underlies your problem, I would strong advise that you consult you own doctor immediately. This should certainly have been your initial thought anyhow before asking for advice in a forum where your foot cannot be examined. Time may be of the essence, so do not delay.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2008
  3. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I called my doctor at 6:30 this morning and waitedf or his call before proceeding with any treatment. I don't know the medical terminology but he took out the entire corner of my nail and killed the root. It has been bothering me for 7 years. He says it won't come back. I now have a huge hole in the corner but half my nail remains and was told to soak twice a day for ten days with gauze coverage and no swimming or getting it wet until the next visit with him. He prescribed the antibiotics today and pain killers (which I hate to take and didn't work last night) since I am out of town and won't be home til tuesday. The reason I asked on the forum is b/c it seemed a little off from an infection when it was only red when I got up from resting and the swelling went down after walking around. It didn't make sense to me and I didn't have his number to ask further questions.
    Is Phenol likely what he killed the root with and if so can it do permanent damage to my toe??
    Thank you for your time.
    p.s. no infection existed prior to removal..just a long history of a lot of pain.

4. FootDoc

FootDoc New Member

DISCLAIMER:
    THE FOLLOWING IS OFFERED GRATIS AS GENERAL INFORMATION ONLY, AND, AS SUCH, MAY NOT BE APPLICABLE TO THE SPECIFIC QUESTIONER AND/OR HIS/HER PROBLEM. IT IS CLEARLY NOT BASED ON ACTUAL KNOWLEDGE AND/OR EXAMINATION OF THE QUESTIONER OR HIS/HER MEDICAL HISTORY, AND IT CAN NOT AND SHOULD NOT BE RELIED UPON AS DEFINITIVE MEDICAL OPINION OR ADVICE. ONLY THROUGH HANDS- ON PHYSICAL CONTACT WITH THE ACTUAL PATIENT CAN ACCURATE MEDICAL DIAGNOSIS BE ESTABLISHED AND SPECIFIC ADVICE BE GIVEN. NO DOCTOR/PATIENT RELATIONSHIP IS CREATED OR ESTABLISHED OR MAY BE INFERRED. THE QUESTIONER AND/OR READER IS INSTRUCTED TO CONSULT HIS OR HER OWN DOCTOR BEFORE PROCEEDING WITH ANY SUGGESTIONS CONTAINED HEREIN, AND TO ACT ONLY UPON HIS/HER OWN DOCTOR’S ORDERS AND RECOMMENDATIONS. BY THE READING OF MY POSTING WHICH FOLLOWS, THE READER STIPULATES AND CONFIRMS THAT HE/SHE FULLY UNDERSTANDS THIS DISCLAIMER AND HOLDS HARMLESS THIS WRITER. IF THIS IS NOT FULLY AGREEABLE TO YOU, THE READER, AND/OR YOU HAVE NOT ATTAINED THE AGE OF 18 YEARS, YOU HEREBY ARE ADMONISHED TO READ NO FURTHER.
    If a phenol procedure were not used, you need to consider your symptoms indicative of an infection and need appropriate and timely treatment. But
    phenol destruction of the nail root (matrix) is the most commonly performed procedure for attempted permanent correction of ingrown nail problems, though I have no way of knowing as I sit before my computer if that is what you have had. Unfortunately, the side effect of this procedure commonly causes a reaction which closely mimics the signs of infection, and I instruct my patients that if they are out of town and see a non-podiatrist in an emergency situation, they may be diagnosed with an infection which might not exist. But actual infections DO sometimes occur with this procedure, and only an experienced practitioner can tell the difference and make the judgment by sight. Certainly the use of phenol has the potential for causing harm to adjacent tissues, but permanent ill effects of such events are usual transient, other than perhaps for some minor permanent changes in the remaining nail. Rarely, the entire nail is lost, I'm sure that the antibiotics are being employed simply as a precaution, and that if the phenol procedure were indeed employed, your doctor probably judges that you have merely had a reaction to the irritant chemical rather than having an infection. But it is important to monitor your situation for any progression of symptoms, as if it IS an infection, it can develop into a serious situation. The use of antibiotics alone does not necessarily guarantee the resolution of an infection, and you should seek hands-on medical evaluation and advice if your situation does not quickly abate.

5. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Thank you. It seems to have resolved since last night and looks better today with no redness at all or swelling.
    I appreciate your time and help.

6. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Hi, I'm 14 and I took care of my ingrown toe nail problem alone, and I never had any pains or stuff like that. I guess it's something the doctors are doing wrong.

7. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I had an ingrown toenail on my left toe treated on Saturday. I elected to have both sides of the toenail done at the sametime. The left side is healing fine, but the right side is not. I now have what looks like swollen muscle on the site where the nail was removed. It is very sensitive to touch as well as draining some type of liquid with some blood. I have called the doctor who did the procedure but is not available for about a week and a half. I'm soaking my foot in warm water and epsom salt daily and changing the gauze. Any advise would be appreciated.

8. bobby2012

bobby2012 New Member

hi i dont know if this is the right thread but i had a full toenail removal on monday and it took 5 injections to numb it but nw when ever i go to lift it it throbs but if i go to walk it just feels all swollen what could be causing this and do i need to go back to the podiatrist?

9. Annonymous91292

Annonymous91292 New Member

Hi,
    I had an ingrowing toenail and I had an appointment to have it removed by the doctor. He talked me through either having the full nail taken off or having a slither cut out of each side the nail to prevent it digging in my toe. I chose to have the latter done.
    He numbed my toe and proceeded with the surgery. However after he had done the surgery, he told me instead of cutting a slither out of each nail he had 'debulked' the skin on the sides of toe because the skin around the nail was really bulky, meaning when I wear tight shoes, heels for e.g. (I'm female) they would cause the nail to dig into my toe. The doctor said this was the best option for me and told me when I felt comfortable, to file the TOP of my nail causing the sides of my nail to lift and not dig into my toe.
    I had this operation done nearly 2 weeks ago and if anything my toe hurts now as much as it did before the operation. I've been to see the nurse at my doctors (I had been referred for my op) to have the dressings changed and they said they have never heard of the toes being rebulked to prevent ingrowing toe nails.
    Thinking about it now, I don't see how debulking the skin will prevent an ingrowing toe nail occurring again?
    Has anyone else has this done or could offer me any advice, it would be very welcome!
    Thanks.

10. adam

adam Guest

Hi , i'm 14 years old and i had 1 side of my (ingrown) toenail removed with 2 local numbing shots. now (1 day after surgery) i'm experiencing some pain , especially when i don't have my leg elevated. when my leg is not elevated i experience some heavy pain , i don't know how to put this in english (because i'm belgian) but the pain is synched with my heartbeat. the pain is like : BANG BANG ...... BANG BANG ........BANG BANG , this happens when i have my leg NOT elevated. When i do have my leg elevated , i seem to experience little to no pain. The doctor who did the procedure said that this would be normal. But i'm really affraid to stand up because of the pain , even to go to the toilet ..... well , i have 5 questions :

1. What is it that causes the pain ??
    2. is this normal ?
    3. when should i be able to walk again without the pain ?
    4. They did not mention anything about soaking it.
    5. Is it normal that they stitch it ?

thanks in advance , and greeting from belgium , Cheers !
    -Adam

11. AussiePod

AussiePod New Member

1. The English word you want is "throbbing". It is caused by the spikes in blood pressure when your heart beats.
    2. following surgery it is fairly normal.
    3. Whenever you doctor/surgeon told you
    4. That's not a question
    5. It depends on the procedure. If there was a large enough incision they might, but soem procedures it isnt necessary.

12. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I got my the left side of my left nail removed Wednesday. On Thursday I started school and had to walk on it all day. When I got home and soaked it, it started to burn. Today was the second day of school and I again walked in my tennis shoes and the base where the shots were got all puffy and red. Now it burns and hurts and Tylenol doesn't help. Also I've tried ice but my other toe freezes when I place it on my big toe.

13. Franks Taylor

Franks Taylor New Member

Ingrown toenails could be inconvenient and they used to take place when nail break in malleable skin tissue that encloses toe, and skin starts to rise over nail rather growing under. They are very common on large toes, but not necessary. However, you can follow the link below to remove infection from ingrown toenail:

using this link, you will be easily able to cure such infection.