1. Welcome to the Foot Health Forum community where you can ask about foot problems and get help, as well as be up-to-date with the latest foot health information. Only registered members can ask a question, but you do not need to register to respond and give help. Please become part of the community (here) and check out the shop.

Unable to do single heel rise

Discussion in 'Ask your questions here' started by Gimpy Girl, Mar 25, 2011.

1. Gimpy Girl

Gimpy Girl Guest

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    Is there anything else that contributes to not being able to do a single heel rise other than PTT? I injured my foot 5 months ago, was in a cast or boot for 11 weeks, in a shoe, walking for 6 weeks, now back in a boot. Though I have been doing PT since being out of a fiberglass cast, I still cannot lift my heel off the floor either when walking (I walk like I have a wooden foot almost because my foot won't "roll") nor can I lift my heel off the floor when standing on one foot. I've tried it even with most of my weight taken away (by using my arms on the counter to assist) and still can't do it. If I go up on both feet together, and then lift the good foot up, my bad foot feels like it's made of spaghetti (the only way I can think to describe it), and collapses. I also do not have full range of motion, especially dorsiflexion (up).

I do have swelling because of peroneal issues (not sure of the extent -- MRI coming soon), but anything I read says it's the PTT and achilles tendon that is tested by the heel rise.

Anyone have any info on this for me? I'm hoping it's the peroneal tendons or ligaments in that area or the swelling causing me not to be able to do this as I really don't want to contemplate more stuff wrong with this darn foot. I will be bringing this up with the ortho after my MRI as it's concerning me. I expected it for a couple of weeks or so after getting out of the cast, but it should be improving somewhat and isn't.

Thanks.

2. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Calf weakness comes to mind although your Physio would be straight on to that.

Another cause of failing a single leg raise could be be neurological

Just wait for the MRI I bet its the Post Tib tendon