1. Welcome to the Foot Health Forum community where you can ask about foot problems and get help, as well as be up-to-date with the latest foot health information. Only registered members can ask a question, but you do not need to register to respond and give help. Please become part of the community (here) and check out the shop.

What is the healing time of cuneiform stress fracture?

Discussion in 'Ask your questions here' started by needadvice, Apr 25, 2011.

1. needadvice

needadvice New Member

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    Hi-

Last October, 5 weeks out from doing my first Ironman on Nov 24th, I was diagnosed via MRI with lateral cuneiform stress fracture in my left foot. I decided to rest it completely and attempt the run(marathon) on race day. About 12 miles into my run, my foot started to hurt a lot so I decided to walk the last 13 miles to complete the race. Post race, I compleetly stopped running and just rested it. I spent my workouts biking instead 3-4 days a week. i did not wear a boot(my dr didn't bring it up)
    Fast forward 4 months later(end of march), I got another MRI and the results showed no discrete fracture line and decreased inflamation. My dr said to start running a few times a week 30min 2x/week which I did and then a few weeks later increased to 40min 3x in one week. that week my foot started to hurt like crazy. Fustrated and worried I was not getting proper treatment, I decided to get a second opinion and the doctor is suggesting a bone stimulator.
    I am writing because I am frustrated and I hope someone can shed some light on how long does it really take to heal this type of stress fracture and what methods can help increase healing time. is what I am going through uncommon? I am worried I will never be able to run again or that my foot will get worse. I'm also wondering if the biking put pressure on my foot too beacuse I do a lot of hills and sometimes it's a bit sore/tender after rides.
    any advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. rdizzy1223

rdizzy1223 New Member

Most lower extremity stress reactions take between 8 and 17 weeks for recovery. Got that from a stress fracture site.

3. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

i hope your foot is healing by now! I too, a distance runner, was diagnosed with a stress reaction in my cuneiform. This is week 5 in a boot and i have done no pounding activities. My foot really doesn't feel any better yet. My dr. says i could be in a boot up to 12 weeks. Was also told i would need custom orthodics. My dr. says this is a slow healing process and that NO pounding activities should be done, including distance walking, even in my boot. KILLER! Hope this helps!