1. Welcome to the Foot Health Forum community where you can ask about foot problems and get help, as well as be up-to-date with the latest foot health information. Only registered members can ask a question, but you do not need to register to respond and give help. Please become part of the community (here) and check out the shop.

Broken Navicular and now broken 3rd Metatarsal

Discussion in 'Ask your questions here' started by Unregistered, Dec 18, 2009.

1. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    I broke my Navicular in June and was put into a CamWalker for 8 weeks. It didn't heal completely so my Orthoped/Podiatrist put me back in it for another 6 weeks and on crutches for 2 of the 6 weeks. After coming out of the Cam Walker I still had a significant amount of pain and another bone scan and MRI were ordered. I apparently broke the 3rd metatarsal in the foot and the Navicular was still not healed. The doctor was shocked. I was instructed to go back into a cast (this time a black one with straps and no air pockets) for 6 more weeks. I got out yesterday and I'm still in a lot of pain. I will call my doctor tomorrow, but why am I not healing? I'm taking calcium with vitamin D and following all of my doctors instructions. Surgery was not recommened initially because the breaks were clean and not displaced, but why did the 3rd metatarsal break just from walking after being in the boot cast for 3 months?

2. FootDoc

FootDoc New Member

DISCLAIMER:
    THE FOLLOWING IS OFFERED GRATIS AS GENERAL INFORMATION ONLY, AND, AS SUCH, MAY NOT BE APPLICABLE TO THE SPECIFIC QUESTIONER AND/OR HIS/HER PROBLEM. IT IS CLEARLY NOT BASED ON ACTUAL KNOWLEDGE AND/OR EXAMINATION OF THE QUESTIONER OR HIS/HER MEDICAL HISTORY, AND IT CAN NOT AND SHOULD NOT BE RELIED UPON AS DEFINITIVE MEDICAL OPINION OR ADVICE. ONLY THROUGH HANDS-ON PHYSICAL CONTACT WITH THE ACTUAL PATIENT CAN ACCURATE MEDICAL DIAGNOSIS BE ESTABLISHED AND SPECIFIC ADVICE BE GIVEN. NO DOCTOR/PATIENT RELATIONSHIP IS CREATED OR ESTABLISHED OR MAY BE INFERRED. THE QUESTIONER AND/OR READER IS INSTRUCTED TO CONSULT HIS OR HER OWN DOCTOR BEFORE PROCEEDING WITH ANY SUGGESTIONS CONTAINED HEREIN, AND TO ACT ONLY UPON HIS/HER OWN DOCTOR’S ORDERS AND RECOMMENDATIONS. BY THE READING OF MY POSTING WHICH FOLLOWS, THE READER STIPULATES AND CONFIRMS THAT HE/SHE FULLY UNDERSTANDS THIS DISCLAIMER AND HOLDS HARMLESS THIS WRITER. IF THIS IS NOT FULLY AGREEABLE TO YOU, THE READER, AND/OR YOU HAVE NOT ATTAINED THE AGE OF 18 YEARS, YOU HEREBY ARE ADMONISHED TO READ NO FURTHER.
    Why you are not healing is something that your doctor should investigate. Non-union of fractures occur for many reasons including poor or compromised local blood supply, poor approximation, and lack of proper immobilization. Normal levels of Vitamin D and calcium are important to fracture healing, but I know of no studies which show that supplementing beyond normal levels is helpful. Have you had a 25 Hydroxy Vitamin D level blood test and a bone density study? Also, what evidence is there to rule out that the metatarsal fracture was not initially missed or that you may have a condition predisposing you to pathologial fractures.

3. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

No tests other than the bone scans and the MRI have been ordered. I haven't heard back from my doctor as yet and probably won't due to the holidays. I will ask her about the tests you mentioned in your post. She did say that the MRI show a significant amount of "trauma" to the foot--not that this has any significance to the question of "why?"

Thanks for listening.