1. Welcome to the Foot Health Forum community where you can ask about foot problems and get help, as well as be up-to-date with the latest foot health information. Only registered members can ask a question, but you do not need to register to respond and give help. Please become part of the community (here) and check out the shop.

broken 5th metatarsal right foot

Discussion in 'Ask your questions here' started by sharon71, Oct 20, 2010.

1. sharon71

sharon71 New Member

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    hi I broke my 5th metarsal on the 15th of september and were put in temp cast non weight bearing for 1 week then when i went back to see consultant said that it was a good break not displaced but would need casting for 6 - 8weeks this being a non weight bearing one. Since then i have not put my foot to floor and am struggling on crutches and wizzing about kitchen on an office chair. I am so fed up got two young boys husband lifts me in shower every day and i am relying on help from mum and dad. Just getting worried that when i go back 2nd nov - after 6 weeks for it removing and another x ray that it won't have healed. Do you think that 6 weeks is a good time to heal ( 7 including temp cast )i am 39 years old try to follow good diet don't drink or smoke and trying to drink loads of skimmed milk! Also if i do need another cast on do you think i will be able to walk on it. Some people are given boots is this down to hospitals? look forward to replies thanks

2. Foot Doc

Foot Doc Guest

Owing to your use of the term, "consultant," I will assume that you are in the U.K. and being treated under NHS. From what I have gleaned from posts here, there is little or no opportunity under that system to question the treating doctor after leaving his/her facility, and therefore patients under this system should be fully prepared to ask such basic questions as you have asked here at the time of their appointment, as, if any real and reliable information can be offered, it will be from THAT doctor. You were told told 6-8 weeks and that is generally correct for most uncomplicated metatarsal fractures. Whether or not you will have total healing at that time and whether or not another cast will be necessary and whether you might bear weight on that cast would depend on evaluations and events as they occur. What anyone THINKS is only likely to give you false expectations on both ends of the spectrum.

FOOT DOC

Last edited: Oct 20, 2010