1. Welcome to the Foot Health Forum community where you can ask about foot problems and get help, as well as be up-to-date with the latest foot health information. Only registered members can ask a question, but you do not need to register to respond and give help. Please become part of the community (here) and check out the shop.

The right time to take out pins

Discussion in 'Ask your questions here' started by Hal, Mar 31, 2011.

1. Hal

Hal New Member

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    I fractured my 4th and 5th metatarsals exactly 4 weeks ago. There were 7 breaks in the 4th metatarsal and 3 in the 5th metatarsal, but my podiatrist said my 5th metatarsal was a lot worse. 3.5 weeks ago, I had surgery and the doctor put a pin in each metatarsal. He is planning to take the pin out of the 4th metatarsal next week, after it has been in for 4.5 weeks. I saw his associate today and she said that if I were her patient, she would wait 6 weeks, then take both pins out. I like my doctor, but now I am nervous that he plans on taking the pins out too soon. What do you think?

2. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Not knowing anything but what you have said, I think that the associate was an idiot for not consulting with the doctor who was caring for you before telling you that she would handle your case differently. Right or wrong, she could and should have handled it more intelligently and that reflects poorly on her judgement. All she has accomplished is to erode your confidence in your own doctor.

3. Hal

Hal New Member

Thank you. That's a very good point.

4. Smokey

Smokey Guest

I agree with the previous poster, but I would now ask my doctor if you can wait and have both pins taken out at the same time. A week and a half isn't going to make any difference, and 6 weeks is the norm for healing times.

5. Hal

Hal New Member

Thank you. I'll ask him why he thinks one should come out sooner than the other - especially since 6 weeks is the norm for healing and I have 7 breaks in the 4th metatarsal.

6. Hal

Hal New Member

My doctor wants to remove the pin ASAP because he had to move that toe out of its normal place to put the pin in, and he wants to put the toe back in its normal place ASAP. That makes sense, right?

7. Smokey

Smokey Guest

It makes perfect sense so good thing you asked him!

8. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

This is nuts. If you don't trust your doctor enough to believe his answer to your question why would you come here and accept a guess from someone who is not a doctor and who probably knows no more about it than you do?

9. Hal

Hal New Member

I'm sorry, I never meant to imply that I did not trust my doctor. I just didn't know his reasoning and was looking for possible answers. Now that I know my doctor's opinion, I can more fairly weigh both options.

10. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

What's the difference between not trusting your doctor and checking with non-doctors who you don't even know to see if your doctor's answer sounds right?

11. Hal

Hal New Member

I thought I would find someone on here who had a similar experience and could relate that experience to me. I was looking for some piece of mind while I waited to speak to my doctor.

12. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Well then, getting back to how well you trust the doctor who knows your case and who you say trust, wouldn't his opinion be the one to give you the peace of mind you want rather than believing someone who only thinks he might have had the same thing and really doesn't know if what was done for him was the best choice. My point is that you are kidding yourself to think that you can get peace of mind from someone with such limited experience and knowledge. You are much better off waiting to talk to your doctor if you really trust him.