1. Welcome to the Foot Health Forum community where you can ask about foot problems and get help, as well as be up-to-date with the latest foot health information. Only registered members can ask a question, but you do not need to register to respond and give help. Please become part of the community (here) and check out the shop.

Scar tissue

Discussion in 'Ask your questions here' started by Unregistered, Oct 16, 2010.

1. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    Doc, can you help me understand the role of scar tissue for a torn ankle ligament, or perhaps I should explain my understanding and you can correct me where I am wrong.

When a ligament is torn, either grade 1, 2 or 3, it is scar tissue that develops to fill in and reconnect the ligament tear. This means that the ligament is not as strong as it normally would have been prior to the tear as scar tissue is not as strong or pliable as the ligament. I also understand that it is often important to break down scar tissue in rehab. Does this mean that the ligament will regenerate and no longer need that piece to scar tissue to connect the original torn ends or is it because scar tissue keeps growing and can connect or cobweb to other ligaments limiting movement and full function? If the tear is repaired surgically -like in a case of a grade 3 tear, does this mean that there is limited if any scar tissue? At what point can massage be used to try to break up the scar tissue without causing further damage to the initial injury? (perhaps you can't answer that specifically as it would depend on the degree of the tear and the rate of one's own recovery). Can scar tissue from a ligament tear that occurred a year or 2 ago still be broken down or is the window of opportunity to do that gone? Is it better to apply heat before massage to increase blood flow and warm the ligament before massage or cold to address discomfort with deep massage?

Thanks for any correction or clarification you can give me!

Last edited: Oct 16, 2010
  2. FootDoc

FootDoc New Member

DISCLAIMER:
    THE FOLLOWING IS OFFERED GRATIS AS GENERAL INFORMATION ONLY, AND, AS SUCH, MAY NOT BE APPLICABLE TO THE SPECIFIC QUESTIONER AND/OR HIS/HER PROBLEM. IT IS CLEARLY NOT BASED ON ACTUAL KNOWLEDGE AND/OR EXAMINATION OF THE QUESTIONER OR HIS/HER MEDICAL HISTORY, AND IT CAN NOT AND SHOULD NOT BE RELIED UPON AS DEFINITIVE MEDICAL OPINION OR ADVICE. ONLY THROUGH HANDS- ON PHYSICAL CONTACT WITH THE ACTUAL PATIENT CAN ACCURATE MEDICAL DIAGNOSIS BE ESTABLISHED AND SPECIFIC ADVICE BE GIVEN. NO DOCTOR/PATIENT RELATIONSHIP IS CREATED OR ESTABLISHED OR MAY BE INFERRED. THE QUESTIONER AND/OR READER IS INSTRUCTED TO CONSULT HIS OR HER OWN DOCTOR BEFORE PROCEEDING WITH ANY SUGGESTIONS CONTAINED HEREIN, AND TO ACT ONLY UPON HIS/HER OWN DOCTOR’S ORDERS AND RECOMMENDATIONS. BY THE READING OF MY POSTING WHICH FOLLOWS, THE READER STIPULATES AND CONFIRMS THAT HE/SHE FULLY UNDERSTANDS THIS DISCLAIMER AND HOLDS HARMLESS THIS WRITER. IF THIS IS NOT FULLY AGREEABLE TO YOU, THE READER, OR YOU HAVE NOT ATTAINED THE AGE OF 18 YEARS, YOU HEREBY ARE ADMONISHED TO READ NO FURTHER.
    Your question appears to confuse two issues. As with most tissues of the body, when a ligament is torn the healing process involves repair by fibrous tissue instead of the tissue from which the structure was originally composed. Fibrous tissue when created in the healing process is termed "scar tissue." Fibrous-scar healing of a ligament does not necessarily weaken the ligament, but it does mitigate its function. The function of a ligament is to act as a shock absorber, maintain joint continuity and integrity and give flexibility to a joint, allowing for it to slightly dislocate and then return undamaged to its structural position. In order to serve these functions, a ligament is composed of tissue which is elastic. Fibrous-scar tissue is NOT elastic, and therefore once a ligament is torn and has healed, the ligament is no longer completely composed of elastic tissue and its function as a ligament is mitigated. Prompt surgical repair of a torn ligament may reduce the amount of scar tissue created, but there will be scar tissue. The fibrous-scar healing interface cannot be broken down to be replaced by the naturally elastic tissue of the ligament, and there will always be scar tissue which joins the formerly torn portions of the ligament. If the scar is forcefully broken, new scar will be created if and when the ligament re-heals.

The other aspect of your question deals with the creation of scar tissue as the result of collateral damage visited to the site as the result of trauma to a joint or other areas of the body. Scar tissue can cause adhesions which restrict motion, the binding down other soft tissue structures such as tendons and nerves and subsequent pain resulting from attempts to obtain a full range of motion or nerve involvement. Fibrous scar tissue also tends to contract, compounding these problems. Under these circumstances, deep massage, forceful physical therapy and/or surgical release is sometimes appropriate to break these adhesion and contractions. In general, when mobilizing a joint, moderate heat is employed prior to exercise in order to facilitate motion and cold is employed afterward to reduce inflammation. NONE OF THIS SHOULD BE ATTEMPTED WITHOUT PROPER EVALUATION AND RECOMMENDATION BY A KNOWLEDGEABLE ATTENDING DOCTOR.

3. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Thank you Doc. Your detailed explanation was extremely helpful-especially in describing scar tissue and adhesions. I appreciate your time!