1. Welcome to the Foot Health Forum community where you can ask about foot problems and get help, as well as be up-to-date with the latest foot health information. Only registered members can ask a question, but you do not need to register to respond and give help. Please become part of the community (here) and check out the shop.

Lisfranc Screw Removal

Discussion in 'Ask your questions here' started by Unregistered, Nov 5, 2011.

1. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Hi, it has been almost 14 months since my surgery. I still have my screws in place, and my doctor has basically left it up to me to decide whether to take them out or not. From reading previous threads about this, you need some details to even attempt to provide an answer...so hopefully this helps:

My medial cuneiform in my left foot was displaced medially and broke into 4-5 pieces, my first and second metetarsals were displaced laterally. The doc was able to put the cuneiform back together and installed two 4mm stainless steel cannulated screws...the screws are between cuneiforms not the metatarsals.

So, my main concern is cyclic loading failure, but I am not sure how much motion there is between the cuneiforms?? Initially, we were concerned that the ligaments were damaged to the point that the screws would have to stay in forever, but he said I have made a good recovery indicating that the ligaments probably fully healed...he also said there is no real way to know for sure until he removed the screws and we see what happens. I would prefer to know for sure that I can just take the screws out and I will be fine, rather than risk messing my foot up any worse than it already is. I typically only feel discomfort the day after any sort of excersize other than walking. Its not really painful, just discomfort around the screw locations during push off when the most forces are present on the "ball/pad" of the joint between the first metatarsal and my big toe.

I know each patient presents with different problems, but does anyone have any advice for how I should decide whether to leave the screws in or take them out? Should I seek a second opinion from another doctor? Sorry for the long post, and thanks to anyone who can help!