1. Welcome to the Foot Health Forum community where you can ask about foot problems and get help, as well as be up-to-date with the latest foot health information. Only registered members can ask a question, but you do not need to register to respond and give help. Please become part of the community (here) and check out the shop.

Possible shifting bones?

Discussion in 'Ask your questions here' started by Glo4, Dec 3, 2008.

1. Glo4

Glo4 New Member

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    First I have terrible feet. I have had several surgeries including a failed tendon transfere, resulting in large toe joint dislocation. I have no arches (completley flat) footed. Both feet. I had to have an ankle fusion, only option left for me. My foot looks like a carved turkey at Thanksgiving. LOL
    I cannot stand or walk but short periods of time. Plus I had to have bilateral knee joint replacments.
    I have recently developed what I fear may be a shifting of bones in both feet. If you go from the bend of foot on top and go down to the arch area I have a knot. It is painful to walk or stand. Which is not uncommon but this is a different problem.
    I am sorry for rambling, but I have suffered so long with foot issues I just feel like there will come a time I can not walk at all, and it is scarey thought.
    Thanks, Glo

2. FootDoc

FootDoc New Member

DISCLAIMER:
    THE FOLLOWING IS OFFERED GRATIS AS GENERAL INFORMATION ONLY, AND, AS SUCH, MAY NOT BE APPLICABLE TO THE SPECIFIC QUESTIONER AND/OR HIS/HER PROBLEM. IT IS CLEARLY NOT BASED ON ACTUAL KNOWLEDGE AND/OR EXAMINATION OF THE QUESTIONER OR HIS/HER MEDICAL HISTORY, AND IT CAN NOT AND SHOULD NOT BE RELIED UPON AS DEFINITIVE MEDICAL OPINION OR ADVICE. ONLY THROUGH HANDS- ON PHYSICAL CONTACT WITH THE ACTUAL PATIENT CAN ACCURATE MEDICAL DIAGNOSIS BE ESTABLISHED AND SPECIFIC ADVICE BE GIVEN. NO DOCTOR/PATIENT RELATIONSHIP IS CREATED OR ESTABLISHED OR MAY BE INFERRED. THE QUESTIONER AND/OR READER IS INSTRUCTED TO CONSULT HIS OR HER OWN DOCTOR BEFORE PROCEEDING WITH ANY SUGGESTIONS CONTAINED HEREIN, AND TO ACT ONLY UPON HIS/HER OWN DOCTOR’S ORDERS AND RECOMMENDATIONS. BY THE READING OF MY POSTING WHICH FOLLOWS, THE READER STIPULATES AND CONFIRMS THAT HE/SHE FULLY UNDERSTANDS THIS DISCLAIMER AND HOLDS HARMLESS THIS WRITER. IF THIS IS NOT FULLY AGREEABLE TO YOU, THE READER, AND/OR YOU HAVE NOT ATTAINED THE AGE OF 18 YEARS, YOU HEREBY ARE ADMONISHED TO READ NO FURTHER.
    I rather doubt that with so many interlocking bones with such limited ranges of motion in the area of the foot of which you seem to speak, that you actually have shifting bones. But if I can sift through a rather nebulous and non-anatomical description of location and might conclude that you are speaking of an area where the plantar fascia courses, you may be describing a Dupuytren's nodule, otherwise known as plantar fibromatosis. I would suggest that you Google this condition to see if that describes your symptoms and for a review of treatments. The only other conditions that comes even vaguely to mind would be a bone destructive condition such as seen in Charcot's disease and vertical talus, which is generally a congenital condition of which you would already be well aware. Keep in mind that I have virtually nothing to work with, and I am making only the blindest of guesses, which ordinarily I frown upon, but which, in this case, would not lead you to attempt any self-treatment. You certainly must have had much experience with doctors who treat foot problems. Why not contact one of them?

3. Glo4

Glo4 New Member

Thank You for your time and your attempt to help me. I am sorry i can not be more specific on my location & discription. The reason for my asking about it at is that my "foot doctor" is over an 1 1/2 away. I will do as you suggested and Google the conditions you mentioned and see if any of them sound simular to my problem and go from there.
    Glo

4. Glo4

Glo4 New Member

I went to a local poditrist to have the knot looked at on the side of my foot. I can not tell you in medical terms, (very long name) but he said it was an infected sweat gland. Do to the fact that I am walking on an area of the foot that is not a weight bearing part of the foot. He scraped it and froze the area and it is getting better. He suggested an orthotic. My question is with all the past problems and surgeries will an orthotic be effective?

Would you suggest I go back to the surgeon, or do you think a poditrist will bequalified to to have them made for me? Orthotics are expensive and I can not afford to have a mistake made.
    Thanks, Gloria

5. FootDoc

FootDoc New Member

It is unclear to me what diagnosis was given to you, but I would tend to think that you might be talking about a porokeratosis, which is a callousing, but not an infection of a sweat gland, but is generally quite small in size. In addition, I am puzzled as to why orthotics were recommended. But as the term, orthotic is rather generic and can mean different things to different doctors, I am not at all uncertain as to who should direct its fabrication.