1. Welcome to the Foot Health Forum community where you can ask about foot problems and get help, as well as be up-to-date with the latest foot health information. Only registered members can ask a question, but you do not need to register to respond and give help. Please become part of the community (here) and check out the shop.

Severe Pain & Swelling of Foot/Ankle

Discussion in 'Ask your questions here' started by jimi, Sep 4, 2009.

1. jimi

jimi New Member

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    After numerous fruitless visits to doctors in the UK (where I live) and now a visit to a doctor in France, I'm wondering if anyone recognises my symptoms and can help.
    I suffer from sporadic severe pain and swelling in both my feet and ankles. Whenever an outbreak occurs, it will be in only one foot and/or ankle, but I've suffered from the problem in both legs over the course of the last 12 years.
    The first time it happened, I had started jogging after a period of inactivity, and my doctor thought I may have fractured a bone. An xray showed no such fracture. I was sent for a bone scan which also provided no answers. I also provided blood samples, but I don't know what they were tested for, nor what the results were. I also couldn't remember being cut/stung/bitten by an insect, nor banging my foot.
    Ever since this first outbreak, the problem now seems to occur following a trip by aircraft. The pattern is usually that I get an outbreak whilst I'm on holiday between 2-7 days after making the journey on the aircraft. It doesn't seem to matter whether the country I am visiting is hot or cold. (I've had outbreaks in New York in winter and Spain in summer.) My holidays are consistently ruined however!
    The swelling is so severe that my skin is stretched over the foot/ankle. It appears very red and is hot to the touch. I have no symptoms other than pain which is more severe when I stand after sitting or sleeping. (No fever like symptoms.) After an outbreak I'm left with reddish/brown scar marks on my foot and ankle at the point where swelling was most severe.
    Some doctors say it is cellulitis and I've been given antibiotics. (I can't say for sure if the tablets make an outbreak less severe or shorter in length.) The french doctor suggested a vascular problem and said I should request an ultra sound of the affected area. (I have already booked another appointment with my UK doctor for when I get home.)
    I can't believe I will be the only person to experience this problem and would love to hear any ideas/suggestions. I just want to enjoy a holiday with my family that doesn't lead to a week of agony!
    I'm a 33 year old male who is normally very active and in good shape, taking exercise at the gym several times a week. I believe I have suffered from around 8 outbreaks of this problem over a 12 year period.
    :confused::(:(

Last edited: Sep 4, 2009
  2. FootDoc

FootDoc New Member

DISCLAIMER:
    THE FOLLOWING IS OFFERED GRATIS AS GENERAL INFORMATION ONLY, AND, AS SUCH, MAY NOT BE APPLICABLE TO THE SPECIFIC QUESTIONER AND/OR HIS/HER PROBLEM. IT IS CLEARLY NOT BASED ON ACTUAL KNOWLEDGE AND/OR EXAMINATION OF THE QUESTIONER OR HIS/HER MEDICAL HISTORY, AND IT CAN NOT AND SHOULD NOT BE RELIED UPON AS DEFINITIVE MEDICAL OPINION OR ADVICE. ONLY THROUGH HANDS-ON PHYSICAL CONTACT WITH THE ACTUAL PATIENT CAN ACCURATE MEDICAL DIAGNOSIS BE ESTABLISHED AND SPECIFIC ADVICE BE GIVEN. NO DOCTOR/PATIENT RELATIONSHIP IS CREATED OR ESTABLISHED OR MAY BE INFERRED. THE QUESTIONER AND/OR READER IS INSTRUCTED TO CONSULT HIS OR HER OWN DOCTOR BEFORE PROCEEDING WITH ANY SUGGESTIONS CONTAINED HEREIN, AND TO ACT ONLY UPON HIS/HER OWN DOCTOR’S ORDERS AND RECOMMENDATIONS. BY THE READING OF MY POSTING WHICH FOLLOWS, THE READER STIPULATES AND CONFIRMS THAT HE/SHE FULLY UNDERSTANDS THIS DISCLAIMER AND HOLDS HARMLESS THIS WRITER. IF THIS IS NOT FULLY AGREEABLE TO YOU, THE READER, AND/OR YOU HAVE NOT ATTAINED THE AGE OF 18 YEARS, YOU HEREBY ARE ADMONISHED TO READ NO FURTHER.
    If it is true that you have these problems ONLY after an airplane trip, it would seem reasonable that it might be related either to changes in pressure or, thrombotic problems from long-term sitting. Other than that, I have no idea.

3. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

have the same problem minus the aircraft.....help