1. Welcome to the Foot Health Forum community where you can ask about foot problems and get help, as well as be up-to-date with the latest foot health information. Only registered members can ask a question, but you do not need to register to respond and give help. Please become part of the community (here) and check out the shop.

Treatment for burning feet

Discussion in 'Ask your questions here' started by 2burningfeet, Oct 25, 2008.

Tags:
  1. 2burningfeet

2burningfeet Guest

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    My feet become burning hot at night and I can't sleep until they cool down. This means I'm losing out on hours of valuable sleep. I've tried lying there with a fan blowing on them, spraying them with cold water, draping them with a wet towel and the fan blowing on them, walking on cold tiles or the hardwood floor, or elevating them. Still they will not cool down for about 3 hours or so. I'm so tired, I can't start getting up too much or my adrenaline will start going and there's no way I will sleep at all. I'm in my late 30's, I rarely if ever wear high heels, I mainly wear runners. My feet are not painful---just very burning hot and uncomfortable.

2. FootDoc

FootDoc New Member

DISCLAIMER:
    THE FOLLOWING IS OFFERED GRATIS AS GENERAL INFORMATION ONLY, AND, AS SUCH, MAY NOT BE APPLICABLE TO THE SPECIFIC QUESTIONER AND/OR HIS/HER PROBLEM. IT IS CLEARLY NOT BASED ON ACTUAL KNOWLEDGE AND/OR EXAMINATION OF THE QUESTIONER OR HIS/HER MEDICAL HISTORY, AND IT CAN NOT AND SHOULD NOT BE RELIED UPON AS DEFINITIVE MEDICAL OPINION OR ADVICE. ONLY THROUGH HANDS- ON PHYSICAL CONTACT WITH THE ACTUAL PATIENT CAN ACCURATE MEDICAL DIAGNOSIS BE ESTABLISHED AND SPECIFIC ADVICE BE GIVEN. NO DOCTOR/PATIENT RELATIONSHIP IS CREATED OR ESTABLISHED OR MAY BE INFERRED. THE QUESTIONER AND/OR READER IS INSTRUCTED TO CONSULT HIS OR HER OWN DOCTOR BEFORE PROCEEDING WITH ANY SUGGESTIONS CONTAINED HEREIN, AND TO ACT ONLY UPON HIS/HER OWN DOCTOR’S ORDERS AND RECOMMENDATIONS. BY THE READING OF MY POSTING WHICH FOLLOWS, THE READER STIPULATES AND CONFIRMS THAT HE/SHE FULLY UNDERSTANDS THIS DISCLAIMER AND HOLDS HARMLESS THIS WRITER. IF THIS IS NOT FULLY AGREEABLE TO YOU, THE READER, AND/OR YOU HAVE NOT ATTAINED THE AGE OF 18 YEARS, YOU HEREBY ARE ADMONISHED TO READ NO FURTHER.
    Although it really would be beyond any reasonable expectation that one could offer you a diagnosis and subsequent treatment recommendations without far more knowledge of and examination of your condition, the first place to start would likely be to determine whether the feet are actually hot or if you simply perceive them to be so. If it is perception rather than physical reality, one would have to consider a neurologic disorder, and the fact that it happens at night might be an indication that body position might be a factor. If they are actually hot, then that might indicate a circulation mediated disorder. But none of that will be settled here. I would recommend that you first see an internist to direct you to the correct specialty.

3. solesource

solesource New Member

I have found some insoles to leave my feet feeling hot even in mesh shoes - buy a new insole or swap them from another pair of shoes to see if it is the culprit. In my case i have used Liquid massaging Gel insoles.

Here are some of my tips. Try them and see if they cool your burning feet.

* After walking, immediately change out of your shoes and socks, allowing the shoes to dry.
    * Soak your feet in cool water - do not use ice.
    * Pain relievers such as aspirin or acetaminophen
    * Try changes in your shoes, socks, and insoles
    * Rotate your shoes and socks, both between walking sessions and during the day.
    * See your doctor for a checkup and mention the problem as well as any tingling, numbness, etc. in hands or other areas.

4. FootDoc

FootDoc New Member

ATTENTION margeret85:

This may or may not apply to the original questioner, but if small doses of aspirin dramatically help YOUR burning sensations, consider the possible diagnosis of erythermalgia and see your doctor.

5. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I have intense stinging and burning in one of my heels, it is very painful and stops me in my tracks. It happens anytime of the day or night and has a duration of about 20 to 30 seconds and then goes away until the next time. The frequency of the stinging is increasing through out the day and night. I haven't had any injuries and do not have any known medical conditions except Raynaulds in my fingers. Please help!!!

6. FootDoc

FootDoc New Member

DISCLAIMER:
    THE FOLLOWING IS OFFERED GRATIS AS GENERAL INFORMATION ONLY, AND, AS SUCH, MAY NOT BE APPLICABLE TO THE SPECIFIC QUESTIONER AND/OR HIS/HER PROBLEM. IT IS CLEARLY NOT BASED ON ACTUAL KNOWLEDGE AND/OR EXAMINATION OF THE QUESTIONER OR HIS/HER MEDICAL HISTORY, AND IT CAN NOT AND SHOULD NOT BE RELIED UPON AS DEFINITIVE MEDICAL OPINION OR ADVICE. ONLY THROUGH HANDS- ON PHYSICAL CONTACT WITH THE ACTUAL PATIENT CAN ACCURATE MEDICAL DIAGNOSIS BE ESTABLISHED AND SPECIFIC ADVICE BE GIVEN. NO DOCTOR/PATIENT RELATIONSHIP IS CREATED OR ESTABLISHED OR MAY BE INFERRED. THE QUESTIONER AND/OR READER IS INSTRUCTED TO CONSULT HIS OR HER OWN DOCTOR BEFORE PROCEEDING WITH ANY SUGGESTIONS CONTAINED HEREIN, AND TO ACT ONLY UPON HIS/HER OWN DOCTOR’S ORDERS AND RECOMMENDATIONS. BY THE READING OF MY POSTING WHICH FOLLOWS, THE READER STIPULATES AND CONFIRMS THAT HE/SHE FULLY UNDERSTANDS THIS DISCLAIMER AND HOLDS HARMLESS THIS WRITER. IF THIS IS NOT FULLY AGREEABLE TO YOU, THE READER, AND/OR YOU HAVE NOT ATTAINED THE AGE OF 18 YEARS, YOU HEREBY ARE ADMONISHED TO READ NO FURTHER.
    Burning which repeatedly presents for only 20 or 30 seconds in a well-delineated area would be at least suggestive of a transient pressure on a sensory nerve which serves the area. But there are many potential causes of burning sensations in the feet, which range from physical nerve involvement, to circulatory disorders, to metabolic conditions, to certain vitamin deficiencies, to other diseases and conditions, and these vary so greatly so as to often require a tedious medical investigation far beyond the scope of a forum such as this. If an initial visit to a good podiatrist does not produce reasonable answers, I would recommend that you see a good internist who might then direct you to the particular specialty which seems most appropriate.

7. ElizaD

ElizaD Guest

Here is a list of what I've been doing to improve my hot feet and lately hot hands as well, garnered both from the internet and talking to others with the same symptoms. which I have had for years. This dreadful problem has caused me such misery !! I only get the symptoms at night except when I drink too much alcohol trying to get to sleep (which I have stopped doing and would not recommend !!)

My doctor says this is not a 'medical problem' by the way, and is not interested. If he had it I'm sure he would change his mind !!!!!!! I was tested for diabetes which was negative.

1. Cut back massively on sugar/sweet items. Eat less fruit and carbohydrates especially if your tongue is white, which indicates systemic yeast problems. This includes NO alcohol in my case, as it makes my feet much worse.

2. Take sulfur tablets (available from health food stores) and B complex vitamins.

3. Cut back on wheat and avoid as many additives and chemicals as possible, including plastics, non stick pans etc. Watch for allergic reactions to food including a cough, arthritic pains which occur shortly after eating, many other reactions (google for a list) ! My feet get worse with spicy foods such as curry, chili etc. at night, although I seem to be okay if I eat them for lunch.

4. Do not drink chlorinated or ammonia treated water if possible, although I use it for cooking. Do drink lots of water. Eat dinner before 6 p.m. if possible and shortly afterwards drink at least one glass of water (two is better). Take one Vitamin C at this time.

5. Just before going to bed wash your feet in warm water, dry and apply lotion (chemical free). I've read that toxins exit your feet at night and washing them seems to help. Fill a large plastic dish with about 2 inches of water and leave it in the bathroom ready for later.

6. Do not get into bed with cold feet. This is always a disaster ! As you get into bed pull back the covers from your feet area. I find it best to use layered cotton blankets unless it's extremely cold.

7. As soon as your feet wake you, stand in the bowl of water for about a minute. Get back into bed with damp feet.

8. Wear leather shoes, or cotton socks with tennis shoes.

9. Do not use alcohol to sleep. Better to get sleeping pills from your doctor. Although they can be addicting and have side effects, they are better than alcohol and if you are like me, you can 'get over' the addiction once your feet improve. Since I only have insomnia because of my feet, I usually cut the pills in half. I don't know what part of the brain they affect, but even half a pill gets rid of the hot burning feeling.
    Good luck !!!!!!

8. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I have also suffered from the loss of sleep due to burning feet in the middle of the night. As a female in my late 20s I too had not found a way to physically cool them down; however, I found drinking plenty of water to prevent the burning from happening. I realized this on the day I had to go in for an ultrasound (to check IUD placement-not for medical concern). On this day I drank approx 2.8 L-not a lot but more than I had been drinking per day at the time. I slept so well-no hot feet! Not on any night where I'd had plenty of water during the day (not too close to bed time).
    Also, taking Calcium Magnesium in a liquid form in the afternoon &/ before bed to help with waking in the wee hours as well as help with a deeper more restful sleep.
    I hope this helps and that you will give it a try, I know it seems simple but I believe sometimes our bodies send small hints for what it needs which only get bigger until we're inconvenienced or aware enough to listen.
    (If the burning continues...I did also find that if you squeeze your feet with your hands a few times the burning releases)

9. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Re: Treatment for burning feet (HELP)

Hi there, My name is Jenna. I am currently 21 years old and i have been experiencing the same thing ( on and off for many years).. No its not f figment of my imagination... My parner can feel how hot they get at night as i generally rest my feet upon his as they are much cooler than mine. I have to get out of bed at least 3 or 4 times to stand in a SUPER COLD shower and wet from my waist down and go to bed wet.. this is when i get sligght relief .. however sometimes it gets worse from doing then.. I then go to sleep when i so worn out i cant stand it any longer. (this does take quiet awhile sometimes) PLEASE HELP ME!!!

10. ce2two

ce2two New Member

Do you have flat feet and did this burning sensation come after much pain in the archs in the feet..

11. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

It has been suggested "hot feet" may be related to restless leg syndrome. Worth checking. My dermatologist recently suggested erythromelalgia as a diagnosis. Worth looking in to. Can be a VERY frustrating and uncomfortable condition. I totally relate.

12. Windbreaker

Windbreaker New Member

You might want to try" Neuragen PN". You can read about it at www.neuragen.com

13. Sknuettel

Sknuettel Guest

I'm in my early 20's and have had this problem for many years and it has gotten worse as I get older. I was having to get up every night to soak my feet in ice cold water and was losing a lot of sleep. My feet turn blood red and you can feel the heat coming off of them. I finally went to the foot doctor and they diagnosed it as burning foot syndrom which is basically where you have too much blood flow through your feet. The foot doctor prescibed me a compounded cream to put on them at night. It is amazing how much it has helped my feet and I would definitely recommend it to anyone having this problem. It is not really a cooling cream but seems like it calms the nerves which makes your feet cool off. I do notice however that when I have been on my feet for long periods of time or have been drinking alcohol, the hotness in my feet gets worse. Hope I have helped.

14. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

What is the name of the cream. Just read it off of the label.

15. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

So glad to see that there are others out there with this problem. I do wrap my feet in a cool washcloth and/or stand in ice cold water before bed. It seems to worsen in the summer but I'm not sure why.
    I wonder if anyone else had frozen feet/frostbite when they were young? Just wondering if there is a correlation between the two?

16. hugh11

hugh11 Guest

Following on from what the lady Sknuettel was saying. I think she is right about it being something to do with dehydration. I am a man in my 20's and get hot, dry feet and sometimes hands wakening me at night, relieved by moistening them with water. I find it much worse after drinking caffeine (copious amounts of tea), or having sugary foods at night. These both have diuretic effects, making you dehydrated. I have found avoiding tea after about 7 o'clock helps and drinking lots of water earlier on in the day helps. It can be hard to make yourself do sometimes but I think it helps.

17. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Not a cure, but at night in bed I find resting my poor old burning feet on a couple of rubber 'hot water bottles' filled with really cold water a relief.

18. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

What is th name of the cream.

19. Carole2

Carole2 Guest

I have suffered with this for as long as I can remember... As a small child I used to call it claustrophobic feet and thought I was mad. Now I know others suffer too. I have none of the conditions that apparently cause this problem

I have recently started putting a pair of socks under cold water and wearing them... it really helps. It isn't very attractive but it does help me sleep.

20. clintoncerejo

clintoncerejo New Member

I find these ways helpful in preventing the burning foot problem.

1. hot socks
    2. Athlete's Foot
    3. Peripheral Neuropathy