1. Welcome to the Foot Health Forum community where you can ask about foot problems and get help, as well as be up-to-date with the latest foot health information. Only registered members can ask a question, but you do not need to register to respond and give help. Please become part of the community (here) and check out the shop.

Right Big Toe Fusion Today...

Discussion in 'Ask your questions here' started by nongard1, Dec 18, 2009.

1. nongard1

nongard1 Guest

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    Just had fusion of Right Big Toe today due to arthritis. I feel great this afteroon, now that the anesthesia has worn off, have kept my foot iced and elevated. Here is my question (I just found this forum tonight, it's great!):

I have a surgical boot thing rather than a cast. They said ice ankle 2 hours on and one hour off. The instructions say do not get it wet and do not remove boot. However, the ice doenst seem to really penetrate the boot, the boot is very sturdy. Is the ice really doing its job? Any tips or tricks from others to avoid swelling and promote healing...

Aslo, how does one sleep with this monster boot, it feels like I am wearing a ski boot! LOL

Richard

2. FootDoc

FootDoc New Member

DISCLAIMER:
    THE FOLLOWING IS OFFERED GRATIS AS GENERAL INFORMATION ONLY, AND, AS SUCH, MAY NOT BE APPLICABLE TO THE SPECIFIC QUESTIONER AND/OR HIS/HER PROBLEM. IT IS CLEARLY NOT BASED ON ACTUAL KNOWLEDGE AND/OR EXAMINATION OF THE QUESTIONER OR HIS/HER MEDICAL HISTORY, AND IT CAN NOT AND SHOULD NOT BE RELIED UPON AS DEFINITIVE MEDICAL OPINION OR ADVICE. ONLY THROUGH HANDS-ON PHYSICAL CONTACT WITH THE ACTUAL PATIENT CAN ACCURATE MEDICAL DIAGNOSIS BE ESTABLISHED AND SPECIFIC ADVICE BE GIVEN. NO DOCTOR/PATIENT RELATIONSHIP IS CREATED OR ESTABLISHED OR MAY BE INFERRED. THE QUESTIONER AND/OR READER IS INSTRUCTED TO CONSULT HIS OR HER OWN DOCTOR BEFORE PROCEEDING WITH ANY SUGGESTIONS CONTAINED HEREIN, AND TO ACT ONLY UPON HIS/HER OWN DOCTOR’S ORDERS AND RECOMMENDATIONS. BY THE READING OF MY POSTING WHICH FOLLOWS, THE READER STIPULATES AND CONFIRMS THAT HE/SHE FULLY UNDERSTANDS THIS DISCLAIMER AND HOLDS HARMLESS THIS WRITER. IF THIS IS NOT FULLY AGREEABLE TO YOU, THE READER, AND/OR YOU HAVE NOT ATTAINED THE AGE OF 18 YEARS, YOU HEREBY ARE ADMONISHED TO READ NO FURTHER.
    The use and method of use of ice after a surgery is dependent upon the protocol of the individual surgeon. I personally almost never advise ice after a surgery, as in my opinion, it can cause critical further insult to tissues already compromised in surgery and I don't feel that trusting the patient to be appropriately and judicious in its use is in either of our best interests. In my opinion, that is generally more important than any benefits of the use of ice. But other surgeons feel otherwise, and advise icing routinely after surgery. I tailor my post-operative instructions to the individual patient, and do not allow ancillary personnel to give them. If that is the case with your doctor, I would suggest to you that your doctor should be well aware that you are using a boot, and if he/she wished you to take the boot off to ice the foot, and according to you you have been told not to remove it, you would have been told to do so. Why not check directly with your doctor? As far as sleeping with a boot . . who said it would be comfortable? Comfort is not the purpose of casts and boots. Be thankful that you didn't have surgery that would require you to have to sleep in a full thigh-length cast. But REALLY . . it is terribly inappropriate to be going on the Internet for post operative instructions the very day that you had surgery. If your doctor was trustworthy enough to cut upon you, shouldn't he/she be the one to answer your questions about his/her preferences for your care. If you were MY patient, I would be FURIOUS. But then, I care seriously for and take full responsibility for MY patients. Perhaps YOUR doctor does to. Why not check directly with him/her?

Last edited: Dec 18, 2009