1. Welcome to the Foot Health Forum community where you can ask about foot problems and get help, as well as be up-to-date with the latest foot health information. Only registered members can ask a question, but you do not need to register to respond and give help. Please become part of the community (here) and check out the shop.

Broken 3rd Metatarsal

Discussion in 'Ask your questions here' started by Unregistered, Aug 20, 2009.

1. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    I was wandering if anyone knows how long it will take for me to be back on my feet?

I broke my 3rd Metatarsal about 2 weeks ago and there is still brusing on my toes am in a plaster cast and im getting Cabin fever!! I am a very active person i do 3 spin classes a week, dance, mixed martial arts, run, weight classes etc a bit of everything and even though i realise that i wont be able to most of these yet is there any chance i can start doing some? and when can i start wearing two shoes again? I havent been giving much info have to go back on the 24th but i dont even know why? I have managed to put a little weight on it and there is a dull ache but not extreme pain? is this a good sign? is it good to wiggle you toes? advice anything gratefully recieved?

2. FootDoc

FootDoc New Member

DISCLAIMER:
    THE FOLLOWING IS OFFERED GRATIS AS GENERAL INFORMATION ONLY, AND, AS SUCH, MAY NOT BE APPLICABLE TO THE SPECIFIC QUESTIONER AND/OR HIS/HER PROBLEM. IT IS CLEARLY NOT BASED ON ACTUAL KNOWLEDGE AND/OR EXAMINATION OF THE QUESTIONER OR HIS/HER MEDICAL HISTORY, AND IT CAN NOT AND SHOULD NOT BE RELIED UPON AS DEFINITIVE MEDICAL OPINION OR ADVICE. ONLY THROUGH HANDS-ON PHYSICAL CONTACT WITH THE ACTUAL PATIENT CAN ACCURATE MEDICAL DIAGNOSIS BE ESTABLISHED AND SPECIFIC ADVICE BE GIVEN. NO DOCTOR/PATIENT RELATIONSHIP IS CREATED OR ESTABLISHED OR MAY BE INFERRED. THE QUESTIONER AND/OR READER IS INSTRUCTED TO CONSULT HIS OR HER OWN DOCTOR BEFORE PROCEEDING WITH ANY SUGGESTIONS CONTAINED HEREIN, AND TO ACT ONLY UPON HIS/HER OWN DOCTOR’S ORDERS AND RECOMMENDATIONS. BY THE READING OF MY POSTING WHICH FOLLOWS, THE READER STIPULATES AND CONFIRMS THAT HE/SHE FULLY UNDERSTANDS THIS DISCLAIMER AND HOLDS HARMLESS THIS WRITER. IF THIS IS NOT FULLY AGREEABLE TO YOU, THE READER, AND/OR YOU HAVE NOT ATTAINED THE AGE OF 18 YEARS, YOU HEREBY ARE ADMONISHED TO READ NO FURTHER.
    First of all, more important than a direct answer to your questions is to ask you to consider why are you willing to pay a doctor for services from whom you are not willing to ask for and demand understandable answers to ALL of the questions you have in order to keep you well informed and satiate your concerns, as certainly that doctor should be able to supply you with far more accurate advice than you can glean from others who have no specific knowledge of you or your case?

A properly treated, uncomplicated fracture of a third metatarsal in an otherwise healthy individual which does not require special treatment, open reduction or internal fixation and which incurs no bony union problems generally attains bone healing in about 6 weeks. But fractures do not occur in a vacuum, and there is most always collateral soft-tissue damage which, on some occasions, can present a more serious and longer lasting problem than the fracture itself. How much swelling one might have and how long it might persist and what lingering disability there might be and whether overt physical therapy will me necessary and how long it will be before one might resume all activities is individual to each patient, but it certainly would be terribly unwise not to have the approval of your doctor prior to engaging in any activities potentially harmful to your recovery.

My bottom line advice . . Talk with your doctor and don't stop talking and don't stop asking questions until you get the understandable answers you need.