1. Welcome to the Foot Health Forum community where you can ask about foot problems and get help, as well as be up-to-date with the latest foot health information. Only registered members can ask a question, but you do not need to register to respond and give help. Please become part of the community (here) and check out the shop.

A small red lump on top of the foot

Discussion in 'Ask your questions here' started by Unregistered, Aug 3, 2009.

1. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    Hello. I just found this forum today and I thought perhaps I can pick the foot doctor's brain a little bit before I see a podiatrist. I have a habit of blowing things out of proportion and I'd like an opinion.

I'm in the United States, in Ohio, and I have what looks and feels like a red blister on the top of my foot, almost near the center, maybe the size of a pea. It seems that a heated compress makes it less irritated, but I feel a bit of pain when I rub it. I've had this on my foot for a few months, and I really didn't think anything of it, but the amount of time I've had it worries me a little. I don't see any sign of spreading, or swelling elsewhere and it really isn't affecting any activities. The pain isn't so bad that it's unbearable at least, which is good.

My housemate thinks it could just be a simple boil.

I've not told anyone about this yet. I do have severe toenail fungus which has affected me for close to 7 years now, and hasn't gone away yet. I have tried a lot of things to try to get rid of it entirely as well, but I'm open to other suggestions on that front. If the fungus is starting to have an effect on my foot, that does concern me too.

Anyway, thank you for any advice. :)

Paul

2. FootDoc

FootDoc New Member

DISCLAIMER:
    THE FOLLOWING IS OFFERED GRATIS AS GENERAL INFORMATION ONLY, AND, AS SUCH, MAY NOT BE APPLICABLE TO THE SPECIFIC QUESTIONER AND/OR HIS/HER PROBLEM. IT IS CLEARLY NOT BASED ON ACTUAL KNOWLEDGE AND/OR EXAMINATION OF THE QUESTIONER OR HIS/HER MEDICAL HISTORY, AND IT CAN NOT AND SHOULD NOT BE RELIED UPON AS DEFINITIVE MEDICAL OPINION OR ADVICE. ONLY THROUGH HANDS-ON PHYSICAL CONTACT WITH THE ACTUAL PATIENT CAN ACCURATE MEDICAL DIAGNOSIS BE ESTABLISHED AND SPECIFIC ADVICE BE GIVEN. NO DOCTOR/PATIENT RELATIONSHIP IS CREATED OR ESTABLISHED OR MAY BE INFERRED. THE QUESTIONER AND/OR READER IS INSTRUCTED TO CONSULT HIS OR HER OWN DOCTOR BEFORE PROCEEDING WITH ANY SUGGESTIONS CONTAINED HEREIN, AND TO ACT ONLY UPON HIS/HER OWN DOCTOR’S ORDERS AND RECOMMENDATIONS. BY THE READING OF MY POSTING WHICH FOLLOWS, THE READER STIPULATES AND CONFIRMS THAT HE/SHE FULLY UNDERSTANDS THIS DISCLAIMER AND HOLDS HARMLESS THIS WRITER. IF THIS IS NOT FULLY AGREEABLE TO YOU, THE READER, AND/OR YOU HAVE NOT ATTAINED THE AGE OF 18 YEARS, YOU HEREBY ARE ADMONISHED TO READ NO FURTHER.
    All lumps require a knowledgeable hands-on evaluation and you should not have expectations of a meaningful answer which would address your concerns without one. It would, however, not be reasonable to assume that either a blister or a boil would remain unchanged for a few months. I have to wonder, as you admit to being a worrier, why you have waited so long to have it looked at.

3. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I guess I waited because I didn't think it was a big deal, and I still don't. I wanted an honest opinion before I start to fret though. The toenail fungus IS a big deal to me, since I've had that for so long, and wanted to make sure one malady didn't cause another. Thank you for your response. I'll assume this is a boil and treat it as I should.

Paul

4. FootDoc

FootDoc New Member

Hey, now . . . wait a minute. You started off your original post by claiming that you have "a habit of blowing things out of proportion." Now you say that "you didn't think it was a big deal" and so you want an opinion that would obviously be baseless without an examination in order to "keep you from fretting"?? Think about what you have said and are now saying. The only truly reasonable way to obtain ANY of the above expectations is to have a hands-on examination.

5. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Do you honestly have to psychoanalyze me here?

Let's both us of stick to what we're good at, shall we? I don't need to be told I may or may not be taking things out of context. I wanted an educated answer to my question and maybe some advice, that's it.

6. FootDoc

FootDoc New Member

I would judge that perhaps I hit a nerve which has probably been hit before. But my response had nothing to do with psychoanalysis . . . merely two statements from you in diametric opposition regarded your intent. In a forum venue, words are the only thing of importance, and it was YOUR words which elicited my wonderment. A diagnostician is trained to look for consistencies in a patient's story which often reveal more than or different than what the patient actually says. In this case, it was your first statement that you "tend to blow things out of proportion," If that means "out of context," it way YOU not ME who said it. Then in your followup you claimed that you thought your situation to be "no big deal." These are NOT consistent statements and rightfully caused me to wonder. But getting back to your point of education. Often the more important education that I can offer is not a direct answer to the poster's question. I would deem the offered education in this case to be that it is patently foolish to attempt to mitigate ones concerns by soliciting information which is necessarily supplied without the basis generally required for such an opinion. The bottom line is that if you want ANY sort of resolution, both regarding your concerns as to what the lesion is and its cure, you need to have a hands-on examination, and what may or may not be offered to you in a forum is not going to solve EITHER problem. All that being said . . when you solicit answers to a question in a forum where nothing is asked of you in return, you get what you get. If not satisfied, simply move on and either obtain other pro-bono advice or pay for it . . in which case you might have a right to complain and/or receive back the remuneration offered.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2009