1. Welcome to the Foot Health Forum community where you can ask about foot problems and get help, as well as be up-to-date with the latest foot health information. Only registered members can ask a question, but you do not need to register to respond and give help. Please become part of the community (here) and check out the shop.

Broken 3rd & 4th metatarsals chipped 2nd metatarsal

Discussion in 'Ask your questions here' started by Unregistered, Jul 14, 2008.

1. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    My 22 year old son(who still lives in my home) broke the 3rd and 4th metatarsals and chipped the 2nd metatarsal the 4th of July while I was on vacation. I did not return until Sun July 13th so all of this was while I was gone. The emergency room doctor said surgery and scheduled for Mon the 7th. The two metatarsal fractures were displaced fractures. The x-ray showed that the 3rd and 4th were not lined up but more like this ( 'l ) next to one another. The orthopedist said no surgery and they would heal on their own. Sent him home with a bunion boot that he could wear if he wanted or not.He is not wearing. Did not limit weight bearing. He is scheduled for a recheck on Mon the 21st of July. The foot still has a good amount of swelling, pain and a green tinge of bruising although my son says the swelling is alot less than what it was. My thoughts are how will the bones go back to position on their own with no guidance? I am concerned about the proper care required for healing as the Dr did not really set any guidelines ie elevation, ice etc. I am not ruling out that my son did not listen well and would like to know your thoughts.
    My son has no income if he is not working and his job could be in jeopardy if the healing takes longer than the expected 6 weeks.
    Thanks for any input

2. FootDoc

FootDoc New Member

DISCLAIMER:
    THE FOLLOWING IS OFFERED GRATIS AS GENERAL INFORMATION ONLY, AND, AS SUCH, MAY NOT BE APPLICABLE TO THE SPECIFIC QUESTIONER AND/OR HIS/HER PROBLEM. IT IS CLEARLY NOT BASED ON ACTUAL KNOWLEDGE AND/OR EXAMINATION OF THE QUESTIONER OR HIS/HER MEDICAL HISTORY, AND IT CAN NOT AND SHOULD NOT BE RELIED UPON AS DEFINITIVE MEDICAL OPINION OR ADVICE. ONLY THROUGH HANDS- ON PHYSICAL CONTACT WITH THE ACTUAL PATIENT CAN ACCURATE MEDICAL DIAGNOSIS BE ESTABLISHED AND SPECIFIC ADVICE BE GIVEN. NO DOCTOR/PATIENT RELATIONSHIP IS CREATED OR ESTABLISHED OR MAY BE INFERRED. THE QUESTIONER AND/OR READER IS INSTRUCTED TO CONSULT HIS OR HER OWN DOCTOR BEFORE PROCEEDING WITH ANY SUGGESTIONS CONTAINED HEREIN, AND TO ACT ONLY UPON HIS/HER OWN DOCTOR’S ORDERS AND RECOMMENDATIONS. BY THE READING OF MY POSTING WHICH FOLLOWS, THE READER STIPULATES AND CONFIRMS THAT HE/SHE FULLY UNDERSTANDS THIS DISCLAIMER AND HOLDS HARMLESS THIS WRITER. IF THIS IS NOT FULLY AGREEABLE TO YOU, THE READER, AND/OR YOU HAVE NOT ATTAINED THE AGE OF 18 YEARS, YOU HEREBY ARE ADMONISHED TO READ NO FURTHER.
    First, I find it interesting that you felt it necessary to add "(who still lives in my home) ." Perhaps a little passive aggressive on you part . . no ??

Now, to the meat of the issue. Of course, I cannot give you advice on which you might specifically rely in a case which I have not examined and on which I must rely on only hear-say from a possibly less than reliable source. But I can make some general comments which might or might not apply to this situation.

If the bones are displaced, as you indicated, other than by either closed reduction (by traction, manipulation and repositioning) or by open surgical intervention will the they accurately line up as they had been prior to the incident. But that does not mean that healing cannot take place, as long as there is there is contact and non-movement of the fracture segments, although, under such conditions, healing will generally be slower and perhaps less certain to be uncomplicated. Assuming that healing eventually takes place, the body will generally remodel the resultant lump in the bone over time, but it will always be evident on x-ray that a significant fracture had occurred. As far as the doctor's not giving guidelines as to supportive measures such as ice and elevation, I think that your guess that your son did not listen well is probably the case. But that certainly does not prevent him, or even you, from checking with the doctor by phone for further instructions.

As far as how long it will take . . it is what it is, and that won't change because his job won't wait. But healing of a metatarsal fracture with proper care and patient diligence (and it seems unlikely that this one will meet that standard) takes 6 weeks or so . . give or take. How much post healing swelling and disability one suffers is patient and activity dependent, but stabilization of the fracture segments during the healing process, either by internal or external fixation is key to prompt and adequate healing. If he wants the optimum result possible, he had best take it more seriously than apparently he has. Owning to your seeming concern for the proper decision making capability of your son, I would suggest that you get directly involved, although government privacy regulations require that it will require his expressed permission. Good luck!!

Last edited: Jul 14, 2008
  3. FootDoc

FootDoc New Member

DISCLAIMER:
    THE FOLLOWING IS OFFERED GRATIS AS GENERAL INFORMATION ONLY, AND, AS SUCH, MAY NOT BE APPLICABLE TO THE SPECIFIC QUESTIONER AND/OR HIS/HER PROBLEM. IT IS CLEARLY NOT BASED ON ACTUAL KNOWLEDGE AND/OR EXAMINATION OF THE QUESTIONER OR HIS/HER MEDICAL HISTORY, AND IT CAN NOT AND SHOULD NOT BE RELIED UPON AS DEFINITIVE MEDICAL OPINION OR ADVICE. ONLY THROUGH HANDS- ON PHYSICAL CONTACT WITH THE ACTUAL PATIENT CAN ACCURATE MEDICAL DIAGNOSIS BE ESTABLISHED AND SPECIFIC ADVICE BE GIVEN. NO DOCTOR/PATIENT RELATIONSHIP IS CREATED OR ESTABLISHED OR MAY BE INFERRED. THE QUESTIONER AND/OR READER IS INSTRUCTED TO CONSULT HIS OR HER OWN DOCTOR BEFORE PROCEEDING WITH ANY SUGGESTIONS CONTAINED HEREIN, AND TO ACT ONLY UPON HIS/HER OWN DOCTOR’S ORDERS AND RECOMMENDATIONS. BY THE
    READING OF MY POSTING WHICH FOLLOWS, THE READER STIPULATES AND CONFIRMS THAT HE/SHE FULLY UNDERSTANDS THIS DISCLAIMER AND HOLDS HARMLESS THIS WRITER. IF THIS IS NOT FULLY AGREEABLE TO YOU, THE READER, AND/OR YOU HAVE NOT ATTAINED THE AGE OF 18 YEARS, YOU HEREBY ARE ADMONISHED TO READ NO FURTHER.

One possible complication which I didn't mention . . . When adjacent fractures are displaced and line up side by side, such as may be the case with these 3rd and 4th metatarsal fractures, it is possible that a healing bridge might take place between the metatarsals, and should that occur, it is undesirable, as it will negate the ability of the metatarsals to move independently. Under such condition, surgical intervention might be deemed necessary, but that is a judgment to be made by the attending doctor.

4. chris james

chris james Guest

This concerned mother is asking for medical advice, not snide comments about passive aggression on her part. You have abused your role and position in this health forum.

5. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

What a complete jerk you are footdoc, you're not a psychologist but certainly NEED to SEE ONE YOURSELF. bET u wish us were more than a lowly podiatrist.

6. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Well, I do not understand why you said the doctor said no icing, elevation etc. I broke my 4th medatarsal and the doctor told me to ice and elevate. I was in a 4 week full-leg fiberglass cast, and once the cast was removed I was refined from any physical activity for 3 weeks. All I could do was swim.

By the way, check out my cool website: www.cooliobeans.tk

Last edited: Jun 18, 2009
  7. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I see this is an old thread but my experience..

I appreciate the information FootDoc has given. Recently split my 3rd metacarpal on my right foot. Lots of bruising and took 10days before I could even get a proper cast set, wore wraps and a fiberclass footbase till then. Being non weight bearing is important for any bone break. Most you can do if allowed is train under water, helps blood flow and gives less stress but enough that your foot wont get stiff.

Can't stress the non weight bearing. Bones must be immobile and get good blood circulation to heal properly, and this needs to take place as soon as possible. Sprains and muscle tears can be worked with and put weight/stress on to help the healing, you do run the risk of re-injuring yourself. But its required to achieve full range and proper healing, bones are the opposite.

I again appreciate the FootDocs advice, and the rest of you not contributing and just whining, are probably living at home, you bums.. And any Doctor, in any specialty deserves respect. Foot, eye, etc. When you get hurt you'll be looking for one too you ignorant ranter.

8. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I broke 2nd metatarsal and hairline fractured 3rd and 4th. I went to ER and had Xray then was sent to orthopedist. He gave me a walking boot. I have been staying off it and am really concerned about the lack of muscle tone and how long the recovery after the 6 weeks off the foot. Do you have any comments or advice?

9. FootDoc

FootDoc New Member

DISCLAIMER:
    THE FOLLOWING IS OFFERED GRATIS AS GENERAL INFORMATION ONLY, AND, AS SUCH, MAY NOT BE APPLICABLE TO THE SPECIFIC QUESTIONER AND/OR HIS/HER PROBLEM. IT IS CLEARLY NOT BASED ON ACTUAL KNOWLEDGE AND/OR EXAMINATION OF THE QUESTIONER OR HIS/HER MEDICAL HISTORY, AND IT CAN NOT AND SHOULD NOT BE RELIED UPON AS DEFINITIVE MEDICAL OPINION OR ADVICE. ONLY THROUGH HANDS-ON PHYSICAL CONTACT WITH THE ACTUAL PATIENT CAN ACCURATE MEDICAL DIAGNOSIS BE ESTABLISHED AND SPECIFIC ADVICE BE GIVEN. NO DOCTOR/PATIENT RELATIONSHIP IS CREATED OR ESTABLISHED OR MAY BE INFERRED. THE QUESTIONER AND/OR READER IS INSTRUCTED TO CONSULT HIS OR HER OWN DOCTOR BEFORE PROCEEDING WITH ANY SUGGESTIONS CONTAINED HEREIN, AND TO ACT ONLY UPON HIS/HER OWN DOCTOR’S ORDERS AND RECOMMENDATIONS. BY THE READING OF MY POSTING WHICH FOLLOWS, THE READER STIPULATES AND CONFIRMS THAT HE/SHE FULLY UNDERSTANDS THIS DISCLAIMER AND HOLDS HARMLESS THIS WRITER. IF THIS IS NOT FULLY AGREEABLE TO YOU, THE READER, OR YOU HAVE NOT ATTAINED THE AGE OF 18 YEARS, YOU HEREBY ARE ADMONISHED TO READ NO FURTHER.
    I don't have any basis for commenting upon your injury or its treatment as I have no real details on which to base an opinion. If the orthopedist gave you a walking boot, might I not assume that he was not placing you on non-weight-bearing? However, one cannot walk with a normal gait with such a boot as I infer you were supplied and muscle activity will be different than normal. I don't understand the sentence, " . . . am really concerned about the lack of muscle tone and how long the recovery after the 6 weeks off the foot." I would advise that you check with your doctor as it appears that you think you should not be walking and it would seem to me that a walking boot is usually given with the intention that the patient is to walk. Just another example of why it is not sensible to obtain opinions, advice and instructions about specific cases from someone who doesn't know you, the status of your injury or your doctor's thought process or intentions.

10. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Hi everyone,
    I broke my second met. and waited three days before going to the er. The doctor took xrays and they put a splint on my foot that goes up to my knee and told me I also had to use crutches. My pain has gotten worse every day but nothing that is unberable. My swelling is also getting worse but I don't have very much bruising at all. Is this all normal? And also I feel like I might have hairline fractures in the 3rd and 4th because it hurts just as bad as my 2nd met. is this something I should tell my orthopedic about when I go see him tomorow? And is it possible for one doctor to miss something like that or is the pain there normal with a broken 2nd met? I am also very concerned about getting enough rest I attend college three days a week and I have a lot of walking to do and will not be able to elevate my foot for about 7 hours on those days? Will that affect my healing process?

Thank you

11. FootDoc

FootDoc New Member

DISCLAIMER:
    THE FOLLOWING IS OFFERED GRATIS AS GENERAL INFORMATION ONLY, AND, AS SUCH, MAY NOT BE APPLICABLE TO THE SPECIFIC QUESTIONER AND/OR HIS/HER PROBLEM. IT IS CLEARLY NOT BASED ON ACTUAL KNOWLEDGE AND/OR EXAMINATION OF THE QUESTIONER OR HIS/HER MEDICAL HISTORY, AND IT CAN NOT AND SHOULD NOT BE RELIED UPON AS DEFINITIVE MEDICAL OPINION OR ADVICE. ONLY THROUGH HANDS- ON PHYSICAL CONTACT WITH THE ACTUAL PATIENT CAN ACCURATE MEDICAL DIAGNOSIS BE ESTABLISHED AND SPECIFIC ADVICE BE GIVEN. NO DOCTOR/PATIENT RELATIONSHIP IS CREATED OR ESTABLISHED OR MAY BE INFERRED. THE QUESTIONER AND/OR READER IS INSTRUCTED TO CONSULT HIS OR HER OWN DOCTOR BEFORE PROCEEDING WITH ANY SUGGESTIONS CONTAINED HEREIN, AND TO ACT ONLY UPON HIS/HER OWN DOCTOR’S ORDERS AND RECOMMENDATIONS. BY THE READING OF MY POSTING WHICH FOLLOWS, THE READER STIPULATES AND CONFIRMS THAT HE/SHE FULLY UNDERSTANDS THIS DISCLAIMER AND HOLDS HARMLESS THIS WRITER. IF THIS IS NOT FULLY AGREEABLE TO YOU, THE READER, OR YOU HAVE NOT ATTAINED THE AGE OF 18 YEARS, YOU HEREBY ARE ADMONISHED TO READ NO FURTHER.
    "Normal" is not a word that should be invoked in regard to a trauma which has resulted in a fracture. Certainly, pain getting worse instead of better is not a positive sign, but it really requires a hands-on evaluation to determine if it portends anything serious as far as your prognosis is concerned. Swelling is almost always present after trauma to an extremity. It generally reaches a peak and then tapers off unless additional trauma occurs. Elevation of the limb is generally helpful. Bruising is the appearance of extra-vascular blood and blood products which drain into the skin. The presence or lack of bruising is not necessarily meaningful as far as your progress is concerned.

Owing to the fact that you didn't have your foot evaluated for 3 days after the fracture, I don't know why you now think you can tell that you have more fractures. But of course you should tell your doctor about pains you are experiencing.

Of COURSE fractures can be missed. Pain is common after a fracture and trauma which causes a fracture almost invariably causes other damage, but not necessarily more fractures.

Failure to elevate the limb often enough and long enough will certainly add to the propensity for persistent swelling, but unless the swelling is sufficient to mitigate circulation, it's effect on bone union is doubtful.

Having answered your questions as best I can without ever having seen you, you really need to know that the Internet is no place of obtain information upon which you should rely for questions regarding ongoing medical care. If you have chosen your doctor wisely, he/she is the one who should be answering your questions.

12. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Thank you very much, I do have an appointment with an orthopedic surgeon Friday morning.

13. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

My orthopedic told me I was born with my medial sesamoid bone in two pieces? Is this uncommon?

14. FootDoc

FootDoc New Member

A sesamoid bone is one which naturally forms within a tendon. Their function is to afford greater mechanical advantage to the tendon in which they are invested by virtue of the angular off-set which results by their presence. The largest sesamoid bone in the body is the patella or knee cap. What you are describing is termed a bipartite sesamoid. It is a common, often incidentally found variance, generally the result of incomplete ossification of the bone and generally the two pieces are connected by a firbro-cartilaginous bridge. Bipartites sesamoids beneath the first metatarsal head are most frequently asymptomatic.

15. Jax

Jax New Member

I broke my 2nd metatarsal about 8 weeks ago. I saw my doctor again 2 weeks ago and he said there is new bone growth and to use my boot for the next 2 weeks then walk with a shoe. What kind of shoe do you think is the best when you are walking for the first time? How long should I be walking on it? Do you have any other advice?

16. FootDoc

FootDoc New Member

DISCLAIMER:
    THE FOLLOWING IS OFFERED GRATIS AS GENERAL INFORMATION ONLY, AND, AS SUCH, MAY NOT BE APPLICABLE TO THE SPECIFIC QUESTIONER AND/OR HIS/HER PROBLEM. IT IS CLEARLY NOT BASED ON ACTUAL KNOWLEDGE AND/OR EXAMINATION OF THE QUESTIONER OR HIS/HER MEDICAL HISTORY, AND IT CAN NOT AND SHOULD NOT BE RELIED UPON AS DEFINITIVE MEDICAL OPINION OR ADVICE. ONLY THROUGH HANDS- ON PHYSICAL CONTACT WITH THE ACTUAL PATIENT CAN ACCURATE MEDICAL DIAGNOSIS BE ESTABLISHED AND SPECIFIC ADVICE BE GIVEN. NO DOCTOR/PATIENT RELATIONSHIP IS CREATED OR ESTABLISHED OR MAY BE INFERRED. THE QUESTIONER AND/OR READER IS INSTRUCTED TO CONSULT HIS OR HER OWN DOCTOR BEFORE PROCEEDING WITH ANY SUGGESTIONS CONTAINED HEREIN, AND TO ACT ONLY UPON HIS/HER OWN DOCTOR’S ORDERS AND RECOMMENDATIONS. BY THE READING OF MY POSTING WHICH FOLLOWS, THE READER STIPULATES AND CONFIRMS THAT HE/SHE FULLY UNDERSTANDS THIS DISCLAIMER AND HOLDS HARMLESS THIS WRITER. IF THIS IS NOT FULLY AGREEABLE TO YOU, THE READER, OR YOU HAVE NOT ATTAINED THE AGE OF 18 YEARS, YOU HEREBY ARE ADMONISHED TO READ NO FURTHER.
    An uncomplicated non-displaced fracture of a second metatarsal normally takes about 6 weeks to heal in a healthy individual in which the fracture has been properly immobilized. The vast majority of my similarly fractured patients would not still be in a boot after 8 weeks, so I suspect that your healing has not progressed as quickly as it might have. Why aren't you asking your own doctor's advice as to what sort of shoe he wants you in when out of the boot? My advice would be to ask him.

17. Jax

Jax New Member

Thank you for your response Foot Doc. The doctor I am seeing is in an extremely busy office. He has spent about 10 minutes with me in 3 visits. I even called to get some advice and it took 3 days for him to call back. I have no insurance and this is the office the ER referred me to. I was just hoping for some extra advice. I have never broken a bone before. This has been a really lonely and depressing injury.

18. FootDoc

FootDoc New Member

I offer my time here to offer information and give advice when appropriate, and I have two areas of comment regarding your response to my answer to your question. First, are you getting a discount from the doctor because he has taken on too many patients or is too busy or unwilling to give you the service to which you entitled and I guarantee you are paying for? And secondly, if you knew that your doctor is too busy or unwilling to return your calls and answer your questions in a reasonable amount of time, don't you think that you should have immediately asked him what sort of shoe he recommends the minute he told you to switch to a shoe? wouldn't that have been a reasonable thing to do? Please don't give me guff for implying that your inaction is part of the problem here. If you want to give out guff, then it is your doctor who you are paying for poor service who should get it.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2010
  19. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I fell and broke my 3rd 3mo ago. I wore a boot for 2 mo. I have been out of the boot 1mo. yesterday I saw the ortho dr. he said it is healing come back in 1 mo. It is still very painful and has some swelling. He said maybe he would want to do a gastroc slide??? I really dont feel comfortable with that. He also said to get a dexa scan, I had a good one 2 years ago. He also suggested HOKA running shoes. Im not a runner, I am a cyclist. I guess I want to know does the pain and swelling last for months after the break, and why on earth would he want to do a gastroc slide?? Yes I did ask him and he said it may relieve some of the pain. I think he is grasping at straws. I want to get on the bike and have my life back!! Im no baby and pain isnt something that I dwell on but Im actually getting scared!!

20. Smokey

Smokey Guest

I would get a second opinion, mostly b/c you say you feel he is grasping at straws, and b/c the prospect of this surgery is making you nervous. At the very least, make another appointment with him, and ask all the questions: How does he feel this will help and why? How long is the recovery? How many of these has he done?

Have you had MRI's etc. that gave results saying you needed something like this b/c of ankle instability or some other tendon/ligament issue?

I think it's important to be sure b/c you are active, and you don't want to do anything that will jeopardize that. However, you can't do much in the shape you're in either!