1. Welcome to the Foot Health Forum community where you can ask about foot problems and get help, as well as be up-to-date with the latest foot health information. Only registered members can ask a question, but you do not need to register to respond and give help. Please become part of the community (here) and check out the shop.

Pain in foot arch after running

Discussion in 'Ask your questions here' started by Harryf, Feb 6, 2010.

1. Harryf

Harryf New Member

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    Hi!

I am new here and am hoping someone will be able to help me. :)

I am not a runner but go out for a jog every now and again as a "something to do". I usually jog for about 2.5km, then walk for two and a half, then jog for two and a half and so on for about an hour. By then I'd done about 10km in total.

It's always been OK as far as my feet, knees and everything was concerned until my son and I went hiking in the mountains about a month ago. The hiking distance was 18km and was along a well defined (though rock strewn) single track path. When coming back down, my son and I decided that it was easier on our legs if we jogged down and promptly did so.

That afternoon saw the start of a dull pain in my foot arch. I eventually thought it might be gout because the pain radiated to almost in the big toe joint (but not quite). I haven't been running recently and only did it this afternoon.

Bad news: immediate pain following the run.

Exactly where in my foor arch? First of all, it feels like it's inside the bone, not in the soft tissue. Then, imagine looking down at your left foot and focusing on the joint where your big toe "meets" your foot (the start of your foot arch/bridge).

The worst of the pain is situated about 2cm behind this joint, on the top side of the arch and to the inside of the arch.

The pain along the inside of the arch runs along the inside of the arch up towards my ankle until about halfway up the arch.

Right! That's it as far as the pain is concerned!

I've been using insoles called Formthotics (the red ones, if it makes any difference) for no reason other than thinking it a wise thing to support my feet while running.

Is my arch flattening?
    Do I need more support?
    Could the support be too much in the sense that it is pushing my arch up instead of just supporting it?

Too many questions without a clear picture?

Is the lot of stuff I talk about sufficient to venture some ideas, please?

Thanks in advance, and kindest possible regards

Harry

2. FootDoc

FootDoc New Member

Not really . . and let me tell you why. . .

Other than the thought that you likely traumatized your foot in some way while hiking/jogging, there is nothing particularly exclusively relevant connecting your complaint to any one specific diagnosis. I know it is common belief that doctors simply listen to a patient's complaint and automatically know what is wrong and what to do about it. But that is rarely the case, except for certain condition which produce such universally exclusive symptoms as to almost assure a diagnosis when they are present.
    such symptoms said to be pathopneumonic of the condition. Most symptoms, however, are NOT pathopneumonic and their presence in tandem with a history of the condition (medically termed, "history of present illness"), merely tell the doctor where to physically look next, and/or which questions to ask next. Once enough presumtive information has been gathered, the doctor then formulates a list of possibility which is called "the differential diagnosis," and then he/she examines, test and asks further questions intended to rule out all but the correct diagnosis. Only after at least a "working diagnosis" has been made can an effective treatment be formulated. Now, in forums such as this, when a poster asks for "thoughts" or "ideas," although he/she will universally deny it, what the questioner really wants is a diagnosis on which he/she can hang his/her hat. As you should get the idea by now, none of the essentials of the diagnostic procedure other than the initial complaint is offered for the most part in forums, and that is why I have no "ideas" for you and why you should consider a hands-on examination by a podiatrist or orthopedist. Forums such as this are correctly employed to obtain information about general issues and such as the pros and cons of treatment alternatives on a non-case specific basis.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2010
  3. afromong

afromong New Member

Chances are that you have flat foot arches. I have the same problem after skateboarding for many years

4. beenman123

beenman123 New Member