1. Welcome to the Foot Health Forum community where you can ask about foot problems and get help, as well as be up-to-date with the latest foot health information. Only registered members can ask a question, but you do not need to register to respond and give help. Please become part of the community (here) and check out the shop.

Painful burning on outside of left foot

Discussion in 'Ask your questions here' started by Unregistered, Sep 23, 2008.

Tags:
  1. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    I went to the Podiatrist 4 months ago after injuring my foot during exercise. I was jumping and landed on my foot wrong. After xrays there was no stress fracture but there was a torn tendon. Doctor put me in a cast for 4 weeks, then a boot for 4 weeks. At first it felt better but now I have this very painful burning sensation on the outside of the foot just in front of the heel on the side bone (?). The pain/burning is worse after a full day of walking but it is still very present even when I am just sitting doing nothing.

I am a 47 year old female and I am over weight by approximately 50 pounds.

Does this sound like it is still the tendon that is not healing? Should I be back in a cast?

2. FootDoc

FootDoc New Member

DISCLAIMER:
    THE FOLLOWING IS OFFERED GRATIS AS GENERAL INFORMATION ONLY, AND, AS SUCH, MAY NOT BE APPLICABLE TO THE SPECIFIC QUESTIONER AND/OR HIS/HER PROBLEM. IT IS CLEARLY NOT BASED ON ACTUAL KNOWLEDGE AND/OR EXAMINATION OF THE QUESTIONER OR HIS/HER MEDICAL HISTORY, AND IT CAN NOT AND SHOULD NOT BE RELIED UPON AS DEFINITIVE MEDICAL OPINION OR ADVICE. ONLY THROUGH HANDS- ON PHYSICAL CONTACT WITH THE ACTUAL PATIENT CAN ACCURATE MEDICAL DIAGNOSIS BE ESTABLISHED AND SPECIFIC ADVICE BE GIVEN. NO DOCTOR/PATIENT RELATIONSHIP IS CREATED OR ESTABLISHED OR MAY BE INFERRED. THE QUESTIONER AND/OR READER IS INSTRUCTED TO CONSULT HIS OR HER OWN DOCTOR BEFORE PROCEEDING WITH ANY SUGGESTIONS CONTAINED HEREIN, AND TO ACT ONLY UPON HIS/HER OWN DOCTOR’S ORDERS AND RECOMMENDATIONS. BY THE READING OF MY POSTING WHICH FOLLOWS, THE READER STIPULATES AND CONFIRMS THAT HE/SHE FULLY UNDERSTANDS THIS DISCLAIMER AND HOLDS HARMLESS THIS WRITER. IF THIS IS NOT FULLY AGREEABLE TO YOU, THE READER, AND/OR YOU HAVE NOT ATTAINED THE AGE OF 18 YEARS, YOU HEREBY ARE ADMONISHED TO READ NO FURTHER.
    I wouldn't necessarily associate a burning pain with a tendon healing problem, but you really haven't given a great deal of information, such as what tendon it was, whether it was diagnosed only clinically, or by exclusion, or if you had maybe and MRI and what the nature and extent of the damage to the tendon was. These are questions to which you may not know the answers, but I've got to think that the doctor who originally attended this injury would. I would certainly think that he/she would be the most appropriate person to answer all your questions regarding this problem. Have you not ask that doctor these questions, and if not, why not?

3. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I have not asked him due the fact that I now live over 1000 miles away from his office.

I was not sure if I should seek further medical attention at this point.

The tendon was the Peroneus Brevis where it attatched to the foot. The diagnosis was clinical and an MRI was done. The only thing that I remember him telling me was that it was torn where the tendon attaches to the foot.

4. FootDoc

FootDoc New Member

DISCLAIMER:
    THE FOLLOWING IS OFFERED GRATIS AS GENERAL INFORMATION ONLY, AND, AS SUCH, MAY NOT BE APPLICABLE TO THE SPECIFIC QUESTIONER AND/OR HIS/HER PROBLEM. IT IS CLEARLY NOT BASED ON ACTUAL KNOWLEDGE AND/OR EXAMINATION OF THE QUESTIONER OR HIS/HER MEDICAL HISTORY, AND IT CAN NOT AND SHOULD NOT BE RELIED UPON AS DEFINITIVE MEDICAL OPINION OR ADVICE. ONLY THROUGH HANDS- ON PHYSICAL CONTACT WITH THE ACTUAL PATIENT CAN ACCURATE MEDICAL DIAGNOSIS BE ESTABLISHED AND SPECIFIC ADVICE BE GIVEN. NO DOCTOR/PATIENT RELATIONSHIP IS CREATED OR ESTABLISHED OR MAY BE INFERRED. THE QUESTIONER AND/OR READER IS INSTRUCTED TO CONSULT HIS OR HER OWN DOCTOR BEFORE PROCEEDING WITH ANY SUGGESTIONS CONTAINED HEREIN, AND TO ACT ONLY UPON HIS/HER OWN DOCTOR’S ORDERS AND RECOMMENDATIONS. BY THE READING OF MY POSTING WHICH FOLLOWS, THE READER STIPULATES AND CONFIRMS THAT HE/SHE FULLY UNDERSTANDS THIS DISCLAIMER AND HOLDS HARMLESS THIS WRITER. IF THIS IS NOT FULLY AGREEABLE TO YOU, THE READER, AND/OR YOU HAVE NOT ATTAINED THE AGE OF 18 YEARS, YOU HEREBY ARE ADMONISHED TO READ NO FURTHER.
    It sounds as if you sustained an inversion injury of the foot, perhaps even concurrently with somewhat of a lateral ankle sprain. The Peroneus brevis tendon inserts into the tuberosity of the 5th metatarsal base (styloid process, which commonly protrudes outward), and it is not uncommon for an avulsion fracture to take place at that point. If there had been an avulsion fracture (and just because you were not told so, does not necessarily mean there was not), it often heals with a cartilaginous island. Also, the sural nerve courses in the area, and if irritated, that might account for some burning. If, as you say, an MRI was done, there should be a permanent visual record of the actual damage done to the tendon and its insertion site and any bone damage, and even if that record sits 1000 miles away, it can easily be transferred to a local doctor who needs to re-evaluate your foot if you wish answers on which you can rely. Opinions based on any less information will be worthless to you.