1. Welcome to the Foot Health Forum community where you can ask about foot problems and get help, as well as be up-to-date with the latest foot health information. Only registered members can ask a question, but you do not need to register to respond and give help. Please become part of the community (here) and check out the shop.

Lisfranc Questions (Please read!)

Discussion in 'Ask your questions here' started by JKD, Sep 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. JKD

JKD New Member

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    Hello all,

I have a few questions regarding my condition of a lisfranc fracture. However, I will first give a background of my situation.

Throughout my life (I'm 24 years old), I have had issues with my feet. About 10 years ago, I badly damaged my feet. Since they were damaged, my feet became more prone to additional injuries (easily reeled ankle, etc.). About 6 years ago or so, I saw a foot doctor who diagnosed me with a lisfranc fracture. He gave me some basic at-home therapy methods that was suppose to strengthen the foot. Well, about 5 years ago, I once again damaged the foot in the same spot. I slowly recovered (without seeing a doctor - stupidly) and am able to walk and run on the foot with occasional pain.

Now heres the problem: For years, I have had a large knot on the top of my foot (big one) which shows the extent of the damage. I have learned to cope with the slight pain that still exists. On extended runs and workouts, the foot becomes sore and occasionally gives me problems. I consulted with the internet and conducted research of my own on this condition. From what I can tell, this looks pretty serious.

Now for the question... I will probably need surgery on the foot. I plan to see another doctor on my condition to confirm my thoughts. If I am able to run and walk on the foot, would surgery possibly make my condition worse? I'm fixing to finish my Bachelors degree program soon and am going to jump straight in on my Masters degree. Afterwards, I plan on joining the military as a commisioned officer. I am in good physical shape now and can run pretty well. But if I in fact, have to have this surgery, will this blow my chances of getting in?

Currently, I can meet physical requirements. However, I'm afraid of the long term damage if I let the foot go without care. Will the surgery prevent me from meeting my goals? Would it make my condition worse than it already is? And if I had this surgery, could I be completely recovered with in 2 years?

Sorry for the jumbled thoughts, ideas, and questions - It's late and I typed this fast :rolleyes:

I dearly appreciate any and all comments and suggestions!

Thanks,
    Jared Dyer

2. FootDoc

FootDoc New Member

You've already acknowledged that not seeing a doctor for a previous injury was stupid. The questions you are now asking can only reasonably be answered once your foot is evaluated and your status know. There are serious limits to what can be offered in a forum where true evaluation is impossible. Please do not depend on the opinions of even a qualified doctor who cannot possibly offer you the degree of certainty upon which you need to rely. See a quality doctor, ask him/her these questions and THEN make your decision.

3. JKD

JKD New Member

FootDoc,

Thanks for your speedy response. I will be sure to get it checked out. Once I do so, I will update this thread.

Once again, thanks

-Jared

4. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

If you had a lisfranc fracture or dislocation you would not be able to bear weight on your foot. If and when you tried to bear weight on it there would be no "slight" pain - It's an excruciating pain ( it made me long for the dull pain of childbirth) and even with the strongest vicodin you would achieve minimal relief.

If you can run or even walk . . . this is NOT the diagnosis for you!

TRY SEEING A DR!