1. Welcome to the Foot Health Forum community where you can ask about foot problems and get help, as well as be up-to-date with the latest foot health information. Only registered members can ask a question, but you do not need to register to respond and give help. Please become part of the community (here) and check out the shop.

Big Toe Fusion SUCCESS!

Discussion in 'Ask your questions here' started by sas843, Aug 2, 2011.

1. sas843

sas843 New Member

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    Hi Everyone,
    I'm writing to let everyone know how pleased I am with the big toe fusion I had four months ago (March 2011). I am 63 years old. I am now able to walk w/o pain. I had a severely arthritic toe joint that had gotten progressively worse and more painful over the years. I am walking now for exercise, over a mile a day. I can now wear shoes I couldn't wear before - not HIGH heels, but 1-inch heels.
    The recovery from this surgery does take patience, as I needed to be non-weight bearing for six weeks, and then there is a fairly long recovery period after the cast comes off, as the tendons that have been immobilized heal. But for me it was well worth it!
    For anyone who is considering this surgery and is afraid, I would say go for it! My surgeon was a podiatric surgeon with Kaiser (in California) and he knew what he was doing. From what he told me, this surgery is still the gold standard for hallux rigidus. (Joint replacement surgeries have not yet been perfected and haven't had good results, according to my surgeon.)
    I wish good foot health to everyone!:)

2. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I had a big toe fusion on my right great toe in February and have never been in more pain. I always have pain, sometimes excruciating. I fear walking any distance. I take pain medication but I don't like it--sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. The doctor says the bone is not fusing as fast as it should. He had my buy a bone growth stimulator--what a joke! It even hurts to use that. I am an avid golfer, 61 years old. I have not played since Christmas. I swim laps every day, and that causes pain. As the day goes on, it gets worse. I feel like my life is ruined. I do not wish this on my worst enemy.

3. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I am 41 and just had my rt big toe fused and a hammer toe fixed(fused as well). I am 3 wks into recovery and doing well but horrified at the same time. I don't feel like I had any other option but to fuse joints as my ortho said this was the best option. I like to be active and have a 5 year old daughter I want to enjoy. You would think with technology, they could have invented a joint replacement that was effective. I got 3 different opinions before electing for surgery and all three agreed fusion was my best option. I just want to be active again pain free!

4. Dana

Dana Guest

I think you made the right decision I'm 6 weeks post op and no pain. I'm very active and this is the operation my sports med doc went with since joint replacements don't work

5. Sally May

Sally May Guest

12 weeks post op greater toe fusion. Still continue with pain, swelling and diffcult with shoes as end of the doesn't extend. Any suggestions.

6. Jonny

Jonny Guest

I am 2 weeks post fusion it has not been too bad awaiting x rays. I am now panicking about what I will be able to do down the line I have always been very active and I am worried this will change.
    Has anyone got any tales of how active they are post fusion to put my mind at rest.

7. GrahamLori

GrahamLori Guest

8. GrahamLori

GrahamLori Guest

9. Graham Lori

Graham Lori Guest

Is the tendon pain going from the top of toe up toward the ankle? This is what I'm getting 6 weeks post op?

10. I had toe fusion on November 21/2019. On both left and right feet and hammertoe repair on the right foot. What a big decision- I am 65 years old and very active ( 6 grandchildren) and love spin classes- so tomorrow marks week 5 - still have numbness in both feet- incisions look good - but my right foot feel a pulling - between toes - first three toes. - I went to surgeon At the 3 week mark - stated looked good - I go back to surgeon on January 15th - at this point I get some swelling but only able to keep my feet not elevated for two hours at a time. Guess I am looking for success stories and timeline on recovery.

11. I have a pulling pain between the toes. At 5 weeks. That is what I am wondering. Is it tendon pain or nerve pain, very little written about what to expect from one week to the next - maybe we are expecting to much. Your head plays games with you “ OMG what did I do?

12. No - my pulling feels like. Someone has put a tight elastic around my big toes and is pulling it as hard as they can down between my toes. Big toes and next toe - it helps to hear you are having the pulling as so little is written of what we might experience. It gets scary that this may stay ... trying to be patient for healing. I wish you the best healing possible. Please keep me informed of your progress and worries.

13. You give me hope Lori

14. January 26th

Still having the pulling feeling but is happening in the evening. Sometimes when I have been on my feet longer than 2-3 hours . I sure hope this goes away - it can be painful but more irritating

15. Angelkay

Angelkay Guest

16. Angelkay

Angelkay Guest

How are you doing now?