1. Welcome to the Foot Health Forum community where you can ask about foot problems and get help, as well as be up-to-date with the latest foot health information. Only registered members can ask a question, but you do not need to register to respond and give help. Please become part of the community (here) and check out the shop.

Ingrown Toe - severe pain

Discussion in 'Ask your questions here' started by Unregistered, May 31, 2009.

1. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    The big toe on my leg leg is having severe infection and pain due to ingrown toe. When consulted, doctor said the sides of the nail has to be released, but the nail is too painful even when touched, so I'd prefer some home cure. Will applying Candid - B Lotion help?? Please advise....

2. Last winter I had a real bad infection on my toe and the pediatrist did something where he took out a part of the nail. That took care of the infection and I was supposed to go back to have the nail killed but I never got around to it and so far it has been fine if thats any help.

Hank

3. FootDoc

FootDoc New Member

DISCLAIMER:
    THE FOLLOWING IS OFFERED GRATIS AS GENERAL INFORMATION ONLY, AND, AS SUCH, MAY NOT BE APPLICABLE TO THE SPECIFIC QUESTIONER AND/OR HIS/HER PROBLEM. IT IS CLEARLY NOT BASED ON ACTUAL KNOWLEDGE AND/OR EXAMINATION OF THE QUESTIONER OR HIS/HER MEDICAL HISTORY, AND IT CAN NOT AND SHOULD NOT BE RELIED UPON AS DEFINITIVE MEDICAL OPINION OR ADVICE. ONLY THROUGH HANDS-ON PHYSICAL CONTACT WITH THE ACTUAL PATIENT CAN ACCURATE MEDICAL DIAGNOSIS BE ESTABLISHED AND SPECIFIC ADVICE BE GIVEN. NO DOCTOR/PATIENT RELATIONSHIP IS CREATED OR ESTABLISHED OR MAY BE INFERRED. THE QUESTIONER AND/OR READER IS INSTRUCTED TO CONSULT HIS OR HER OWN DOCTOR BEFORE PROCEEDING WITH ANY SUGGESTIONS CONTAINED HEREIN, AND TO ACT ONLY UPON HIS/HER OWN DOCTOR’S ORDERS AND RECOMMENDATIONS. BY THE READING OF MY POSTING WHICH FOLLOWS, THE READER STIPULATES AND CONFIRMS THAT HE/SHE FULLY UNDERSTANDS THIS DISCLAIMER AND HOLDS HARMLESS THIS WRITER. IF THIS IS NOT FULLY AGREEABLE TO YOU, THE READER, AND/OR YOU HAVE NOT ATTAINED THE AGE OF 18 YEARS, YOU HEREBY ARE ADMONISHED TO READ NO FURTHER.
    By "released" I suppose you are indicating that the offending nail portions were sectioned and temporarily removed. If that is so, it sounds to be the generally approved treatment for taking care of the infection of an infected ingrown nail. Most often soaks are then prescribed to facilitate drainage of the infection. If it still hurts, I would guess that the infection is not draining properly and that should be professionally accomplished at once. The lotion you mentioned was not familiar to me but checking on the Internet, it seems to be an antifungal/corticosteroid combination similar to Lotrisone. If you have an on-going bacterial infection, a medication with a corticosteroid in it could cause a flaring of the infection and would be inappropriate for use on a bacterial infection. You need to have this professionally assessed and treated. Home remedies could be disastrous. See a podiatrist NOW.

4. FootDoc

FootDoc New Member

DISCLAIMER:
    THE FOLLOWING IS OFFERED GRATIS AS GENERAL INFORMATION ONLY, AND, AS SUCH, MAY NOT BE APPLICABLE TO THE SPECIFIC QUESTIONER AND/OR HIS/HER PROBLEM. IT IS CLEARLY NOT BASED ON ACTUAL KNOWLEDGE AND/OR EXAMINATION OF THE QUESTIONER OR HIS/HER MEDICAL HISTORY, AND IT CAN NOT AND SHOULD NOT BE RELIED UPON AS DEFINITIVE MEDICAL OPINION OR ADVICE. ONLY THROUGH HANDS-ON PHYSICAL CONTACT WITH THE ACTUAL PATIENT CAN ACCURATE MEDICAL DIAGNOSIS BE ESTABLISHED AND SPECIFIC ADVICE BE GIVEN. NO DOCTOR/PATIENT RELATIONSHIP IS CREATED OR ESTABLISHED OR MAY BE INFERRED. THE QUESTIONER AND/OR READER IS INSTRUCTED TO CONSULT HIS OR HER OWN DOCTOR BEFORE PROCEEDING WITH ANY SUGGESTIONS CONTAINED HEREIN, AND TO ACT ONLY UPON HIS/HER OWN DOCTOR’S ORDERS AND RECOMMENDATIONS. BY THE READING OF MY POSTING WHICH FOLLOWS, THE READER STIPULATES AND CONFIRMS THAT HE/SHE FULLY UNDERSTANDS THIS DISCLAIMER AND HOLDS HARMLESS THIS WRITER. IF THIS IS NOT FULLY AGREEABLE TO YOU, THE READER, AND/OR YOU HAVE NOT ATTAINED THE AGE OF 18 YEARS, YOU HEREBY ARE ADMONISHED TO READ NO FURTHER.
    In my experience, ingrown nail infections are not one-time things and although you may not presently have a problem, it is very likely to recur. If, in fact, it does, I would suggest you take that opportunity to first have the infection cleared and then have a permanent procedure to take care of the ingrown nail which probably is the cause.

5. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Hi Hank,

So that's the only solution to it, rt?? Anyway, thanks so much for the reply. I'm still applying Candid B lotion for a temporary relief. Hope you toe is perfect now.

Neelima

6. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Hi Doc,

Thanks for taking pains in addressing my prob. Of course I'll see a podiatrist pretty soon.....I should also stop using Candid , rt???

By "released" I suppose you are indicating that the offending nail portions were sectioned and temporarily removed. If that is so, it sounds to be the generally approved treatment for taking care of the infection of an infected ingrown nail. Most often soaks are then prescribed to facilitate drainage of the infection. If it still hurts, I would guess that the infection is not draining properly and that should be professionally accomplished at once. The lotion you mentioned was not familiar to me but checking on the Internet, it seems to be an antifungal/corticosteroid combination similar to Lotrisone. If you have an on-going bacterial infection, a medication with a corticosteroid in it could cause a flaring of the infection and would be inappropriate for use on a bacterial infection. You need to have this professionally assessed and treated. Home remedies could be disastrous. See a podiatrist NOW.[/QUOTE]

7. FootDoc

FootDoc New Member

DISCLAIMER:
    THE FOLLOWING IS OFFERED GRATIS AS GENERAL INFORMATION ONLY, AND, AS SUCH, MAY NOT BE APPLICABLE TO THE SPECIFIC QUESTIONER AND/OR HIS/HER PROBLEM. IT IS CLEARLY NOT BASED ON ACTUAL KNOWLEDGE AND/OR EXAMINATION OF THE QUESTIONER OR HIS/HER MEDICAL HISTORY, AND IT CAN NOT AND SHOULD NOT BE RELIED UPON AS DEFINITIVE MEDICAL OPINION OR ADVICE. ONLY THROUGH HANDS- ON PHYSICAL CONTACT WITH THE ACTUAL PATIENT CAN ACCURATE MEDICAL DIAGNOSIS BE ESTABLISHED AND SPECIFIC ADVICE BE GIVEN. NO DOCTOR/PATIENT RELATIONSHIP IS CREATED OR ESTABLISHED OR MAY BE INFERRED. THE QUESTIONER AND/OR READER IS INSTRUCTED TO CONSULT HIS OR HER OWN DOCTOR BEFORE PROCEEDING WITH ANY SUGGESTIONS CONTAINED HEREIN, AND TO ACT ONLY UPON HIS/HER OWN DOCTOR’S ORDERS AND RECOMMENDATIONS. BY THE READING OF MY POSTING WHICH FOLLOWS, THE READER STIPULATES AND CONFIRMS THAT HE/SHE FULLY UNDERSTANDS THIS DISCLAIMER AND HOLDS HARMLESS THIS WRITER. IF THIS IS NOT FULLY AGREEABLE TO YOU, THE READER, AND/OR YOU HAVE NOT ATTAINED THE AGE OF 18 YEARS, YOU HEREBY ARE ADMONISHED TO READ NO FURTHER.
    Candid-B lotion is an anti-fungal/corticosteroid mixture used for external fungus infections. It would be ineffective and even potentially harmful to use such a product on a bacterial infection such as you report, as the anti-fungal component will not treat bacterial infections and corticosteroids will often exacerbate them. Go see that podiatrist. Infections won't wait until you're ready.

8. Cathy4903

Cathy4903 New Member

Having the pressure released will feel so much better even though it hurts so bad to touch now.