1. Welcome to the Foot Health Forum community where you can ask about foot problems and get help, as well as be up-to-date with the latest foot health information. Only registered members can ask a question, but you do not need to register to respond and give help. Please become part of the community (here) and check out the shop.

Bruise on the bottom of toe?

Discussion in 'Ask your questions here' started by burnbabyburn, Aug 9, 2009.

1. burnbabyburn

burnbabyburn New Member

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    Hi all,

So about 2 1/2 weeks ago I did a lot of fast pace walking for about a mile in some really poorly made shoes. Needless to say when I got home I had several blisters and one really bad bruise(?) under my big toe on my left foot. It's a really dark purple/red color, so I'm assuming its a bruise. Most of the time it doesn't bother me, but tonight I went for a jog and it was mildly painful. It is not on the ball of my feet, but directly at the bottom of my big toe. It doesn't hurt when I press it, only when I walk. Does anyone know if it's a blood clot..or a welt...or something else? I want to get rid of it so I can run unhindered. :(

2. FootDoc

FootDoc New Member

DISCLAIMER:
    THE FOLLOWING IS OFFERED GRATIS AS GENERAL INFORMATION ONLY, AND, AS SUCH, MAY NOT BE APPLICABLE TO THE SPECIFIC QUESTIONER AND/OR HIS/HER PROBLEM. IT IS CLEARLY NOT BASED ON ACTUAL KNOWLEDGE AND/OR EXAMINATION OF THE QUESTIONER OR HIS/HER MEDICAL HISTORY, AND IT CAN NOT AND SHOULD NOT BE RELIED UPON AS DEFINITIVE MEDICAL OPINION OR ADVICE. ONLY THROUGH HANDS-ON PHYSICAL CONTACT WITH THE ACTUAL PATIENT CAN ACCURATE MEDICAL DIAGNOSIS BE ESTABLISHED AND SPECIFIC ADVICE BE GIVEN. NO DOCTOR/PATIENT RELATIONSHIP IS CREATED OR ESTABLISHED OR MAY BE INFERRED. THE QUESTIONER AND/OR READER IS INSTRUCTED TO CONSULT HIS OR HER OWN DOCTOR BEFORE PROCEEDING WITH ANY SUGGESTIONS CONTAINED HEREIN, AND TO ACT ONLY UPON HIS/HER OWN DOCTOR’S ORDERS AND RECOMMENDATIONS. BY THE READING OF MY POSTING WHICH FOLLOWS, THE READER STIPULATES AND CONFIRMS THAT HE/SHE FULLY UNDERSTANDS THIS DISCLAIMER AND HOLDS HARMLESS THIS WRITER. IF THIS IS NOT FULLY AGREEABLE TO YOU, THE READER, AND/OR YOU HAVE NOT ATTAINED THE AGE OF 18 YEARS, YOU HEREBY ARE ADMONISHED TO READ NO FURTHER.
    You may be experiencing shearing force blisters and bruises. This commonly occurs when there is slippage of the foot within the shoe. You might consider an inexpensive anti-shearing force insole such as made by Spenco, and, of course, properly sized shoes.

3. burnbabyburn

burnbabyburn New Member

Thank you very much for your advice. I'm wondering if there is anything else I can do? I am pretty much always either barefoot or in sneakers since I've had the bruise and I had to cut my workout short yet again tonight because my toe was so uncomfortable. It just feels really dry and irritated when I walk, and also like there is a tiny needle poking it. Its not painful, but extremely uncomfortable. My mom suggested I soak my foot and put vaseline on it, will that do anything?

4. FootDoc

FootDoc New Member

What is your age?

5. burnbabyburn

burnbabyburn New Member

I'm 24 years old

6. FootDoc

FootDoc New Member

DISCLAIMER:
    THE FOLLOWING IS OFFERED GRATIS AS GENERAL INFORMATION ONLY, AND, AS SUCH, MAY NOT BE APPLICABLE TO THE SPECIFIC QUESTIONER AND/OR HIS/HER PROBLEM. IT IS CLEARLY NOT BASED ON ACTUAL KNOWLEDGE AND/OR EXAMINATION OF THE QUESTIONER OR HIS/HER MEDICAL HISTORY, AND IT CAN NOT AND SHOULD NOT BE RELIED UPON AS DEFINITIVE MEDICAL OPINION OR ADVICE. ONLY THROUGH HANDS-ON PHYSICAL CONTACT WITH THE ACTUAL PATIENT CAN ACCURATE MEDICAL DIAGNOSIS BE ESTABLISHED AND SPECIFIC ADVICE BE GIVEN. NO DOCTOR/PATIENT RELATIONSHIP IS CREATED OR ESTABLISHED OR MAY BE INFERRED. THE QUESTIONER AND/OR READER IS INSTRUCTED TO CONSULT HIS OR HER OWN DOCTOR BEFORE PROCEEDING WITH ANY SUGGESTIONS CONTAINED HEREIN, AND TO ACT ONLY UPON HIS/HER OWN DOCTOR’S ORDERS AND RECOMMENDATIONS. BY THE READING OF MY POSTING WHICH FOLLOWS, THE READER STIPULATES AND CONFIRMS THAT HE/SHE FULLY UNDERSTANDS THIS DISCLAIMER AND HOLDS HARMLESS THIS WRITER. IF THIS IS NOT FULLY AGREEABLE TO YOU, THE READER, AND/OR YOU HAVE NOT ATTAINED THE AGE OF 18 YEARS, YOU HEREBY ARE ADMONISHED TO READ NO FURTHER.
    You've changed the description of your problem. You had said that you had a blister and bruising on the bottom of the big toe and now you say that you have to cut out your shoe or go barefoot because the toe is dry and tingles. This is not consistent with your original complaint and you need to see a podiatrist to determine what is really going on, but in general soaks would certainly not be indicated for a toe with excessively dry skin.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2009
  7. burnbabyburn

burnbabyburn New Member

No my skin isn't dry, it just feels dry, sort of like if someone took a piece of wool and rubbed it against your foot repeatedly. I didn't say I had to cut out my shoe...but I'll figure something out.

8. FootDoc

FootDoc New Member

You and others might take note of this exchange as one reason why forums are such poor venues for diagnosis. Words are so important and when they are not entirely clear to the responder, as often can be the case, important misconceptions are easy. I would have no way of knowing that your toe was not actually dry when you stated, "my toe feels dry," and "I had to cut my work shoe out" is not really discernible from "I had to cut out my work shoe." It's just too easy to make misconceptions. A hands-on physical examination and a face to face history generally avoids this and that should be your course.

9. burnbabyburn

burnbabyburn New Member

Actually, reading helps to. What I said was "I had to cut my workout short", meaning I had to cut my work out short. I mean, I thank you for taking the time to read my problem, but blaming me for not reading the initial statement correct is hardly my fault.

10. FootDoc

FootDoc New Member

First of all, I did not "blame" you, but simply pointed out that a forum in which words are the only method of information exchange is, for many reasons, often a poor venue for formulating a diagnosis. It is unfortunate that you've interpreted such a comment as "blame." The more important misconception was whether your toe was actually dry or not. I have attempted to help you and gave what I believe to be a reasonable response, and that's better than anyone else, here or there, appears to have done for you.

11. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

LOL, FOOT DOC, THen why do u use this forum to begin with...Deep breathe, compassion...Now that feels better doesnt it?

12. gfunk13

gfunk13 Guest

Did you ever find out what it was? I have the exact same issue just now - a kinda bruise on the sole of my toe and it feels like someone is stabbin me with a needle!