1. Welcome to the Foot Health Forum community where you can ask about foot problems and get help, as well as be up-to-date with the latest foot health information. Only registered members can ask a question, but you do not need to register to respond and give help. Please become part of the community (here) and check out the shop.

Calcaneal Osteotomy

Discussion in 'Ask your questions here' started by Pookie Mac, Sep 19, 2011.

1. Pookie Mac

Pookie Mac Guest

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    Good Evening,

Quick Background:
    I was hit by a car at the end of April and my right heel was crushed. My initial doctor had me right in a walking boot for almost 3 months with about 1.5 months of physical therapy. He swore up and down that my heel was healing correctly and I would not require surgery. After 15 weeks my fracture wasn't heeled and he didn't want to see me back for two months, even though I was still complaining of pain. Needless to say, I decided it was time for a second opinion and right when I went to the second doctor he took one look at my foot and knew I would need surgery. Xrays confirmed this.

I am scheduled for surgery this coming Friday. As of now, it appears to be strictly a calcaneal osteotomy. Of course, if he sees anything else that needs to be repaired while I am under he will do so at that time.

I am looking to see what some experiences have been with JUST a calcaneal osteotomy. I have only been able to find posts from people who had the osteotomy plus something else on top of it. Pain after surgery (though I know it varies), recovery time, was physical therapy required, etc? I started a new job 2 months ago under the impression I would not need surgery. Though my job is understanding, I want to try and return to work as soon as possible. My plan is to be out a week or so and then I will have someone driving me while I'm in a cast. My concern is that I won't be able to take painkillers at work.

Any advice anyone can give or personal experiences would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Kristy

2. dobbo

dobbo Guest

Hi,
    you beat me to my calcaneal osteotomy by a couple of days, so I hope you are recovering well. Just wanted to share my thoughts so far...
    The operation was a doddle seeing as it was a general anaesthetic. I just woke up and it was done. No pain there and then, a cup of tea and two slices of toast and my lift came to collect me. 24 hours later I called the surgery as I was worried that there was no pain, although I could feel my heel in the cast. I was told that the painkillers should wear off in 24-48 hours. It is now 48 hours and still no pain. Am I going to be one of the lucky ones? I doubt it, but I'm not as pessimistic now as I was prior to the op.
    As regards mobility and keeping my foot off the floor, I've ditched the crutches. I can walk ok in them but can't do anything else (like the dishes) that takes both hands, so I fashioned a knee crutch out of wood and that is a miracle. I can walk about the house, do the decorating and wire that light in. It's a bit like the IWalk4free leg, only it cost me a fiver instead of 300 bucks from America.
    I note that you have similar timeframes for a return to work. The last op I had on my ankle put me in a cast and , as soon as I could bear weight I called the motor insurance company and asked what were the odds driving in a cast. They said that it depended on my GP. So when I went to see my GP and asked him if I was fit to drive, he said "I don't know, are you?" to which I answered "yes" and subesequently drove back to work. So there is hope for you.
    Anyway, best of luck