1. Welcome to the Foot Health Forum community where you can ask about foot problems and get help, as well as be up-to-date with the latest foot health information. Only registered members can ask a question, but you do not need to register to respond and give help. Please become part of the community (here) and check out the shop.

Small lump on side of left foot

Discussion in 'Ask your questions here' started by Unregistered, Oct 22, 2008.

Tags:
  1. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    I have discovered a small lump on the side of my left foot. Location is 1/2 way between by little toe and ankle but more on the side than the top. It's about the size of a pea but VERY hard and can't be moved. It almost feels like bone. It does not hurt I'm just curious about what it might be.

Thanks!

2. FootDoc

FootDoc New Member

DISCLAIMER:
    THE FOLLOWING IS OFFERED GRATIS AS GENERAL INFORMATION ONLY, AND, AS SUCH, MAY NOT BE APPLICABLE TO THE SPECIFIC QUESTIONER AND/OR HIS/HER PROBLEM. IT IS CLEARLY NOT BASED ON ACTUAL KNOWLEDGE AND/OR EXAMINATION OF THE QUESTIONER OR HIS/HER MEDICAL HISTORY, AND IT CAN NOT AND SHOULD NOT BE RELIED UPON AS DEFINITIVE MEDICAL OPINION OR ADVICE. ONLY THROUGH HANDS- ON PHYSICAL CONTACT WITH THE ACTUAL PATIENT CAN ACCURATE MEDICAL DIAGNOSIS BE ESTABLISHED AND SPECIFIC ADVICE BE GIVEN. NO DOCTOR/PATIENT RELATIONSHIP IS CREATED OR ESTABLISHED OR MAY BE INFERRED. THE QUESTIONER AND/OR READER IS INSTRUCTED TO CONSULT HIS OR HER OWN DOCTOR BEFORE PROCEEDING WITH ANY SUGGESTIONS CONTAINED HEREIN, AND TO ACT ONLY UPON HIS/HER OWN DOCTOR’S ORDERS AND RECOMMENDATIONS. BY THE READING OF MY POSTING WHICH FOLLOWS, THE READER STIPULATES AND CONFIRMS THAT HE/SHE FULLY UNDERSTANDS THIS DISCLAIMER AND HOLDS HARMLESS THIS WRITER. IF THIS IS NOT FULLY AGREEABLE TO YOU, THE READER, AND/OR YOU HAVE NOT ATTAINED THE AGE OF 18 YEARS, YOU HEREBY ARE ADMONISHED TO READ NO FURTHER.
    I cannot assure you that the following is is the case, and I stand by my standard statement that all lumps, bumps and masses should be evaluated by a doctor. But very often questioners ask about such a bump as you seem to describe in that general location, and there IS found a normally occurring anatomical protrusion in that area of the foot, which is the styloid process at the tuborosity near the lateral aspect of the base of the 5th metatarsal. This is more commonly evident in long skinny feet, but all feet have this protrusion, if, in fact, that's what you are talking about. Again, have all lump, bumps and masses checked out by examination and do not rely on guesses.

3. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

This just came about in the last week. I know that it hasn't always been there. I do have skinny feet so it's easy to see lumps/bumps/bones. I had it checked by a GP and she said it could be a calcium deposit?? That didn't sound right to me though so I wanted to see what others might think. She did say that it was too hard to be a cyst, but other than that did not seem too concerned.

4. FootDoc

FootDoc New Member

DISCLAIMER:
    THE FOLLOWING IS OFFERED GRATIS AS GENERAL INFORMATION ONLY, AND, AS SUCH, MAY NOT BE APPLICABLE TO THE SPECIFIC QUESTIONER AND/OR HIS/HER PROBLEM. IT IS CLEARLY NOT BASED ON ACTUAL KNOWLEDGE AND/OR EXAMINATION OF THE QUESTIONER OR HIS/HER MEDICAL HISTORY, AND IT CAN NOT AND SHOULD NOT BE RELIED UPON AS DEFINITIVE MEDICAL OPINION OR ADVICE. ONLY THROUGH HANDS- ON PHYSICAL CONTACT WITH THE ACTUAL PATIENT CAN ACCURATE MEDICAL DIAGNOSIS BE ESTABLISHED AND SPECIFIC ADVICE BE GIVEN. NO DOCTOR/PATIENT RELATIONSHIP IS CREATED OR ESTABLISHED OR MAY BE INFERRED. THE QUESTIONER AND/OR READER IS INSTRUCTED TO CONSULT HIS OR HER OWN DOCTOR BEFORE PROCEEDING WITH ANY SUGGESTIONS CONTAINED HEREIN, AND TO ACT ONLY UPON HIS/HER OWN DOCTOR’S ORDERS AND RECOMMENDATIONS. BY THE READING OF MY POSTING WHICH FOLLOWS, THE READER STIPULATES AND CONFIRMS THAT HE/SHE FULLY UNDERSTANDS THIS DISCLAIMER AND HOLDS HARMLESS THIS WRITER. IF THIS IS NOT FULLY AGREEABLE TO YOU, THE READER, AND/OR YOU HAVE NOT ATTAINED THE AGE OF 18 YEARS, YOU HEREBY ARE ADMONISHED TO READ NO FURTHER.
    In my opinion and experience, the term "calcium deposit" is frequently misused and more often than not does not reflect reality. It's the sort of generic comment that is often defaultly voiced without any substantiative basis in fact. But not having seen your foot, I certainly cannot authoritatively say. Cysts, though, such as ganglionic cysts can often feel exceedingly hard. Is the bump at ALL mobile? Unless it is simply a normal anatomical feature, as I suggested it MIGHT be, or unless it can be definitively identified on x-ray or other radiologic techniques, the ONLY method of determining what it is would be to perform either an incisional or excisional biopsy. Certainly, no one in an Internet forum and no amount of Internet searching can decide the best course of action for you. Forums such as this should NEVER be utilized for definitive decision making, but only for information which might offer some non-binding thoughts and perhaps some greater insight into known conditions. They are NOT replacements for hands-on evaluation and the decisions which should appropriately subsequently flow from them. Most questioner will voice their overt or tacit agreement with this, yet still will continue to seek in such forums the very advice which they agree cannot be so obtained.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2008
  5. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

This lump is not at all mobile. When trying to push it around it does cause some discomfort. I have another appointment with another DR. next week to see if I can get any further suggestions or testing done. Thank you for your advise.

6. newuser

newuser Guest

I know excatly what you mean. I have discovered a lump exactly how you described yours on my foot today. I have had one before but it went away and i have one in my leg too. Hopefully tis nothing bad :)

7. me2

me2 Guest

I also have discovered a hard lump at the same location. It does not hurt to walk on it but is painful when palpated or wearing shoes that push on it. I discovered it 2 days ago, hours after I had a doctor exam in which I had to walk on my toes and heels. It was not there before. Any insite as to what it is?

8. FootDoc

FootDoc New Member

Let me ask YOU something which might serve as a clue to an answer to your question. If you had just paid a plumber to come to fix a leak in the drain pipe under your sink, he examined it, banged on the pipes and then only hours after he left, the drain was clogged. Would you then post to a plumbing forum asking if anyone had any insight into the problem or would you call the plumber back?

9. LaRue

LaRue Guest

I also discovered a lump on my foot. Mine is also half way between my toe and heel its about the size of a penny and it causes discomfort when i walk barefoot. It is hard and doesn't feel like it moves when I felt it. I thought it was the bone at first but when I compared it to my other foot it sticks out a lot more. If anyone has any idea as to what it may be please let me know.

10. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I have had this same situation on my left foot for about 1 month. At first I thought it was a small bone that I had broken although had no knowledge of a bump or any other cause. A trip to the "quack" and an xray revealed nothing and I was given a treatment of anti biotics as "it must be an infection" The pills did nothing and that is why I think a lot of us use this site instead going the the GP and wasting tax payers dollars. The pain is slowly decreasing and the surface skin has peeled which is not causing any concern at this stage, so I have just put in the to hard basket.

11. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I have been to the doc three times now for this foot issue and they tell me there is nothing there to worry about, even after feeling this large area, and see no reason to refer me to a podiatrist - of which I disagree: My left foot, halfway between the little toe and the heel, I have a large soft"ish"/tough lump on the side right above the bottom of the foot. It sits under the fleshy part right in front of the ankle and it's more oval/rectangular rather than round. Problem is, it started showing up around 2 months ago and is getting harder and now it's painful. As I lay down at night or anytime, after an hour it starts to burn/throb right in that area and sometimes right up the foot. It is getting harder to walk on it as well in the last couple of days. It is not hard like bone, but not soft like inflammed or callous tissue...I believe it is tendon related as the GP said, but I think there is something more going on since it's not getting any better...any suggestions as to what this may be or what I Should do?

12. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I have the same problem. I've done some research on it, The area seems to match up with a tendon called the Peronius Longus. It actually tucks under the foot/bone on the side of the foot.
    Tendons take a long time to heal as they don't have the best circulation. Shoes are the main culprit but extreme usage like carrying something really heavy or twisting, etc, can cause injury without us realizing it. Within 24 hours we turn up with the pain and wonder why.
    I, being a nurse, aways thought you ice an inflammation. One of the articles written by a podiatrist said to soak your foot in warm water to increase the circulation which in turn will create healing. Considering the poor blood flow to tendons, it makes some sense. Places in our bodies that have great blood flow, red parts like inside our mouths, heal very quickly. Tendons, ligaments and bones do not.

13. I just discovered a painful bump at the same location on my left foot. I snow skied Sat. and Sun. I have worn the same ski boots all season and had no problems. It feels like bone. It only hurts on the surface when I touch it. Should I see a Doc, or give it a few weeks to see if it goes away.

14. strtarrow

strtarrow Guest

OK, I had the same hard lump on the side of my left foot, about midway. It felt like a bone was sticking up and just as hard. After reading this site, I decided to go to the doctor. My doctor is very good at just feeling abnormalities and telling what they are. He said it was a cyst and can either be caused by an injury or pressure. Since I had been to church wearing shoes that do give me a problem, and this foot tends to swell, that is where the pressure came from. I didn't otherwise injure it. I went to the doctor on Thursday, after discovering it Sunday afternoon. By then it was not quite as hard nor almost pointy. (By the way, it didn't move either.) I actually did wonder if I could have broken a bone and it was sticking out. But, it didn't hurt and still doesn't, but has been just a little achy, at times. The doctor said that it will go away after awhile by reabsorbtion. Of course, I shouldn't wear those shoes again. :)
    Some of your problems don't sound like this though and I would go to the doctor to have it checked out.

15. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I also have a small lump on my left foot on the inside right below my ankle. I have had it before it is very hard and did feel like a bone. But the more I played with i I figured out that it was a bit softer then a bone. So I applied pressure Directly on it and it felt as if it dissipated and went away....

16. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Sounds silly, but could it be an insect bite that has got infected? It happened to me.
    Cheers Andy.

17. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I have several of these lumps and they are hard and use to be painful but no more.
    I have more developing on both feet and when i asked a doctor he said it was just a thing you get when you grow up

18. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

A doctor who doesn't know enough to say, "I don't know" is dangerous.

19. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I also have a small pea sized lump about 2 inches down from between the 4th and 5th toe. Mine has been there for over a year. It hurts when I wear shoes, in bed without it touching anything, or just walking. It is at the end of a surgical site that had to heal using a vacpac. My Pod wanted to ultrasound it last year but I ended up getting an epideral pain pump implanted for RSD. He said, last year, that the lumps were common and they didn't mess with them unless they caused problems. At that point it did cause problems. fast forward to today, When I go out I almost always have to revert back to the mobile wheelchair in stores as it hurts too much to wear shoes and walk. I'll let you know what happens next week, friday when the ultrasound is done. He told me what it was, but I'll be darned if I can remember back that long. lol

Mary

20. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I have 2 hard lump in the middle of my foot. One of a fishball size, one pea size. But after long hours of wearing boots, it seems to be gone! Why isit so?