1. Welcome to the Foot Health Forum community where you can ask about foot problems and get help, as well as be up-to-date with the latest foot health information. Only registered members can ask a question, but you do not need to register to respond and give help. Please become part of the community (here) and check out the shop.

Big Toenail Broke Off--How to Disguise

Discussion in 'Ask your questions here' started by Unregistered, Aug 17, 2009.

1. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    I've had toenail fungus and thickening nails on my big toes for a while. This summer, I bumped them and they came off. I'm not sure if they will grow back. How do I disguise them so I can wear sandals. Right now there is some rough growth on part of them along with a smooth area, so I can't just put polish on them.

2. FootDoc

FootDoc New Member

Seems to me that you have a perception problem rather than a foot problem. Certainly, fungused and thickened toenail are hardly a thing of beauty in anyone's book. So, if you were comfortable displaying those ugly toes in sandals while the diseased and deformed nails were attached, why then are you now reluctant to showing those same toes without the ugly deformed nails present? I would NOT advise putting nail polish on them even if they were smooth. I WOULD advise either just showing them and forgetting about it or wearing closed shoes.

3. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I can sympathise - the exact same thing happened to me last night. I've had a nasty brittle/discolouration thing going on with my big toenail for a few years and over the last couple of years it seems to have discnonected from the nail bed about half way down - I've spoken to three different doctors, each of which said it was 'unimportant'... so I've been covering it up with dark nailpolish...

Last night half of my toenail broke off, leaving just the bottom bit... I'm hoping it will grow back, but in the meantime, I'm left with a weird half-baldy toenail (which is quite sore) and it's prime flip flop and sandle time :-( I think I'm going to go with covering it over with a plaster and pretending I did something cool like damaging it running a marathon or messing up a kick in kickboxing! I was wondering about falsies, but I suspect it's not going to do the regrowth any good at all. Poor toe :-(

Good luck getting yours fixed up and coming up with a way of wearing nice shoes over the Summer xxx