1. Welcome to the Foot Health Forum community where you can ask about foot problems and get help, as well as be up-to-date with the latest foot health information. Only registered members can ask a question, but you do not need to register to respond and give help. Please become part of the community (here) and check out the shop.

Ouch!!!feels like I have a splinter in my foot!

Discussion in 'Ask your questions here' started by Unregistered, Mar 16, 2009.

1. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    I have a sensation that I have a splinter/piece of glass or other foriegn body in the bottom of my foot, it hurts!!! It is on the bottom of the heal of my foot where I put all my weight when walking forward.
    I went to a POD DOC and they said it is a blocked sweatgland. He dug out the callaus but not the source of what is causeing the pain or the blockage . It keeps building up a calus.
    I had an MRI performed but to no avail they didnt see any foriegn objects.

I have gained about 12 pounds now and I am still in pain. I went to another doc and he suggested surgery. But cannot promise any results.

any suggestions from anyone else??
    HELP! I AM IN PAIN!!!

Last edited: Mar 16, 2009
  2. FootDoc

FootDoc New Member

DISCLAIMER:
    THE FOLLOWING IS OFFERED GRATIS AS GENERAL INFORMATION ONLY, AND, AS SUCH, MAY NOT BE APPLICABLE TO THE SPECIFIC QUESTIONER AND/OR HIS/HER PROBLEM. IT IS CLEARLY NOT BASED ON ACTUAL KNOWLEDGE AND/OR EXAMINATION OF THE QUESTIONER OR HIS/HER MEDICAL HISTORY, AND IT CAN NOT AND SHOULD NOT BE RELIED UPON AS DEFINITIVE MEDICAL OPINION OR ADVICE. ONLY THROUGH HANDS- ON PHYSICAL CONTACT WITH THE ACTUAL PATIENT CAN ACCURATE MEDICAL DIAGNOSIS BE ESTABLISHED AND SPECIFIC ADVICE BE GIVEN. NO DOCTOR/PATIENT RELATIONSHIP IS CREATED OR ESTABLISHED OR MAY BE INFERRED. THE QUESTIONER AND/OR READER IS INSTRUCTED TO CONSULT HIS OR HER OWN DOCTOR BEFORE PROCEEDING WITH ANY SUGGESTIONS CONTAINED HEREIN, AND TO ACT ONLY UPON HIS/HER OWN DOCTOR’S ORDERS AND RECOMMENDATIONS. BY THE READING OF MY POSTING WHICH FOLLOWS, THE READER STIPULATES AND CONFIRMS THAT HE/SHE FULLY UNDERSTANDS THIS DISCLAIMER AND HOLDS HARMLESS THIS WRITER. IF THIS IS NOT FULLY AGREEABLE TO YOU, THE READER, AND/OR YOU HAVE NOT ATTAINED THE AGE OF 18 YEARS, YOU HEREBY ARE ADMONISHED TO READ NO FURTHER.
    If I might assume, for purpose of discussion, that the podiatrist's diagnosis was correct, it sounds like he/she was talking about a porokeratosis, which, although in my experience is not really a blocked sweat gland as the term suggests, and is more commonly known as a seed corn (except for an impressive diagnosis, maybe for insurance purposes), which is a small keratosis of often unknown specific etiology but possibly from some sort of physical irritant. If my supposition is correct, I would have to opine that having a MRI for such a condition would be, in my view, perhaps treating one's pocketbook or that of one's insurer rather than one's foot. But, of course, I can only make a supposition, based entirely on your podiatrist's stated diagnosis. If indeed it is a seed corn, it may be difficult to permanently eradicate, but general palliative treatment often calls for non-surgical trimming of the keratosis and perhaps the application of a chemical caustic to retard regrowth. Surgical removal can be attempted by curettage, but the keratosis often returns. Full thickness removals with semi-elliptical incisions and sutures has the disadvantage of leaving a fibrous scar, which, on the plantar surface, may be as painful or more-so than then original lesion. That is not to say that successful permanent resolutions are not possible, but they are unpredictable. Shallow foreign bodies of which you voice suspicion, when they are not spontaneously expelled by the body, are often walled off by the body in what is then termed an inclusion cyst, which, in my experience, have a better chance of successful permanent surgical removal. But I cannot make it any more clear to you that I do not have the opportunity to examine your foot and thus everything I have mentioned is mere supposition and should not be consider a diagnosis which might be acted upon.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2009
  3. Jenni

Jenni Guest

4. Jenni

Jenni Guest

This is by far, one of the most well written responses I have ever read. You put a smile on my face :)