1. Welcome to the Foot Health Forum community where you can ask about foot problems and get help, as well as be up-to-date with the latest foot health information. Only registered members can ask a question, but you do not need to register to respond and give help. Please become part of the community (here) and check out the shop.

Jones Fracture - Cast vs. Surgery

Discussion in 'Ask your questions here' started by Unregistered, Jul 19, 2009.

1. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    I have a Jones fracture - 2 weeks old. I assume the protocol for treatment is cast and then if that doesn't work surgery. What are the statistics for success in both? Not knowing the answer ( and being an engineer) I'm leaning towards surgery sooner than later because I fear the success ratio for cast only (given a reasonable time like three months) is low. So why not opt for surgery earlier?

2. FootDoc

FootDoc New Member

DISCLAIMER:
    THE FOLLOWING IS OFFERED GRATIS AS GENERAL INFORMATION ONLY, AND, AS SUCH, MAY NOT BE APPLICABLE TO THE SPECIFIC QUESTIONER AND/OR HIS/HER PROBLEM. IT IS CLEARLY NOT BASED ON ACTUAL KNOWLEDGE AND/OR EXAMINATION OF THE QUESTIONER OR HIS/HER MEDICAL HISTORY, AND IT CAN NOT AND SHOULD NOT BE RELIED UPON AS DEFINITIVE MEDICAL OPINION OR ADVICE. ONLY THROUGH HANDS- ON PHYSICAL CONTACT WITH THE ACTUAL PATIENT CAN ACCURATE MEDICAL DIAGNOSIS BE ESTABLISHED AND SPECIFIC ADVICE BE GIVEN. NO DOCTOR/PATIENT RELATIONSHIP IS CREATED OR ESTABLISHED OR MAY BE INFERRED. THE QUESTIONER AND/OR READER IS INSTRUCTED TO CONSULT HIS OR HER OWN DOCTOR BEFORE PROCEEDING WITH ANY SUGGESTIONS CONTAINED HEREIN, AND TO ACT ONLY UPON HIS/HER OWN DOCTOR’S ORDERS AND RECOMMENDATIONS. BY THE READING OF MY POSTING WHICH FOLLOWS, THE READER STIPULATES AND CONFIRMS THAT HE/SHE FULLY UNDERSTANDS THIS DISCLAIMER AND HOLDS HARMLESS THIS WRITER. IF THIS IS NOT FULLY AGREEABLE TO YOU, THE READER, AND/OR YOU HAVE NOT ATTAINED THE AGE OF 18 YEARS, YOU HEREBY ARE ADMONISHED TO READ NO FURTHER.
    I believe that it is generally held that casting of a Jones fracture has a 70 or so percent success rate and surgery perhaps a 90 percent success rate. On the other hand, most surgical procedures present greater risks of other problems occuring than does conservative treatment. I would think that if you have concerns regarding the method selected by your doctor, you should have a discussion with him/her about his/her reasons for chosing whatever method was chosen.

3. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Thanks

Do you know of any Surgery Center in Los Angeles that specializes in this type of surgery?
    All the doctors I talk to to seem to have a proprietary interest (not suprising) in doing the surgery themselves. Is there a "Mayo Clinic" in this field?

4. mariners0324

mariners0324 Guest

I have a Jones fracture right now as well. I have actually done it 3 times now. Twice in my left foot and just recently in my right foot. I have had surgery twice. Once on each foot. I got surgery the first time on both feet. I recommend the surgery. There is only a 5-10% chance that the bone will break again. I guess I have fallen into that category. I am 2 weeks removed from surgery on my right foot now. It has been healing well and depending on how your bone heals. Will depend on how long you have to be on crutches. The time frame is going to be 6-8 weeks non-weight barring. Followed by 2-4 weeks walking in a walking cam (walking boot). Again my opinion is surgery since I have had success with it. I will also let you know that I am a collegiate athlete and did all 3 times during football practice. I don't know any places in LA. Sorry but I do know of a good surgeon around in NW Iowa that has done both my surgeries.

5. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

thanks for the info. I just recently fractured my foot ( jones ) and now im trying to weigh my options surgery or not. I was reading in some forms that after surgery you can walk only in a walking boot right away...anybody know for sure?

6. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I am three weeks out of surgery (a screw), and I'm still too sore to put all my weight on it, even in the boot. I'm slowly putting more weight on it, though, and my Dr. said I should be in good shape to be walking in a couple of weeks.

The first two weeks, I was instructed to keep all my weight off of it, and I kept it up a lot.

7. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I suffered a Jones Fracture August 4, 2010 and was in a boot, non-weight-bearing until September 29. On September 29, I was told to gradually increase to weight bearing in the boot for 4 weeks. At the end of the 4 weeks, it was healed almost entirely. I had been feeling some residual pain and started physical therapy. It is working wonders.

My best advice is to stay off of it ENTIRELY!!! NO WEIGHT BEARING ACTIVITIES AT ALL! Otherwise, you run the risk of it not healing. Also, make sure to drink plenty of milk (Calcium), get plenty of vitamin C (citrus, leafy green veggies) and don't take Ibuprofen for the pain, only Acetaminophen based pain medicines since Ibuprofen can inhibit bone growth. If you are a smoker, or are around smokers, try to minimize your exposure since Carbon Monoxide inhibits blood circulation especially in the extremities.

These are all the steps I took and healed 100% perfectly with no surgery. Don't jump to that option. It's not worth the recovery time from that.

8. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Thank you very much for sharing your story. I've just been dx and you answered many questions I have.

9. durzo flint

durzo flint Guest

i broke my foot, jones fracture 5th metatarsal. i have been in a cast for three weeks becauuse i cannot decide to have a screw put in or not. i live an active lifestyle mma, climbing, running, but most importantly telemark skiing. this type of skiing requiers me to flex my foot to the limits. i am afraid that the screw will fracture and cause more problems. does anyone know what kind of stainles they use ex: austinetic or ferritic. serieis 316 would be a good material but titanium might be better. i just need some advice on trying to heal naturaly and screw if i didnt heal or is it better to just screw it sooner cause i hear the fail rate is low. im a non smoker with a good amuine system. im just scared i guess. bein a chiken but i need my foot. please help any opinions will be greatly apreciated.

10. durzo flint

durzo flint Guest

i broke my foot, jones fracture 5th metatarsal. i have been in a cast for three weeks becauuse i cannot decide to have a screw put in or not. i live an active lifestyle mma, climbing, running, but most importantly telemark skiing. this type of skiing requiers me to flex my foot to the limits. i am afraid that the screw will fracture and cause more problems. does anyone know what kind of stainles they use ex: austinetic or ferritic. serieis 316 would be a good material but titanium might be better. i just need some advice on trying to heal naturaly and screw if i didnt heal or is it better to just screw it sooner cause i hear the fail rate is low. im a non smoker with a good amuine system. im just scared i guess. bein a chiken but i need my foot. please help any opoinions will be greatly apreciated.

11. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

what did you end up doing? my husband was just diagnosed with a jones fracture and I'm completely against the surgery.... any advice??

12. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I fractured my 4th and 5th metatarsals in August 2012. The fourth healed quick but the 5th was a Jones fracture and in pieces. The first dr I went to suggested healing it conservatively so I was in a cast for 9. Weeks and a boot for about 6 weeks. It did not heal! I got a second opinion and just had surgery to put in a plate, 7 screws and donor bone graft along with a bone graft off my heel! I am in a cast for another 4 weeks! It has been 5 months since the fracture. I should have gotten surgery sooner! I am hoping to be walking soon!

13. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Go with surgery I am avid runner, triathlete and outdoor person in general and even though I was afraid this would effect me having screw in, I don't even notice it at all. My dr. knew how important being active was to me and strongly suggested surgery and after reading about the ratios of reinjury I too opted for surgery. Feeling great and ahead of schedule for healing. Important thing is after surgery pay attention and keep off it until your dr oks it. very important

14. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I fell down the stairs and in doing this, I found out same day that it was a Jones fracture which did not look bad at all. I been in a aircast boot since may 1st and my foot no longer hurts, what are the odds of me needing surgery?