1. Welcome to the Foot Health Forum community where you can ask about foot problems and get help, as well as be up-to-date with the latest foot health information. Only registered members can ask a question, but you do not need to register to respond and give help. Please become part of the community (here) and check out the shop.

Recovery Time, Plantar Fasciitis

Discussion in 'Ask your questions here' started by Bobby, Apr 3, 2009.

1. Bobby

Bobby New Member

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    Hello,

I have Plantar Fasciitis in my feet, left worse than right, which came on about 2 weeks ago. I have rested and iced and stretched since then but I wondered if any other posters have this and if so how long can it last, is it intermittent and will any running increase the recovery time? I am reading horrendous accounts of suffering lasting up to 12 months..!!?

Thank you for any help

B

2. FootDoc

FootDoc New Member

DISCLAIMER:
    THE FOLLOWING IS OFFERED GRATIS AS GENERAL INFORMATION ONLY, AND, AS SUCH, MAY NOT BE APPLICABLE TO THE SPECIFIC QUESTIONER AND/OR HIS/HER PROBLEM. IT IS CLEARLY NOT BASED ON ACTUAL KNOWLEDGE AND/OR EXAMINATION OF THE QUESTIONER OR HIS/HER MEDICAL HISTORY, AND IT CAN NOT AND SHOULD NOT BE RELIED UPON AS DEFINITIVE MEDICAL OPINION OR ADVICE. ONLY THROUGH HANDS-ON PHYSICAL CONTACT WITH THE ACTUAL PATIENT CAN ACCURATE MEDICAL DIAGNOSIS BE ESTABLISHED AND SPECIFIC ADVICE BE GIVEN. NO DOCTOR/PATIENT RELATIONSHIP IS CREATED OR ESTABLISHED OR MAY BE INFERRED. THE QUESTIONER AND/OR READER IS INSTRUCTED TO CONSULT HIS OR HER OWN DOCTOR BEFORE PROCEEDING WITH ANY SUGGESTIONS CONTAINED HEREIN, AND TO ACT ONLY UPON HIS/HER OWN DOCTOR’S ORDERS AND RECOMMENDATIONS. BY THE READING OF MY POSTING WHICH FOLLOWS, THE READER STIPULATES AND CONFIRMS THAT HE/SHE FULLY UNDERSTANDS THIS DISCLAIMER AND HOLDS HARMLESS THIS WRITER. IF THIS IS NOT FULLY AGREEABLE TO YOU, THE READER, AND/OR YOU HAVE NOT ATTAINED THE AGE OF 18 YEARS, YOU HEREBY ARE ADMONISHED TO READ NO FURTHER.
    Plantar fasciitis is one of the most common foot problems seen by podiatrists. Treatment may be conservative or require various types of surgery and other modalities. There is no definable average length of time for resolution, and often treatment is relegated to control and remission rather than permanent cure. If conservative care is administer, and that certainly is generally the best place to start, it is necessary to have comprehensive, generally multi-faceted care, which generally includes anti-inflammatories either oral or by local injection, physical therapy and support, generally with an orthotic, rather than a single approach. It is generally important not to go without a shoes with a heel, as flat shoes will often exacerbate the problem. See a good podiatrist.

3. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I've had plantar fasciitis 3times, 2x in right foot and 1 time in left. Had professional help (PT and cortisone shots) in right foot. Cortisone shots helped, not so sure about PT. Left foot plantar fasciitis came about because of hallux rigidus on right big toe and change in my gait. Did not seek help for the left foot and plantar fasciitis lasted for a year. Right foot with cortisone shots seemed to shorten time I was having problem. With left foot I tried to be aware of wearing better shoes and exercises to stretch muscles in the calf of my leg. Bought an OTC brace to wear at night to keep my foot in the correct position. Seemed just like I woke up one day and the pain was gone. Am scheduled to have surgery on toe for hallux rigidus in a couple of weeks. Not looking forward to it because I know the recovery will not be overnight but from what I'm reading on the internet that rest, elevation, icing, and PT are the key to good prognosis and recovery. Plan on doing everything the Dr. says to do to make for the best possible recovery. Have suffered with hallux rigidus for almost 2 years and dr. says if I don't have surgery soon I will need to have toe fused...not wanting that to happen.

4. Nikki

Nikki Guest

I've been searching for forums so that I can post a response that will hopefully help someone. I began having this pain and was diagnosed by a podiatrist with plantar fasciitis. I received a cortisone injection but within a few days the pain was back. I causally mentioned it to my chiropractor and he said "I can fix that!". We proceeded to work on my ankle because he said that the reason my tendon was so tight was because my ankle was sort of jammed up. He really decompressed my ankle a lot ... lots of pops and it felt so much looser after just one adjustment. The second time he worked on it, I got some pops out, but the third time it appears to have stayed in place. The pain was gone after the first time he worked on my ankle.

Just wanted wanted to pass this on. Some docs treat symptoms and others fix the PROBLEM! If you're having this problem, find a good chiropractor that can help fix the problem...especially before going under the knife!

I hope this helps!