1. Welcome to the Foot Health Forum community where you can ask about foot problems and get help, as well as be up-to-date with the latest foot health information. Only registered members can ask a question, but you do not need to register to respond and give help. Please become part of the community (here) and check out the shop.

burning on ball of foot

Discussion in 'Ask your questions here' started by James M. Vance, Aug 17, 2008.

1. James M. Vance

James M. Vance New Member

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    I am a 69 year old male, and recently I have had two surgeries on my foot for hammer toes.
    Since the last surgery, in Feb. of this year, I have had, frequently, a burning sensation on the ball of my foot, at times getting so severe that it is difficult to walk.
    The first surgery I had seemed to be a success. My toes were straight, and all pain in my ankle and instep was gone. But an over-active PT cause my toes to reject the screws that were put in them, and the toes curled up, causing hammer toes again. The second surgery was to correct this, screws were re-inserted.
    It has not been a success. My toes are crooked, I get a lot of pain in the base of the toes, one toe is much longer than the others (I have to wear a sock at night so it doesn't catch on the bedding!). And then, there is the burning sensation in the ball of my foot. It does not happen all of the time, but often enough to be incapacitating.
    Any suggestions as to relief? Perhaps some type of drug would be good.
    As you can see, I am at my wit's end trying to solve this problem. I hope you can help me.

2. FootDoc

FootDoc New Member

DISCLAIMER:
    THE FOLLOWING IS OFFERED GRATIS AS GENERAL INFORMATION ONLY, AND, AS SUCH, MAY NOT BE APPLICABLE TO THE SPECIFIC QUESTIONER AND/OR HIS/HER PROBLEM. IT IS CLEARLY NOT BASED ON ACTUAL KNOWLEDGE AND/OR EXAMINATION OF THE QUESTIONER OR HIS/HER MEDICAL HISTORY, AND IT CAN NOT AND SHOULD NOT BE RELIED UPON AS DEFINITIVE MEDICAL OPINION OR ADVICE. ONLY THROUGH HANDS- ON PHYSICAL CONTACT WITH THE ACTUAL PATIENT CAN ACCURATE MEDICAL DIAGNOSIS BE ESTABLISHED AND SPECIFIC ADVICE BE GIVEN. NO DOCTOR/PATIENT RELATIONSHIP IS CREATED OR ESTABLISHED OR MAY BE INFERRED. THE QUESTIONER AND/OR READER IS INSTRUCTED TO CONSULT HIS OR HER OWN DOCTOR BEFORE PROCEEDING WITH ANY SUGGESTIONS CONTAINED HEREIN, AND TO ACT ONLY UPON HIS/HER OWN DOCTOR’S ORDERS AND RECOMMENDATIONS. BY THE READING OF MY POSTING WHICH FOLLOWS, THE READER STIPULATES AND CONFIRMS THAT HE/SHE FULLY UNDERSTANDS THIS DISCLAIMER AND HOLDS HARMLESS THIS WRITER. IF THIS IS NOT FULLY AGREEABLE TO YOU, THE READER, AND/OR YOU HAVE NOT ATTAINED THE AGE OF 18 YEARS, YOU HEREBY ARE ADMONISHED TO READ NO FURTHER.
    Your story is replete with seemingly unassociated events and complaints . . Firstly, hammertoes would not be expected to have caused pain in the instep and the ankle, so I don't know why you associate the resolution of those pains with the hammertoe procedure. Secondly, in my opinion, there is no reason to believe that PT caused a rejection of otherwise properly inserted screws. So you may not be offering a completely accurate story, and unless there was something quite unusual about the hammertoe procedures, one would not expect to have burning pain on the ball of the foot as a complication of the surgery.

Although I certainly cannot know all the details of your case, I think that you might need to have your present complaints evaluated as completely different events, unassociated with your hammertoe surgery. Until a diagnosis can be established, treatment advice would be inappropriate.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2008
  3. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

The hammertoes, while not actually causing any pain in my ankle or instep, threw me off balance enough so that when I tried--unconsiously--to correct my stance, I caused pain in both my ankle and instep.
    After the first surgery, everything went very satisfactorly. It wasn't until I started PT that the procedure I was asked to do caused my toes to flex radically. Within 2 weeks, I started to have bruising and pain in the toes, and 2 of the 3 screws backed out. When they broke the surface of the skin, the doctor removed them, and then I had the same surgery again.
    After the 2nd surgery, the toes were not straight, and the third toe was longer and more flattened-out than the others. Shortly after the surgery, I started to have a burning sensation in the ball of the foot that had the surgery. Now, I have bruising on my feet at the base of my toes, my ankle hurts, my instep hurts, and I have the burning sensation every week or so for 3 or 4 days.

4. FootDoc

FootDoc New Member

Clearly, the nature and cause of your problems are impossible to determine without a through and knowledgeable review of your case and a physical examination. Forums such as this are for general information only, and are not appropriate venues for the offering of case-specific advice, especially in regard to possible surgical complications on unknown cause and consequence.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2008
  5. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Could the burning be neuropathy? This can occur after surgery.