1. Welcome to the Foot Health Forum community where you can ask about foot problems and get help, as well as be up-to-date with the latest foot health information. Only registered members can ask a question, but you do not need to register to respond and give help. Please become part of the community (here) and check out the shop.

Need help walking on one crutch and then boot

Discussion in 'Ask your questions here' started by One Crutch walking, Dec 21, 2008.

1. Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    I broke a bone in my foot 7 weeks ago. I am supposed to start walking with 75% of my weight on one crutch and then all my weight on the boot without crutches.

I have tried one crutch and just on the boot, but my body can't seem to remember how to walk. It feels like the uninjured side tenses up and won't allow weight on the other side- and when I'm walking with one crutch it is more like hopping/limping than walking.

I have pain in my uninjured side shoulder and hip when walking on one crutch.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

2. FootDoc

FootDoc New Member

DISCLAIMER:
    THE FOLLOWING IS OFFERED GRATIS AS GENERAL INFORMATION ONLY, AND, AS SUCH, MAY NOT BE APPLICABLE TO THE SPECIFIC QUESTIONER AND/OR HIS/HER PROBLEM. IT IS CLEARLY NOT BASED ON ACTUAL KNOWLEDGE AND/OR EXAMINATION OF THE QUESTIONER OR HIS/HER MEDICAL HISTORY, AND IT CAN NOT AND SHOULD NOT BE RELIED UPON AS DEFINITIVE MEDICAL OPINION OR ADVICE. ONLY THROUGH HANDS- ON PHYSICAL CONTACT WITH THE ACTUAL PATIENT CAN ACCURATE MEDICAL DIAGNOSIS BE ESTABLISHED AND SPECIFIC ADVICE BE GIVEN. NO DOCTOR/PATIENT RELATIONSHIP IS CREATED OR ESTABLISHED OR MAY BE INFERRED. THE QUESTIONER AND/OR READER IS INSTRUCTED TO CONSULT HIS OR HER OWN DOCTOR BEFORE PROCEEDING WITH ANY SUGGESTIONS CONTAINED HEREIN, AND TO ACT ONLY UPON HIS/HER OWN DOCTOR’S ORDERS AND RECOMMENDATIONS. BY THE READING OF MY POSTING WHICH FOLLOWS, THE READER STIPULATES AND CONFIRMS THAT HE/SHE FULLY UNDERSTANDS THIS DISCLAIMER AND HOLDS HARMLESS THIS WRITER. IF THIS IS NOT FULLY AGREEABLE TO YOU, THE READER, AND/OR YOU HAVE NOT ATTAINED THE AGE OF 18 YEARS, YOU HEREBY ARE ADMONISHED TO READ NO FURTHER.
    First of all, in my opinion, no one should be allowed on crutches before having proper instructions in their use, and then being checked out on them. Crutch walking, improperly performed, can be potentially very dangerous, and has been know to lead to more problems than that for which the crutches were originally needed. I would not personally ever recommend that a patient of mine use only one crutch, and certainly, if by their use, you are creating pains in otherwise uninjured areas of the body, you need to go back to your doctor for instructions and training.

I will, never understand, though, why any patient would prefer to rely on comments and/or instructions from someone on the Internet who does not know them or their situation, rather than picking up the phone and calling his or her own doctor. It one does not consider their own doctor's advice reliable, knowledgeable and trustworthy, then I would suggest engaging another doctor.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2008
  3. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

You may be using the crutch improperly. I'm not a doctor, but when I injured my knee, I was taught to put the crutch on the same side as my good leg. It worked well when I moved the bad leg and crutch at the same time.

4. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Foot Doc,

Reason 1 - Each visit to the doctor is expensive. (even with insurance) Some, through no fault of thier own, just don't have the money.

Reason 2 - Many people don't have transportation to the doctor and can't drive with a broke foot.

Reason 3 - Often a doctor will allow for only a minute or two of dialog before he is gone to the next patient.

Reason 4 - A person with the severe pain of a broke foot may not be the best listener in the Dr's office. And if you call back for more info, you'll get a nurse who most likely never saw your foot in the first place and her advice will be to come back in and see the doctor. (see reason 1 and 2)

There are a multitude of other reasons known only by the people who are searching for advice.

5. Foot Doc

Foot Doc Guest

And to that I reiterate:
    I will, never understand, though, why any patient would prefer to rely on comments and/or instructions from someone on the Internet who does not know them or their situation, rather than picking up the phone and calling his or her own doctor. It one does not consider their own doctor's advice reliable, knowledgeable and trustworthy, then I would suggest engaging another doctor.

If you or anyone else thinks that there is such little value in obtaining quality information from a professional who knows them and their case, then he/she has little concern for him/herself and his/her well being. I won't facilitate or enable that.

FOOT DOC

6. Foot_Doc

Foot_Doc Guest

Normally, I would reiterate what I've already iterated. But in this case I will rephrase. People need to ask their doctor for advice. Why do they think coming to a forum called Foot Health Forum is a place to ask questions about foot health? That's preposterous and I won't tollerate it.

________
    Foot Doc

7. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Foot Doc... lighten up. If it's so "preposterous" and you "won't tolerate it", why are you even giving advice here in the first place? You're just as bad as everyone else then. Don't support a cause you don't support yourself. There are other forums you can visit to be condescending and self righteous, I'm sure the OP didn't come here for that.

I have two suggestions since I am currently dealing with a broken foot and my Dr/Physio therapist said to use only one crutch.

1) It's been 7 weeks... your muscles have probably atrophed. Of course you feel like you can't walk! No one said it would be easy, it will take a while getting used to, but if you are in pain then take it easy. The "walk it off" approach is never really helpful. Practice a little bit at a time, don't over do it. You'd be surprised how fast you start to remember (or frustrated at how slow your body heals, like in my situation :S)

2) Are you using the crutch on the appropriate side? Like someone else mentioned, use your crutch on your GOOD side. That's a mistake a lot of people make. Using it with your bad leg will only add more stress/weight to your injury.

8. Arrogant Footdoc

That Footdoc is about the most arrogant thing I've heard for years.
    Even if he may be speaking to an American marked, not knowing the Europeans will snorting in disguste when reading him.

OK: So you want me to lie flat at a snow covered road from Saturday until Monday, before I call my doctor 300 km away?

So you don't trust the first fysiotherapist that checked me out?

So you think I'm an idiot, since I want to reduce the load on my knees, even BEFORE I visit my doctor?

So you don't trust the ortopedic surgeon that borrowed me the crutches?

And you think I am an idiot since I look three days ahead, when the only circumstances I will use crutches is if I can use a single one, and I wonder what thoughts other people have made about which side to then use it on?