1. Welcome to the Foot Health Forum community where you can ask about foot problems and get help, as well as be up-to-date with the latest foot health information. Only registered members can ask a question, but you do not need to register to respond and give help. Please become part of the community (here) and check out the shop.

Broken right 5th Metatarsal at the base

Discussion in 'Ask your questions here' started by HelsBels2102, Dec 16, 2011.

1. HelsBels2102

HelsBels2102 New Member

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    Hi guys,
    So last Saturday night I turned my ankle. I went to a and e and they said that I broke my 5th metatarsal. I went to the fracture clinic today and the doctor said that it was quite displaced so he gave me two options:
    1. Have an operation (not sure what this would envolve?)
    2. Put my foot in a cast for 5 weeks and see how it's healing, if it hsnt healed properly then they may do the op.

My doctor recomended to put it in the cast to see if it would heal naturally and even got a second doctors opinion who agreed with the first. So i'm currently in the cast.

I was just wondering whether anyone knows what the operation would envolve incase i need it? Also how long about would it take if I did have the operation after the five weeks? Has anyone had experience or a similar fracture and how long did it take for yours to heal? I know everyone heals at different times but i'm curious.

I'm supposed to go skiing mid feb so i'm hopeing that I don't have to have the op and that it heals soon. I'm 17 by the way.

Any information would be fab! :)

Oh and heres an xray

Attached Files:

2. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

There's a few different ways to surgically repair it. Pins and k-wire. I had a similar avulsion fracture and my surgeon used a intramedullary screw and a plate. If a fracture is stable and the fracture is pressed up against each surface it takes 3 to 4 weeks for the bone to heal. The bigger the gap the longer it takes. If you were an athlete, in america, they would put the screw in asap. It shortens the recuperation time and makes the fracture stable and gets you back in action quicker. To not get the surgery means a compression sleeve and complete non weight bearing and hope to god it heals on its own without ant type of non-union. I waited 5 months, which was not my choice, and still then had surgery in the end. It will be between 8 and 12 months before mine is completely healed from the time I fractured it. That doesn't mean yours is the same though! If I had all the correct info when I fractured it I would, without a doubt, made sure things were done different................BTW... Good luck with that ski trip.... you might be spending some time in the hot tub then the slope. But who knows.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2011