1. Welcome to the Foot Health Forum community where you can ask about foot problems and get help, as well as be up-to-date with the latest foot health information. Only registered members can ask a question, but you do not need to register to respond and give help. Please become part of the community (here) and check out the shop.

Broken little toe 5th phalanx

Discussion in 'Ask your questions here' started by eld, Oct 1, 2010.

1. eld

eld Guest

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    I understand that without seeing it no-one can give a definate answer would be interested in some advice please. I recieved a crush injury to my foot whilst wearing flip-flops 1st week in July. My foot/5th toe was swollen badly and I had a fair amount of bruising. around the 5th metatarsal joining onto the toe area. Pain eased after a couple of weeks of painkillers and ice, although not 100%. Swelling went down, bruising didn't. I thought that it must have been deep bruising and it would simply take time to heal, so left it well alone. Still getting pain (September) around the full length of the 5th metatarsal and toe, which has worsened and mild pins and needles down the side of my foot. Bit the bullet and went to the docs, and had xray last week. Results from local hospital xray show 5th phalanx fracture near the base with no sign of healing, told to now buddy tape for 4 weeks. Decided to go back to my own doctors today as it has become even more painful who has decided to refer me to orthopedics as he isn't happy that 3 month on there is no sign of healing. My main concern is that my pain/pins and needles is down the side of 5th metatarsal and not so much the injury to my actual toe. Should I be worried that this is happening 3 months on? Advice appreciated, prior to my appointment at hospital.

Many Thanks,
    Eld

2. FootDoc

FootDoc New Member

I would think that if you have had a non-union after 3 months that it would take an invasive procedure to effect healing.