1. Welcome to the Foot Health Forum community where you can ask about foot problems and get help, as well as be up-to-date with the latest foot health information. Only registered members can ask a question, but you do not need to register to respond and give help. Please become part of the community (here) and check out the shop.

Jones Fracture

Discussion in 'Ask your questions here' started by Unregistered, Aug 26, 2008.

1. Gimpy Girl

Gimpy Girl Guest

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    Regarding the "collateral damage" -- I have to definitely agree with that. I had a base 5th fracture, expected to be walking with a healed foot at 6 weeks, that didn't happen, took a bit longer... But even when the fracture finally healed, I am left with lots of pain in my outer ankle and foot, major swelling, and it's going on 6 months post-injury. Have been sent for a CT, didn't show much other than traumatic arthritis, so now having an MRI. Will get my results the first week of May, and quite frankly not sure what to wish for: That they find something, or that they don't!! Answers, I guess, that's all I wish for.

Hope yours is quick to heal, and the collateral damage is minimal.

2. PattyBags

PattyBags Guest

Suffered a Jones Fracture kick boxing. I stepped on something while kicking and twisted my foot back and in. My fracture was slightly displaced and my surgeon told me this reduces of the chance of healing completely. He used a long threaded screw. Happened 2 weeks ago. Just got surgery today. It looked nice and straight and togethor, he showed me the fluoro images. Great info on the site, I'm looking forward to contributing. Non-weight bearing for 3 weeks as per MD. I'll check back next week and let you guys know how it's going.

P.S. Regarding the X-ray above:
    I'm an X-ray Tech not a Dr. That is not a Jones Fracture.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2011
  3. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

God complex asshole!

4. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Talk about assholes, look to yourself. Do you honestly mean to tell us that in a 3 year old thread with almost 150 responses THIS is YOUR contribution?

5. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I had a Jones Fracture (by definition and location). No cast, only boot. No weight bearing for 2 full months. Exogen Bone Stimulator religiously each day for about 3 months.
    Time before the fracture was no longer visible...............2 years.
    Be patient my friend. It will hurt for a while, but as long as you are healthy, and do not have diseases that decrease blood flow to extremeties (Lord knows the blood flow to that
    location is bad enough), it should heal. Also, because of the tension on the bone by attached tendons and such, it really does slow down the healing process.
    I also would see about serious Physical Therapy after you are able to walk on it. I did not, and developed severe Tendonitis that hurt just as bad as the dang fracture. Good thing with that was the Tendonitis and pain went away after only 2 weeks with Physical Therapy.
    It did take about 2 years for the Tendonitis to appear.
    Good Luck.
    David

6. Patty Bags

Patty Bags Guest

Hello All,

This is 2nd week post-op. I'm already walking with very little pain. My surgeon was pretty upset that I wasn't using my crutches. So I'm trying to take it easy. He said at week 3 I should be able to put full weight on it. I'm using Arnica, it's a homeopathic remedy. No studies have been done to actually says it works, but I like the homeopathic thing and many pro athletes use it. My doc says he wants to see some ossification on the x-rays by 6 weeks otherwise he will start using the bone stimulator. He also said that the threaded screw is hallow. So it's a race between my bone healing and the screw breaking. That's how he convinced me to take it easy. I have a question, though. Since the pain and swelling are almost gone, isn't that a sign that the bone is healing??? If it wasn't healing, I would still be in pain, right??? Your advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

P.S. Healthcare workers are the worst patients.

7. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Last week went to a podiatrist due to pain on the outside of my left foot (Mid Way). Xrays were taken and he asked me if I ever broke my foot, which I hadn't, he showed me the break and he said it was healed, put me in a walking boot, pain still persists, just wondering if the was a Jones Fracture that healed but still causing the pain and that it didn't actually heal.

8. Patty Bags

Patty Bags Guest

You have to take x-rays and ask your doc. That is the only way to know for sure.

9. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Hi,
    I went to a podiatrist today after feeling some pain in my left foot.
    It turned out that I have a Jones fracture, and he said it wasn't recent. I then remembered the incident, about 5 months ago, there was an awkward step on the stairs, after which I felt pain for a couple of days, that went away with an ice pack and I thought nothing of it since.
    Until now. Because it hasn't been treated for five months, it has gotten quite a bit worse.
    Because I recently had a surgery with complications (pulmonary embolism after pituitary adenectomy), because I have Cushing's, diabetes, and high blood pressure, surgery is contraindicated. So I got a "boot" and crutches, plus going on "Bone Stimulator" soon.

But that leaves me with a few questions:

1. Is there an appropriate/inappropriate resting position for when I am sitting with the boot on? I find that leaning the foot on the heel is most comfortable, but I also find that it seems like that later I feel the most pain after this position.
    2. I was told any form of steroid is bad. I might need testosterone-replacement therapy for other issues. Is that bad with a fracture?
    3. Should I be taking something for inflammation? How about other supplements, such as calcium or Vitamin D?
    4. Does it matter if the boot is tight/loose? If I am not stepping on the foot, what is the point of the boot?

10. Injured Girl

Injured Girl Guest

i'm not a doctor, but here are my responses to your questions based on personal experience/what doctors have told me.

1. while your foot is healing, you should always keep it elevated. this will help reduce swelling.

2. not sure about the steroids question.

3. for inflammation you can take aspirin which will help reduce the swelling. calcium pills will help with the bone healing.

4. the boot should be tight. the point of the boot is to keep your foot from moving so that the bones can heal.

11. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I have been reading the threads related to the "Jones Fracture" as I happily have one. Thanks "Foot Doc" for all of your advice and information, although it would seem that there have been those who did not appreciate it as much as they should! The most important general suggestion that I can give, being one that makes a great deal of use of various message boards is that many times you will find the information that you desire/need if you just read though all the posts..........................................

12. Grancyanne

Grancyanne Guest

I have a Jones fracture about 5-6 weeks old. Doc told me no wt bearing at all and I
    tried but didn't follow orders completely, needing to work, etc. Today I went back and saw
    x-ray and the fracture space is larger and doc did not sound optimistic altho he advised continuing boot and no weight bearing. He also said surgery may be necessary. I am wondering if a fracture which has enlarged has any real chance of healing if I am more careful? Anyone have this experience? I don't know if I should wait another month to see what happens and then end up having surgery anyway? Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

13. Succinct

Succinct New Member

I am new to this board. My Jones Fracture "saga" is detailed here:

http://www.foot-health-forum.com/forum/showpost.php?p=95096&postcount=43

I had a 5th metatarsal fracture 21 years ago (doc didn't call it "Jones" then but was in same location on my other foot), when I was in my 20's. I didn't need surgery and healed up completely in 16 weeks (6 weeks in a cast, f/b 6 weeks in hard shoe, f/b 6 weeks no athletics).

This time around (injury at age 48) it's been much more devastating. My mgmt at work must think I am milking this or lying because it just refuses to heal!! Anyway, check out my story (linked above) and let me know if you have any insights. The biggest challenge has simply been morale, and maintaining my marriage and job.

14. Succinct

Succinct New Member

Grancyanne,
    You didn't state your age, but my feeling is that at this point the surgery is your best option if you can do it. You should have been put in a cast for at least 6 weeks and have had NO weight bearing whatsoever. I think that would have gotten you on the road to healing. But that didn't happen, and at this point the fracture crevice has widened.

I am not a doctor (just a mechanical engineer who has lived thru HELL with this fracture), but I've read a couple of articles about how bone that hasn't healed develops a hardening or localized schlerosis (sp?) at the fracture site, making it that much more difficult to get it to knit. This phenomenon is made worse with screws if the screw happens to break (my current problem). I've also noticed that my healing progress while wearing a cast was much better than when switched to a cam boot.

So get the surgery done asap. Get the proper type of shoulder screw so that the bone pieces will pull together as the screw is tightened (my doctor used a fully-threaded screw that did not effectively close the fracture site). Do the P.T., and you should be back in action within 2 to 3 months (don't push it!). Pay the price now, don't stretch it out. Not doing what you were supposed to do to begin with has only prolonged your recovery, but despite my saga I am still convinced the surgery is the best way to go.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2011
  15. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

People are looking for any answer to the troubles they are having with aggravating injuries. Maybe they are trying to find someone with a common affliction. I have myself have previously written in this domain.
    I have a 4 month old avulsion fracture at the base of the 5th metatarsal. It has turned into a non-union. A fibrous non-union to be exact. I have finally found a podiatrist worth a hoot and I will have surgery on it next week. Plate and screw.
    I searched the internet compulsively looking for any reason my foot was still bothering me at 3 months, while the orthopedic said the x-ray showed bone growth and physical therapists were telling me not to walk with a limp. It was still fractured! I had said to the ortho on my last visit "could this be a fibrous union". The ortho said "yep its possible we need to do an MRI. Do you wanna get one". Yes please I said.
    I have never had any answers provided to me here in this forum. It was going on the internet and learning about the Torg Classification of 5th metatarsal fractures and ordering articles off the American Journal of Orthopedics website and digging through as much as I could find that I have learned anything about my injury.
    The thing that has helped me the most is finding a great podiatrist. He answered all my questions and gave me much more in 40 minutes then I got in 3 months. You would like to be able to trust a doctor with your injuries but if you are not getting your questions answered, pull the trigger and get another Dr.
    Listening to other people talk about what they went through to get back on track doesn't mean thats whats its gonna take for you to get back. Write a list of questions down and ask your doctor all of them.

16. Jedi

Jedi Guest

I'm 48, 6'2": X ray shows that I have a " non displaced traverse fracture involving the proximal diaphysis of the fifth metatarsal consistent w/ Jones fracture. There is no evidence of dislocation or arthritis.". Can you translate this for me? My basic understanding is that I have a stress fracture, even though I don't run, not a soldier, etc; that I have a broken bone in my Right foot that's luckily aligned, and to stay off of it for 4 weeks. My foot had been hurting, tight, was limping to avoid straining muscles, tendons, ligaments, not sure what they are but they were tight and didn't want to be stretchedz. Ortho doc put me in a black cast that I can take on and off. (I had a molded cast in Japan that was much nicer, for a vascular Charlie Horse kind of thing, Rt Calf, another story.). BTW, I had a compound fracture of my Rt shin in 1982, plates in, osteomyelitis, plates out, healed, now usu walk and swim with no problem. I'm getting a bone density scan tomorrow, Dexa. Primary Care Doc wanted this. Assuming no osteoporosis, what's the average length of time to heal and be able to walk again? 4 weeks seems short to me. in general, should people with Jones fracture not move the foot at all, even to gently take the cast off and change a stinky sock? I'm not asking for medical advice or treatment guidance, but general information that will help me better understand this situation. Thank you. Great forum.

17. Jedi

Jedi Guest

Foot Doc, You Rock! I appreciated your response to the :/$% guy who used expletives in his posting. For those of us who are posted up on the couch, surfing the web, looking for information, we need a site like this.

How do people, if they were so inclined, hit you with a contribution to maintain this site? PayPal for example, or Google Wallet?

18. Succinct

Succinct New Member

Sir I am only a year older than you. I can share a couple of general observations:
    1) Do NOT expect things to go ANYTHING like they did in 1982. You are much older now and your physical body just doesn't heal like it used to.
    2) Given the "non-displaced"/"transverse" description of your fracture, I cannot believe just 4 weeks of inactivity will cut it. When I was a young 26 and had a similar injury on my right foot it required 6 to 8 weeks in a cast, 6 more weeks in a stiff shoe, and then 6 more weeks of no athletics/running.
    3) Everyone is different, and your story will no doubt vary from mine. Therefore you need to find a doctor who can clarify these things for you. But like you, I am not a runner or soldier yet developed stress fracture symptoms in my left foot prior to stepping on it awkwardly and exploding with pain. My new/current doctor blamed my basic foot shape (called it "hindfoot Varus") for excess loading of that part of my foot, which likely led to a stress fracture in that area. And which is also to blame for my non-healing now (see my story linked above).

Unless you want to end up like me (and still be disabled a year after your fracture diagnosis), you should take a more conservative approach with your recovery. I just don't think 4 weeks will ensure 100% healing for you, given your age and non-traumatic conditions that precipitated the injury. But I am not a doctor and only a GOOD doctor who is seeing you live and in person can make the call. So I recommend you get a second opinion from another doctor. Call a physical therapist you trust and get a recommendation. Don't waste any more time, do it now!

BTW, my primary care dr ordered a bone scan. Felt like a woman going into that place, but got it done and the results were perfectly normal. SO that was a dead end.

19. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Hello- Please Help
    -I am an elite level basketball player who has been out for almost 6 weeks from the dreaded Jones' Fracture. I have an exogen bone healer- been using it everyday. My team is about to head into play-offs next week and this is my 5th year of basketball at UNiversity- this is my LAST chance to play. I have been walking on my foot in supportive shoes as my podiatrist says this can stimulate bone healing to stress the area a bit. I have no pain, just a little achyness from time to time.
    Is is possible for me to play in our last 4-5 games (we want to win nationals in Canada).? I fully understand that premature return can result in greater damages- however, this is extremely important to me. I want and need to play for my team. Can anyone tell me their experience?
    Sincerely,
    Desperate Athlete

20. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I just joined the Jones club this Sunday. I was pulling nails out of a pile of landscaping ties that I wanted to reuse in the back yard when I slipped and somehow whacked the left side of my left foot on one of the ties. It hurt like the devil but I didn't think I had broken anything, just bruised it. There was some pain. Maybe 3 out of 10 but I could walk on it. I carried on and even went to work on Monday. By Tuesday morning my foot was swollen and purple so I took it down to the local hospital where they confirmed my membership in the club. Next day I met with an orthopedic surgeon who gave me the rules about leaving the club. Number one was just put a cat on it and hope for the best. Not recommended. Number two was treat it with a removable cast and ultrasound every day for six to eight weeks. Better, but I would have to buy the ultrasound machine. $2500. Number three was let him fix it properly with a pin and this was his recommendation. I have a date with him in the OR this Monday or Tuesday, yet to confirmed by the OR booking desk. After that he says six weeks off it. Luckily I have six months of accumulated sick leave at work and a good woman who doesn't mind waiting on my every whim.