foot health forum  
Discususion and Information on Foot Problems

Go Back   Foot Pain & Foot Health Forum > Main > Ask your questions here

Annoying foot itch

Old 23rd November 2010, 04:35 PM
Unregistered

Exclamation Re: Annoying foot itch

Dear all,

Firstly, thank you to everyone who took the time to share their story in this thread. As we commonly observe in issues of health and disease, the support of the community and our desire to help others frequently become our only aids in the search for relief. In fairness to myself as well as others, I must preface this post with the following disclosures: 1. I too suffer from the symptoms described in this thread. 2. I am a U.S. trained medical doctor. 3. Since this is an informal internet setting, my statements do not represent formal medical advice and should only to be taken as opinions and/or personal advice from one patient, who happens to be a doctor, to another patient.

I have only a few comments to add.

While the itching described by so many of you in this thread is clearly distressing and life-altering, in general, all of you should take note that you are not in any particular danger because of it. In the end, the most dangerous consequences of this condition are the actions which it can lead people to while seeking relief. An excellent example is soaking in water with bleach (or any other harsh chemical). This is a terrible idea and while it may in fact give relief, it is doing so by unreasonable means. In the case of bleach, the skin and nerves of the feet are literally being killed off and/or severely damaged, and because they are no longer functioning properly, they cannot sense itching and thus the itching is gone, but at expense of harming the body. You could also relieve foot itching through amputation of the foot, however that is obviously unreasonable. The point is that you should be careful to not give into temptation and go to extremes prior to exploring all the alternatives and seeking others' advice because you may be doing more harm than good.

In case something was not clear, I will state this: DO NOT USE BLEACH OR ANY OTHER HARSH CHEMICALS ON YOUR SKIN OR THE SKIN OF OTHERS WITHOUT A MEDICAL DOCTOR'S APPROVAL. THIS ADVICE IS ONLY FOR YOUR SAFETY AS WELL AS THE SAFETY OF OTHERS. IF IN DOUBT ABOUT A CHEMICAL OR DRUG, CALL ANY LOCAL HOSPITAL OR DOCTOR'S OFFICE FOR HELP.

In terms of the itching, it is important to understand that sometimes it can be due to psychological problems and it would be irresponsible to ignore this possibility. While generally nobody likes to hear this because there is no easy answer or cure, psychological causes can frequently be treated and sometimes represent other troubles such as depression and anxiety. The term "it is all in the mind" has a negative meaning in our society and should be avoided. The truth is that regardless of the cause being in the mind or not, the sensation experienced, in this case itching, is nonetheless "real" to the person experiencing it. "Real" is a relative term that can only be determined by the individual and is not something that can be determined from anyone else. Specifically in the case of the young girl mentioned earlier, if the itching is a significant problem, then a full evaluation is warranted which would include both physical and psychological exams. Neither of these exams are any less important than the other and in the end it doesn't matter if the itching is found to be due to physical or psychological causes if a working treatment is found. Finding a treatment is the only thing that really matters.

So, I think that the itching could certainly be "all in her head" and frankly I don't think this is an unreasonable statement. If it is "all in her head", then if you treat her "head" then you should resolve the itching, which is great. Of course, this should not replace a simultaneous physical evaluation including physical exam, history taking, blood work, etc. In the end, acknowledging the problem and seeking treatment is all that is important, especially in a child who cannot help themselves. If the parents keep up with the evaluation and are persistent, things will resolve one way or another. Please do not underestimate the ability for psychological disease to cause physical symptoms. Disorders of the mind are horribly under-diagnosed in general.
Old 24th November 2010, 02:06 AM
Unregistered

Default Re: Annoying foot itch

I have read all the reviews and have the same problem with severe itch on one foot that comes and go's. It has been about a year now and it stem's from walking barefoot and picking up a tiny parasite called hookworm. I have not been officially told this by doctor or dermatologist but I did a lot of research. Apparently 700 million people have it but those of us who live or travel to southern climates and walk barefoot tend to get it. Doctors have given me some steroid creams and antibiotics which helped a bit for a while but it comes back every few months. When the itch comes it usually lasts for a few weeks and is
uncontrolable. It get's to the point where I can not sleep at night. I looked at pics of mild hookworm cases and found that I sometimes could see these little red squiggly lines on the bottom of my foot. It is not noticeable most of the time but sometimes it looks like a red piece of thread about 1 inch long is just under the surface of the skin and that is where it is itchy. Apparently most people can not see these lines but I am sure many of you have hookworm and do not realize it.
I am going back to the dermatologist again and not sure what he will do but the topical creams do not help. Do some research on hookworm and if you happen to find a cure of some kind please share as I am at a loss and can not find any specific cures.
Sponsored Links
Old 24th November 2010, 04:46 PM
Unregistered

Lightbulb Re: Annoying foot itch

I considered hookworm and would certainly try the medication if I could convince a doctor to prescribe it for me, but I have seen hookworm before. This is not the same thing. Like all of you, I have tried just about everything to get some relief. (except bleach) Gold Bond, athletes foot creams/sprays, Caladryl, Benedryl, Cortizone 10, Lanacane, antibiotic ointment (why not), etc... etc... Is it a mite? chigger? nerves? allergy? None of it makes sense. Presently, I am avoiding rubber. Two weeks into that trial, I am thinking my flip flops (which I have worn for 50 years) are not the problem. MY itching is accompanied by smallish round bumps which typically have a dark center. They are not the tiny blistery itchy bumps. These will welt up if scratched. If I can pick it with a needle in the center, clear fluid comes out... and THAT is pretty much the end of that bump! Often that is not successful. Seems to be they have to be at a certain stage in order to get relief that way. Oh yeah, and when the bumps 'go away', the area will peel. Anyhow. The only reason I am posting at all is that I ran across something that finally gave me some relief from the intense itch. It is not a cure for the problem, but when the itch is keeping me awake in the middle of the night, or I have succumbed to the urge to scratch and have gotten the point that I just can't stop... I reach for my 100% pure peppermint essential oil. It stops the itch almost immediately and the relief lasts. Apply to the area with a qtip, allow time to soak in, cover with socks so you don't get the oil all over and be sure to keep it out of your eyes! Give it a try, the very worst thing that can happen is, your feet will smell good enough to eat! I'll continue to google this problem from time to time in hopes that eventually, someone will have an answer. Good luck!
Old 24th November 2010, 07:59 PM
Foot Itcher

Thumbs up Re: Annoying foot itch

Lots of people here with problems similar to mine. I am not a doctor. Though I will try and help you as much as possible. Hope some of my techniques will help give some relief even if temporary. Had both feet itch 10 years. Saw 20 doctors and no one could help. Some think dry skin, athletes foot, diabetic, but still no cure. I think I got something from mosquito bites on vacation but no doctor knows how to look for it or cure it. My feet look perfect and doctors find it hard to believe they itch or have any problem.

The key is in the scratching to find some relief. Some tips are to use a round flat comb with many rigid plastic bristles that stick up like a small plastic bed of nails. I also used a square patio block where the edges were of good use when standing and rubbing the foot across it to get at all the itch places. That is not so good if there's an itch on the foot top or if you are traveling (too heavy).

Also, now I have progressed to metal kitchenware for scratchers that work the best. I am always careful not to break the skin or cause damaging scratches in the skin. I simply bought out everything I could find at the store that looked like a good foot scratcher and tried each. Wow, some work great!

I found a woven mat made from Bamboo exported from Taiwan. It works very good! It has about half inch squares or less open weave that act like tiny scratchers. After a month or three months, it will fall apart from aggressive foot scratching. Just be careful to throw it away at that time or some slivers may result. They only cost a dollar or two.

I found some good stuff that's very helpful. Sometimes I use two or more different types of scratchers, like a gentle soft one for more sensitive parts of the foot, followed by tough places like the heel with a more aggressive metal one. I can use finger nails but it's not as satisfying and the skin on my heels are thick.

If you're in a jam with no tools at hand, a common comb will work too. They're easy to carry around.

If I scratch the feet very good to the point of some satisaction, then apply non allergenic creme, I can get a good nights sleep. I also find that walking or skating can massage the foot to cure the itching naturally for a while.

Also helpful is the strong muscle rub but it stinks so bad and gets all over everything and must be washed off in the morning. I tried putting socks over the muscle rub and that helps contain the ointment. It works overnight at home.

Putting on moisturizing creme first and then scratching will heighten the feeling of skin satisfaction during the scratch as it naturally sensitizes the skin. Be more careful when scratching this way as the skin is more sensitive.

Making the feet cold is very helpful to subdue the itch after scratching, but it also prevents circulation which can be harmful over an extended period of applications so use that technique sparingly. If I scratch feet, put on moisturizing lotion, and cool them, I can get a very good night's sleep.

I am so sorry we all must suffer from this terrible and horrible foot itching. I hope my techniques that I discovered in ten years time which help me can help you in some way. I wish you the best and may God be on our side.
Old 20th December 2010, 12:20 PM
Unregistered

Smile Re: Annoying foot itch

Ok so here I am in the middle of the night googling because of my arches too. I bought a new pair of UGG boots. Wore them for a few days and the arch itching was unreal. Switched to Merrell tennis shoes and itching gone. Wore the new UGGS last 2 nights in a row and itching back. My theory is UGGS have terrible support which could cause plantar fasciitis. My husband has it bad, had to get special inserts and everything. Bought Merrell shoes and completely gone. No more inserts or any pain. New Balance shoes cause this. All doctors will tell you to wear them but do not. I have spoke to lots of people who agree about New Balance. Try doing some exercises for plantar fasciitis. It helped me. Hope it helps you. Please don't think I'm crazy because it sounds like it but I'm not. I work in medicine for Wake Forest School of Medicine and know lots of people who work 12 hour shifts on their feet the entire time and have helped me figure this out. Please try the exercises.
Old 16th January 2011, 11:49 PM
Unregistered

What a nice thread! You have a fellow itch-sufferer in Denmark and it is not possible to
google anything about it in Danish. I am glad to find out that I am not alone in the world with my extremely annoying itch that I have no intention to bother my doctor with. I will definately try some of the many advices found here. Sleep tight, Kirsten from Denmark
Old 21st January 2011, 10:29 AM
Unregistered

Unhappy Re: Annoying foot itch

OMG I am so pleased I am not the only one! This itching is driving me crazy! Im sure it is stress related though as I get hives also when I am stressed so I end up with my whole body (feet and all!) ITCHING!!!! ARGH! It only happens when I go to bed. It lasts for hours but once im finally asleep I dont notice it.
Old 27th January 2011, 08:02 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I have had an itch for several years on the bottom of only one foot (on my arch). A podiatrist said it is caused by pressure near the ankle bone from some shoes. It comes and goes, but lately I have not been wearing closed in shoes (mostly sandals) and I still have this itch. I keep wondering if something else is going on. I have to take a back-scratcher to it for almost a full minute to get any relief. It is not fungal, it is not anywhere else on my feet, I always put lotion on my feet after I wash them, there is no pain involved and I don't have diabetes.
I take good care of my feet but cannot figure out this annoying itch. Has anyone ever heard of this??
Thanks. Liz
Liz I have this same problem. It started about a week. It's on my right foot in the arch. My feet are clean also and I take care of them. When I scratch it it feels soooo good. I can't figure it out either. Weezie
Old 28th January 2011, 12:53 PM

I've had the problem in one spot at the edge of my left foot for 20 years, since I had surgery on my spine. I'm sure it is a neural sensation and just feel I have to live with it. The skin over the area is now thickened after so long scratching it with the big toenail of the other foot. I have a similar itch below my left shoulder blade, which I try to ignore because once I start it gets worse.

Reading previous posts, the worm thing seems a possibility for some people and the superglue suggestion sounds bizarre but logical.
Old 2nd February 2011, 05:59 PM
Unregistered

Mine doctor ran blood tests for allergies and the thing that I was the most allergic to was eggs. She said that my foot itch could be caused by an allergy so she took me off eggs. Itch has been gone for 6 months now. Who would of thought. I had the itch for over 10 years. Drove me nuts. No more.
Old 2nd February 2011, 06:36 PM

Quote:
In case something was not clear, I will state this: DO NOT USE BLEACH OR ANY OTHER HARSH CHEMICALS ON YOUR SKIN OR THE SKIN OF OTHERS WITHOUT A MEDICAL DOCTOR'S APPROVAL. THIS ADVICE IS ONLY FOR YOUR SAFETY AS WELL AS THE SAFETY OF OTHERS. IF IN DOUBT ABOUT A CHEMICAL OR DRUG, CALL ANY LOCAL HOSPITAL OR DOCTOR'S OFFICE FOR HELP.
+1, this really bears repeating loudly and often.
Old 5th February 2011, 06:24 PM
Unregistered

Smile Re: treatment that works

I decided to try to look on the web about this because this is exactly what I've had. I strongly believe there is some type of bug afoot (pardon the pun) because that is indeed exactly what it feels like. It's worse when I'm in bed and also when the foot is in warm possibly sweaty socks/shoes where things usually thrive and are active.

My story... I first got this in one foot right after I was traveling and staying at a hotel on business last year. We've all heard of getting stuff lately from hotels. Anyway, went crazy for about a month and then I just so happened to remember putting down in the warmer Srping weather a granular insectiside for outside lawns, etc. (forgot which one) and I got some on the deck by accident and left it there. I walked on it (within maybe some days before it got washed away from rain) with bare feet and I distinctly remember having the itching gone within the day. So a parasite of some sort makes perfect sense which is what I've been thinking all along. Now, I'm not saying to put your feet in different chemicals though and here's why. I actually just got another relapse - again after traveling on business staying in a hotel - and haven't figured out the fix. Yes, I even went a bit crazy in desperation and sprayed the bottom of my foot with Raid but alas, nothing. Creams, ointments, asking doctors, all with no result.

I'm definitely going to try your test because makes sense... maybe if something is indeed below the surface of the skin then a surface treatment - chemical or otherwise - will not work unless there is a lucky opening/crack in the skin to allow it to get in (maybe I got lucky this way before). I'll have to read up on chiggers but depriving a critter of longer term life support makes sense.

Thanks.

Quote:
For over five years I've had the same problem with a foot itch that everyone else on this site is talking about. The itch comes and goes, is on only one foot, and is in the arch area. It was really bad for the last 2 months, to the point of my skin almost being raw from scratching all of the time.

Sometimes it felt like a cluster of chigger bites all in one spot. Well, for chigger bites the home remedy is to put a dab of nail polish remover over the bite because it cuts off oxygen to the chigger under your skin and kills it. I'm not saying that the foot itch is caused by bugs or fungus because I don't know, but I figured that it wouldn't hurt to try a similar method.

So I decided to try super glue on my foot because it would totally cut off oxygen to the skin and would stay on for a while. So I spread a thick layer over the entire area and left it on until if flaked off on it's own (3-4 days). It actually worked. It really did. I'm actually amazed and impressed that it worked so well. Try it yourself, you've got nothing to lose.
Old 7th February 2011, 02:20 AM
Unregistered

Do the palms of your hands itch also? My mother has a wheat allergy reaction where it comes through her hands and feet. Now severe, she has physical signs of irritation, but for years did not. She hasn't ever had a yeast infection... it builds up and never comes out. It seems to come out irritating with age. Now 34 I am starting with similar symptoms. There is NO comfort or solution and sometimes itching it just doesn't go deep enough... like its INSIDE my foot. When I am either to the point of breaking or able to afford it, I will go gluten free a while and hope it works.

Anyone on here found a solution or explanation that was concrete and certain???
Old 8th February 2011, 11:41 AM
Unregistered

Question Re: Annoying foot itch

I was reading a article said hook worms can cause foot itching. but my foot is not red or cracked. what the heck do you do my right foot just started itching most of the time is at night. I have two pets dogs who have not pooped in the house and I don't go outside without shoes. all help needed....
its crazy but so painful....
Old 10th February 2011, 10:35 AM
Unregistered

This is not intended to upset anyone, merely to help. I have had this problem off and on for years. I have rubbed areas of my feet raw and my hands (the meaty part between thumb and forefinger). One of your many submissions must have led me to try a new method. While in bed I instinctively dragged the big toe of my right foot under my left and thought "Oh no, here we go again." At that moment it was a ticklish itch and I knew that, as soon as I rubbed that area again, it would be a full-blown battle keeping me awake all night.

I decided to use a little bit of "mind over matter" and not touch that area again. It was difficult and the concentration probably sent me to sleep, but awoke several hours later with the itch gone. I have used this approach twice since and been successful each time although I haven't tried it yet while up and about. You may think that this is too simple a solution for something that has blighted your lives for years, but please try it. The first rub of the area is not painful; it is the repeated attempts to get under the skin and strangle the blighter that causes and increases the pain!
Old 21st February 2011, 06:05 PM
Unregistered

I have had itching on the bottom of my foot now for about 2 months. It doesn't itch all the time, but it itches off and on all day and night. It's really starting to bug me. The itch is on the bottom center of my foot, about a quarter size area. It does seem to itch more at night.
I'm thrilled to find this site and know I'm not alone. I won't go to a doc at this point, esp. after reading how many docs have no idea what causes it. But it's nice to share
Old 21st February 2011, 06:19 PM
Unregistered

Itching is a mild form of pain. I don't have this particular issue (though I get itches that are "unscratchable" from time to time), but it seems to me that if something is "hurting" (itching) regularly, there is indeed something wrong.

I'm wondering if anyone has ever tried something like interferential treatments? I guess you'd have to have them while the itch is happening, which may not be possible, but just a thought since the treatment is supposed to "interfere" with the signals of the nerves and calm them down.
Old 3rd March 2011, 03:36 PM
popcorn

I have itching on my left foot on the lateral edge of the arch for about a year. I have mentioned it to two doctors and they just look perplexed with no answer to the problem. There are no local physical signs of a problem. I have had sciatica on this same side for years (which comes and goes) and I have come to the conclusion that some type of nerve damaage in my lower back is the probable cause which leaves me with no solution.
Old 8th March 2011, 04:16 PM
luckygirl7

I too have had this itching problem on the bottoms of my feet but also my palms. I believe it is sugar related. Too much sugar is causing yeast or the after affects of anibiotic regimin. So there is a "candida" problem going on. I have been taking yogurt with a 1/4 tablespoon of cinnamon (as I believe I suffer from metabolic syndrome also) as well as a probiotic pill to help re-adjust my internal body after my antibiotic use.
It's a crazy itching from the inside out feeling. Some times are better than others but I'm praying that in time I will come back to normal again.
Old 9th March 2011, 01:29 PM
Unregistered

It's the liver it's inflamed. Look @ any acupuncture line meridian chart. Drink more water eat carrots etc.
Old 10th March 2011, 03:26 AM
Unregistered

I have had this problem off and on for a few years. I was going through an "episode" and happened to notice a bottle of New Skin liquid bandaid while I was scratching. I randomly decided to paint some on the itchy spot to see what would happen and it hasn't itched the rest of the day! I'm wondering if there is a nerve ending exposed or something that the liquid covered? Either way I don't care! It worked!
Old 10th March 2011, 04:15 AM
bonbon

Quote:
I understand i am late on this reply. I hope everyone finds this helpful.

I will say that i have the same problem (still am), but i found out why. For years and years i wore skate shoes. All throughout school i wore skate shoes because they were so comfortable. Flat foot shoes (no i dont have flat feet). Lets say for 10 years i wore skate shoes. Recently my girlfriend saw that i keep the same pair of shoes for about 5 years straight. I dont like to buy new shoes. I wear them until the have holes in them. So finally she made me go out and buy new shoes. I was kinda excited. I bought a pair of nike torchs and nike shox. I guess they are running shoes. Bottom line, the actually fit kinda snug on my feet. With my skate shoes i never tied my shoes and i was able to slip them off and on. Ive been wearing my new shoes for close to 2 months now and ive noticed my feet are very itching. It started at the arch of my foot. It felt kinda like something crawling under my skin. Im only happy when i sit there and scratch it for a few minute. It doesnt hurt, but its annoying to sit there and scratch. This is been going on for a few weeks now (till right now). Finally when i came home today (after comming across this forum) i took off my shoes and noticed reds spots (irritation) around wear my shoe hugs my heel and arch of my foot. It kinda doesnt feel like itching, but lose of blood maybe? Pretty much my shoe hugs my foot in a weird way. For 9 hours straight it rubs those right areas, which is not good for your skin. I suggest to people, try wearing skate shoes. Not SANDALS. Skate shoes. Skate shoes are made flat footed. No arch. Maybe you guys have a weird shape to your foot? Your shoes are hugging it to different? Dunno. I have the same symptoms that everyone else has and i just found out that its my shoes. Ive switched wearing different types of shoes. Try it.
I purchased a pair of Uggs from Sacks Fifth Avenue. I was told to wear them without socks
Every since I have this horrible itch in the arch of my feet. Little red marks, that seem to turn brown, dry itching and driving me crazy. I have tried everything. Showed my doctor and he prescribed a antibiotic cream. Nothing is working. Any suggestions. I think maybe I was allergic to the lining of the boots
Old 12th March 2011, 05:35 AM
footnote

I find it hard to believe that it is psychological. Therefore, I have to ask the foot doctor if he/she is working to report these claims? Does it motivate you to want to learn how to help? I saw a podiatrist who wants to test an electric boot created to resolve or silence a nerve or cluster of nerves that operates in the same manner that referred pain works. Clearly, this is a legitimate issue. I also think the "foot doctor" might want to refrain from trying to discourage the "me too" comments as it smacks of the doctor's lack of compassion, empathy, patience, and sensitivity. Just sayin'
Old 13th March 2011, 03:14 AM
Unregistered

I also have the dreaded "arch itch"....I did try menthol (actually it was Tylenol CREAM) and it works better than anything else I've ever tried. I often use a dog's SHEDDING TOOL to scratch the arch...and it's always on my right foot ONLY...but no matter how much or how hard I scratch, it keeps itching. The Tylenol cream is my best offer for relief. Does it really matter if it's nerve endings, skin irritation, allergy, bug bite, fungus....whatever fixes it is really all I'm concerned with!!! The Tylenol cream may moisturize it, may calm nerve endings, whatever....I suspect BenGay would do the same....all I know is it gives me SOME relief, so I use it!!! Hope this will help someone else with the same issue!!!
Old 13th March 2011, 08:33 AM
Unregistered

I have been dealing with this itch on both feet for several years now. I have used the tape and it seems to be working...I also added drinking more water. I do some stretching foot exercises too. I used to put a fan at the end of the bed and would wear wet socks to bed to keep my feet cool. Before wearing wet socks I would get up several times in the night and run my feet under the tub tap..just to cool them down so the itching would stop. This was only temporarily. My feet look like a mummy but the tape was a blessing!! Thanks to the Docs who posted on here!! Thank you for all of you who gave some great ideas!! Good Luck to everyone!!
Old 21st March 2011, 04:16 AM
Unregistered

Has anyone tried walking in the sand barefoot? It is a natural exfoliant and salt water is a natural healer. I didn't have this problem with my feet, but I had a the PUPPPS Preganancy rash(body intensely itches, only cured by delivery, and medicines were harmful to the pregnancy) when I was pregnant and the ONLY THING that helped was sand and salt water.
Old 26th March 2011, 11:05 PM
unregistered

I have had this for over twenty years.It started out as a small spot on the bottom of one foot,then it went to my toes,eventually it spread to the other foot,now it's bothering the top of my foot near my toes.I have used every kind of cream,soaking in different things.Changing shoes,socks,detergents.You name it i've tried it.Once I got a pill from the dermatologist I assume it was a steroid,and it worked but you can't keep taking that.So I came to this sight to see if anyone else had an answer.It starts up as soon as I take off my shoes and socks at the end of the day,but sometimes it will itch in the morning or the middle of the night,in hot or cold weather/with or without socks.As a result the soles of my feet are like a piece of leather and are very dry but between my toes is not dry or leathery and they usually itch first and worse than the rest of my feet.Like the rest of you I just keep trying different things and scratch the daylights out of it until I get some releif.
Old 31st March 2011, 09:26 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joanne View Post
I am so pleased to find this site. My poor little daughter age 5 has this problem and we just don't know what to do. It started last summer and has come back again this year.
We thought it was a grass allergy as we noticed she was up in the night when she'd been on grass in the day, in and out of paddling pool etc.
But yesterday she was in her crocs in the garden and still woke up at 12.30 with the terrible itch.
I've been to docs twice with this and they look at me like I'm mad. One doc gave her a steroid the other an anti allergy medicine.
Her feet itch on the bootom of her foot at the base of her toes and between her toes. She rubs them madly on the carpet - it can be either foot. She is frantic and crying.
Please someone have an answer for me - we just don't know where to go next.
I have suffered with this itch problem on the sole of my right foot for years and there are two ways that I have got some sort of relief and that is walking in sea shore water where the sand is fairly course. The other is DERMATOLOGICAL (E45) MOISTURISING LOTION. This is great to use at night when going to bed as it really helps to relieve the itch when sleeping. I really find it great.
Old 11th April 2011, 12:02 PM
IndyTasha

Default Annoying foot itch..PLEASE HELP!

I am so happy to have come across this thread...I thought I was crazy! I have had this irritating itch on only my right foot for about 3 years now. It is a deep itch with red circular blisters under the skin that causes the irritated skin to become leathery. I had not had problems with it driving me crazy in about 3 months or so. I honestly believe that the irritation is caused by nerves. I have been stressed out for about 2 weeks now and it has been inflamed and itchy for about a week. I notice it mostly in the evening after I have gotten settled in from the day. I believe that it is indeed caused by nerves like some people get hives...we get itchy feet. It's like once my body realizes that it is time to relax is when it becomes most unbearable and I scratch until it hurts and sometimes cracks. I just wanted to share and was glad to hear I am not the only person living with this problem. I hope a cure can be found soon!
Old 18th April 2011, 08:01 PM
Unregistered

Thumbs up Re: Annoying foot itch

Quote:
I really appreciate the advice of the podiatrist that responded as an unregistered guest. I too, believe that the intense itch I am feeling is a result of nerve signals. I can recreate the itch by pressing on the inside of my foot below the ankle bone and a little toward my heel. It brings on more itching below my toes and the ball of my foot. I have to do something to make it go away. Hot water, cold water, etc. My fear is that one day it won't! I think that would be unbearable. I also notice it more when I don't wear my orthotics, and when I am eating poorly and gaining weight. It doesn't bother me as much when I am slimmer. I guess this is a message to try and stay healthy!

This is totally true for me. I have itching on the bottom of the ball of my feet. When I don't pay attention to it, (it is not red peeling or anything) I don't feel anything. Lanicane works good too by the way. When I press on my foot, it comes back. Just a neuro thing? Stress or somthing? HMMMM>>>> this works though!!