1. Welcome to the Foot Health Forum community where you can ask about foot problems and get help, as well as be up-to-date with the latest foot health information. Only registered members can ask a question, but you do not need to register to respond and give help. Please become part of the community (here) and check out the shop.

Why does it seem like I have 'permanent' odor between my toes?

Discussion in 'Ask your questions here' started by Ms. Magnificent, Aug 6, 2009.

1. Ms. Magnificent

Ms. Magnificent New Member

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    If it matters, the odor is VERY similar to the smell of vinegar; it's not exactly like vinegar, but it's very close. Don't get me wrong, I shower daily, but it seems I have a 'permanent' odor between my toes no matter if I clean them or not, and most people I know do not share my problem. When I bathe, I wash my entire feet, which includes my soles and between my toes, and I dry them thoroughly with a dry towel, and I leave the bathroom with my toes smelling fresh. Yet, like an hour later or sometimes even sooner, depending on if I'm wearing shoes or not, even when I'm not doing much, such as using the computer, I could smell them again, and sometimes, the odor is stronger than normal. The smell can even seep if I'm wearing opened-toed shoes, like flip-flops or strap-on heels, and normally, I feel uncomfortable having my feet close to people. I'm not sure how long the odor has existed as a "permanent" problem, (because I'm sure I experienced the 'normal' forms of foot odor because everyone has) but I 'discovered' the problem many months ago. I was taking a road trip vacation, riding in a camper with my best friends, when we were bored and I told my friend I needed a pedicure, and I wanted her to give me one. She agreed and I washed my feet thoroughly to ensure my feet were fresh for the pedicure as she gathered the kits. After I soaked my feet, she dried them, and just when she was about to rub on the oils, she could smell the odor emitting from between my toes, so she sniffed them and said, 'It stinks between your toes! Didn't you just clean them?' I thought it was odd, so afterwards, I kept washing them and checked to see if the odor would disappear, and it would, but only for a few minutes before returning. Since then, I ignored the problem, but now, as in, today at this very moment, I just stepped out the shower and I've only been online for a few minutes, and between my toes still smell. Normally, the odor is found only between my toes, but if I wear flats or any footwear without socks, like slippers, at the end of the day, the odor 'spreads' to my soles. Even when I wear sneakers with socks, the toe odor is still prevalent and sticks to my socks. Oddly enough, when I wash my (colored) socks, the odor disappears only for like an hour. I wash my white socks with bleach, and bleach tends to destroy the odor. In fact, the odor doesn't disappear from any footwear I attempt to clean. I'm sure this isn't 'normal,' so what could the problem be? :confused: Thanks, and sorry if I typed too much! :cool:

2. FootDoc

FootDoc New Member

Apparently, Ms. Magnificent, at least your feet, or at least their fragrance, is not as magnificent as how you see the rest of yourself.

3. Ms. Magnificent

Ms. Magnificent New Member

Lol, thanks for the laugh.

4. try wearing socks overnight with baking soda on your feet and in between your toes for 2 weeks.

5. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

toes and between the toes smells odd.

6. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Feet are just a great breeding ground for microorganisms. If you are smelling vinegar, or ammonia, I'd say you have a bacterial problem. Fungi are basic, they smell like bad cheese, or rotting food.

Not a foot doctor, more of a mycologist and organic farmer.

And the previous post about baking soda should definitely help, might try hydrogen peroxide also.