foot health forum  
Discususion and Information on Foot Problems

Go Back   Foot Pain & Foot Health Forum > Main > Ask your questions here

Small lump on side of left foot

Old 22nd October 2008, 02:00 PM
Unregistered

Red face Small lump on side of left foot

I have discovered a small lump on the side of my left foot. Location is 1/2 way between by little toe and ankle but more on the side than the top. It's about the size of a pea but VERY hard and can't be moved. It almost feels like bone. It does not hurt I'm just curious about what it might be.

Thanks!
Old 22nd October 2008, 02:40 PM

Default Re: Small lump on side of left foot

DISCLAIMER:
THE FOLLOWING IS OFFERED GRATIS AS GENERAL INFORMATION ONLY, AND, AS SUCH, MAY NOT BE APPLICABLE TO THE SPECIFIC QUESTIONER AND/OR HIS/HER PROBLEM. IT IS CLEARLY NOT BASED ON ACTUAL KNOWLEDGE AND/OR EXAMINATION OF THE QUESTIONER OR HIS/HER MEDICAL HISTORY, AND IT CAN NOT AND SHOULD NOT BE RELIED UPON AS DEFINITIVE MEDICAL OPINION OR ADVICE. ONLY THROUGH HANDS- ON PHYSICAL CONTACT WITH THE ACTUAL PATIENT CAN ACCURATE MEDICAL DIAGNOSIS BE ESTABLISHED AND SPECIFIC ADVICE BE GIVEN. NO DOCTOR/PATIENT RELATIONSHIP IS CREATED OR ESTABLISHED OR MAY BE INFERRED. THE QUESTIONER AND/OR READER IS INSTRUCTED TO CONSULT HIS OR HER OWN DOCTOR BEFORE PROCEEDING WITH ANY SUGGESTIONS CONTAINED HEREIN, AND TO ACT ONLY UPON HIS/HER OWN DOCTOR’S ORDERS AND RECOMMENDATIONS. BY THE READING OF MY POSTING WHICH FOLLOWS, THE READER STIPULATES AND CONFIRMS THAT HE/SHE FULLY UNDERSTANDS THIS DISCLAIMER AND HOLDS HARMLESS THIS WRITER. IF THIS IS NOT FULLY AGREEABLE TO YOU, THE READER, AND/OR YOU HAVE NOT ATTAINED THE AGE OF 18 YEARS, YOU HEREBY ARE ADMONISHED TO READ NO FURTHER.
I cannot assure you that the following is is the case, and I stand by my standard statement that all lumps, bumps and masses should be evaluated by a doctor. But very often questioners ask about such a bump as you seem to describe in that general location, and there IS found a normally occurring anatomical protrusion in that area of the foot, which is the styloid process at the tuborosity near the lateral aspect of the base of the 5th metatarsal. This is more commonly evident in long skinny feet, but all feet have this protrusion, if, in fact, that's what you are talking about. Again, have all lump, bumps and masses checked out by examination and do not rely on guesses.
Pulsev2 (24th December 2011), shilpa (26th January 2009)
Sponsored Links
Old 22nd October 2008, 02:45 PM
Unregistered

This just came about in the last week. I know that it hasn't always been there. I do have skinny feet so it's easy to see lumps/bumps/bones. I had it checked by a GP and she said it could be a calcium deposit?? That didn't sound right to me though so I wanted to see what others might think. She did say that it was too hard to be a cyst, but other than that did not seem too concerned.
Old 22nd October 2008, 03:33 PM

DISCLAIMER:
THE FOLLOWING IS OFFERED GRATIS AS GENERAL INFORMATION ONLY, AND, AS SUCH, MAY NOT BE APPLICABLE TO THE SPECIFIC QUESTIONER AND/OR HIS/HER PROBLEM. IT IS CLEARLY NOT BASED ON ACTUAL KNOWLEDGE AND/OR EXAMINATION OF THE QUESTIONER OR HIS/HER MEDICAL HISTORY, AND IT CAN NOT AND SHOULD NOT BE RELIED UPON AS DEFINITIVE MEDICAL OPINION OR ADVICE. ONLY THROUGH HANDS- ON PHYSICAL CONTACT WITH THE ACTUAL PATIENT CAN ACCURATE MEDICAL DIAGNOSIS BE ESTABLISHED AND SPECIFIC ADVICE BE GIVEN. NO DOCTOR/PATIENT RELATIONSHIP IS CREATED OR ESTABLISHED OR MAY BE INFERRED. THE QUESTIONER AND/OR READER IS INSTRUCTED TO CONSULT HIS OR HER OWN DOCTOR BEFORE PROCEEDING WITH ANY SUGGESTIONS CONTAINED HEREIN, AND TO ACT ONLY UPON HIS/HER OWN DOCTOR’S ORDERS AND RECOMMENDATIONS. BY THE READING OF MY POSTING WHICH FOLLOWS, THE READER STIPULATES AND CONFIRMS THAT HE/SHE FULLY UNDERSTANDS THIS DISCLAIMER AND HOLDS HARMLESS THIS WRITER. IF THIS IS NOT FULLY AGREEABLE TO YOU, THE READER, AND/OR YOU HAVE NOT ATTAINED THE AGE OF 18 YEARS, YOU HEREBY ARE ADMONISHED TO READ NO FURTHER.
In my opinion and experience, the term "calcium deposit" is frequently misused and more often than not does not reflect reality. It's the sort of generic comment that is often defaultly voiced without any substantiative basis in fact. But not having seen your foot, I certainly cannot authoritatively say. Cysts, though, such as ganglionic cysts can often feel exceedingly hard. Is the bump at ALL mobile? Unless it is simply a normal anatomical feature, as I suggested it MIGHT be, or unless it can be definitively identified on x-ray or other radiologic techniques, the ONLY method of determining what it is would be to perform either an incisional or excisional biopsy. Certainly, no one in an Internet forum and no amount of Internet searching can decide the best course of action for you. Forums such as this should NEVER be utilized for definitive decision making, but only for information which might offer some non-binding thoughts and perhaps some greater insight into known conditions. They are NOT replacements for hands-on evaluation and the decisions which should appropriately subsequently flow from them. Most questioner will voice their overt or tacit agreement with this, yet still will continue to seek in such forums the very advice which they agree cannot be so obtained.

Last edited by FootDoc; 22nd October 2008 at 03:41 PM.
Old 22nd October 2008, 03:44 PM
Unregistered

This lump is not at all mobile. When trying to push it around it does cause some discomfort. I have another appointment with another DR. next week to see if I can get any further suggestions or testing done. Thank you for your advise.
Old 25th November 2009, 10:40 AM
newuser

I know excatly what you mean. I have discovered a lump exactly how you described yours on my foot today. I have had one before but it went away and i have one in my leg too. Hopefully tis nothing bad
Old 16th July 2010, 02:07 PM
me2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I have discovered a small lump on the side of my left foot. Location is 1/2 way between by little toe and ankle but more on the side than the top. It's about the size of a pea but VERY hard and can't be moved. It almost feels like bone. It does not hurt I'm just curious about what it might be.

Thanks!
I also have discovered a hard lump at the same location. It does not hurt to walk on it but is painful when palpated or wearing shoes that push on it. I discovered it 2 days ago, hours after I had a doctor exam in which I had to walk on my toes and heels. It was not there before. Any insite as to what it is?
Old 16th July 2010, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by me2 View Post
I also have discovered a hard lump at the same location. It does not hurt to walk on it but is painful when palpated or wearing shoes that push on it. I discovered it 2 days ago, hours after I had a doctor exam in which I had to walk on my toes and heels. It was not there before. Any insite as to what it is?
Let me ask YOU something which might serve as a clue to an answer to your question. If you had just paid a plumber to come to fix a leak in the drain pipe under your sink, he examined it, banged on the pipes and then only hours after he left, the drain was clogged. Would you then post to a plumbing forum asking if anyone had any insight into the problem or would you call the plumber back?
Old 5th January 2011, 11:25 PM
LaRue

I also discovered a lump on my foot. Mine is also half way between my toe and heel its about the size of a penny and it causes discomfort when i walk barefoot. It is hard and doesn't feel like it moves when I felt it. I thought it was the bone at first but when I compared it to my other foot it sticks out a lot more. If anyone has any idea as to what it may be please let me know.
Old 19th February 2011, 11:18 AM
Unregistered

Smile Re: Small lump on side of left foot

I have had this same situation on my left foot for about 1 month. At first I thought it was a small bone that I had broken although had no knowledge of a bump or any other cause. A trip to the "quack" and an xray revealed nothing and I was given a treatment of anti biotics as "it must be an infection" The pills did nothing and that is why I think a lot of us use this site instead going the the GP and wasting tax payers dollars. The pain is slowly decreasing and the surface skin has peeled which is not causing any concern at this stage, so I have just put in the to hard basket.
Old 20th February 2011, 11:16 PM
Unregistered

I have been to the doc three times now for this foot issue and they tell me there is nothing there to worry about, even after feeling this large area, and see no reason to refer me to a podiatrist - of which I disagree: My left foot, halfway between the little toe and the heel, I have a large soft"ish"/tough lump on the side right above the bottom of the foot. It sits under the fleshy part right in front of the ankle and it's more oval/rectangular rather than round. Problem is, it started showing up around 2 months ago and is getting harder and now it's painful. As I lay down at night or anytime, after an hour it starts to burn/throb right in that area and sometimes right up the foot. It is getting harder to walk on it as well in the last couple of days. It is not hard like bone, but not soft like inflammed or callous tissue...I believe it is tendon related as the GP said, but I think there is something more going on since it's not getting any better...any suggestions as to what this may be or what I Should do?
Old 6th March 2011, 07:28 AM
Unregistered

I have the same problem. I've done some research on it, The area seems to match up with a tendon called the Peronius Longus. It actually tucks under the foot/bone on the side of the foot.
Tendons take a long time to heal as they don't have the best circulation. Shoes are the main culprit but extreme usage like carrying something really heavy or twisting, etc, can cause injury without us realizing it. Within 24 hours we turn up with the pain and wonder why.
I, being a nurse, aways thought you ice an inflammation. One of the articles written by a podiatrist said to soak your foot in warm water to increase the circulation which in turn will create healing. Considering the poor blood flow to tendons, it makes some sense. Places in our bodies that have great blood flow, red parts like inside our mouths, heal very quickly. Tendons, ligaments and bones do not.
Old 4th April 2011, 10:14 PM
Keith in California

I just discovered a painful bump at the same location on my left foot. I snow skied Sat. and Sun. I have worn the same ski boots all season and had no problems. It feels like bone. It only hurts on the surface when I touch it. Should I see a Doc, or give it a few weeks to see if it goes away.
Old 9th April 2011, 01:40 AM
strtarrow

OK, I had the same hard lump on the side of my left foot, about midway. It felt like a bone was sticking up and just as hard. After reading this site, I decided to go to the doctor. My doctor is very good at just feeling abnormalities and telling what they are. He said it was a cyst and can either be caused by an injury or pressure. Since I had been to church wearing shoes that do give me a problem, and this foot tends to swell, that is where the pressure came from. I didn't otherwise injure it. I went to the doctor on Thursday, after discovering it Sunday afternoon. By then it was not quite as hard nor almost pointy. (By the way, it didn't move either.) I actually did wonder if I could have broken a bone and it was sticking out. But, it didn't hurt and still doesn't, but has been just a little achy, at times. The doctor said that it will go away after awhile by reabsorbtion. Of course, I shouldn't wear those shoes again.
Some of your problems don't sound like this though and I would go to the doctor to have it checked out.
Old 10th May 2011, 11:01 AM
Unregistered

I also have a small lump on my left foot on the inside right below my ankle. I have had it before it is very hard and did feel like a bone. But the more I played with i I figured out that it was a bit softer then a bone. So I applied pressure Directly on it and it felt as if it dissipated and went away....
Old 15th May 2011, 10:40 PM
Unregistered

Sounds silly, but could it be an insect bite that has got infected? It happened to me.
Cheers Andy.
Old 21st May 2011, 06:19 PM
Unregistered

I have several of these lumps and they are hard and use to be painful but no more.
I have more developing on both feet and when i asked a doctor he said it was just a thing you get when you grow up
Old 21st May 2011, 07:39 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
i asked a doctor he said it was just a thing you get when you grow up
A doctor who doesn't know enough to say, "I don't know" is dangerous.
Old 30th June 2011, 12:55 AM
Unregistered

I also have a small pea sized lump about 2 inches down from between the 4th and 5th toe. Mine has been there for over a year. It hurts when I wear shoes, in bed without it touching anything, or just walking. It is at the end of a surgical site that had to heal using a vacpac. My Pod wanted to ultrasound it last year but I ended up getting an epideral pain pump implanted for RSD. He said, last year, that the lumps were common and they didn't mess with them unless they caused problems. At that point it did cause problems. fast forward to today, When I go out I almost always have to revert back to the mobile wheelchair in stores as it hurts too much to wear shoes and walk. I'll let you know what happens next week, friday when the ultrasound is done. He told me what it was, but I'll be darned if I can remember back that long. lol

Mary
Old 28th July 2011, 07:11 AM
Unregistered

Exclamation Re: Small lump on side of left foot

I have 2 hard lump in the middle of my foot. One of a fishball size, one pea size. But after long hours of wearing boots, it seems to be gone! Why isit so?
Old 17th September 2011, 08:09 PM
Unregistered

Question Re: Small lump on side of left foot

Quote:
Originally Posted by strtarrow View Post
OK, I had the same hard lump on the side of my left foot, about midway. It felt like a bone was sticking up and just as hard. After reading this site, I decided to go to the doctor. My doctor is very good at just feeling abnormalities and telling what they are. He said it was a cyst and can either be caused by an injury or pressure. Since I had been to church wearing shoes that do give me a problem, and this foot tends to swell, that is where the pressure came from. I didn't otherwise injure it. I went to the doctor on Thursday, after discovering it Sunday afternoon. By then it was not quite as hard nor almost pointy. (By the way, it didn't move either.) I actually did wonder if I could have broken a bone and it was sticking out. But, it didn't hurt and still doesn't, but has been just a little achy, at times. The doctor said that it will go away after awhile by reabsorbtion. Of course, I shouldn't wear those shoes again.
Some of your problems don't sound like this though and I would go to the doctor to have it checked out.
Well I am only a teenager but since I was seven years old I have had this kind of
a problem. I have never visited a doctor; my parents believe that it is simply a common bone protrusion. It does hurt and frequently gives mild foot pain. Throughout the years this lump halfway between my pinky toe and bottom of my foot has gotten progressively bigger and no one in my family has this bad of a protrusion. although I have attempted
to massage it or feel it it brings worse foot pain afterwards. I don't understand
how I can get rid of this.
Old 17th October 2011, 02:06 AM
Unregistered

My lump is on the side of my right foot underneath my pinky toe. It is also hard like a bone and pea size. It only hurts when I wear certain shoes that put pressure on it. I believe that the cause of mine is because I wear narrow high heels which causes my pinky to curve inward making that bone stick out more, almost like a bunion but on the other side of the foot. That's the only thing that I can think of why this happened to me, especially since recently I was wearing narrow high heel shoes and were hurting my feet very much at the end of the day. I won't go see a doctor because they all say the same thing. I guess I'll just wait and see what happens. And of course I won't be wearing those types of shoes anymore.
Old 18th November 2011, 03:36 PM
Unregistered

I know after reading all your posts that I need to make myself a doctor appt, but when $ is tight and insurance is a sad joke, I have to put my kids first and eventually I will get there. I, too, have horrible foot pain. I've noticed it a lot within the past 6-8 months. Mainly when I walk barefoot. I thought mine was calluses but these HURT very bad. They are close to the outside edge of my foot, but just underneath about an inch under my little toe. This is on both feet. It hurts so bad I can barely walk. I have little kids that I have to keep up with. I've did the soaks (mini soaks....who has time raising a family), the pumice stone, etc. Any idea what this might be? Do calluses hurt THIS bad? At times I never want to get up to walk. Thanks for any help.
Old 11th December 2011, 06:08 AM
Unregistered

Cool Re: Small lump on side of left foot

I have had the same thing for my whole life except 1.It's slightly smaller than a pea 2.It's closer to my ankle 3.It's on my right foot.I'm 10 yrs old
Old 24th December 2011, 06:16 PM
A welcome new poster

Red face Re: Small lump on side of left foot

Same lump. Left foot, outside. Feels like a pea-sized piece of cartilage or something. No pain whatsoever. Approximately 2.5 inches in front of ankle. I do have spurs and fasciitis but no pain with this bump. Wierd. Guess I'll just keep an eye on it since my insurance sucks so bad.
Old 17th January 2012, 10:11 PM
Unregistered

Question Re: Small lump on side of left foot

i am 11 years old. i have a small lump on the outside of my right foot near the ankle. if i bend my foot one way,it looks and feels normal, except the skin on my lump is dry and red. but if i bend my foot the opposite way, it looks and feels like a second ankle. my parents said it was nothing and it will go away eventually but its been two months. when i first noticed it, i just came back in from playing outside barefoot. it used to hurt, but now it only hurts if i push it a lot.
Old 30th January 2012, 07:43 PM
Unregistered

I have same type issue - small lump on side of left foot around the styloid. The bump on problem side is more pronouned than on the other foot. The pain is a throbbing sting and gets much worse after I walk on it - regardless of the shoe but if barefoot - almost feels like I am walking on a stone. I did go to Patient First and they xrayed and said it was not broken and probably just a sprain. 2 weeks later, still the same - no better . So now I am going to take the xray to my regular primary care Doctor and hopefully get referral to a Foot Doctor.
Old 4th February 2012, 06:50 PM
Unregistered

Unhappy Re: Small lump on side of left foot

I'm just throwing this out there for consideration.

I have a bump that sounds similar to yours. It is above my left ankle. But I am pretty sure I know why it is there.

When I was a teenager, I ran alot. At some point, after running, I developed a huge amount of pain exactly at this spot. I ignored it, but several months later after the pain was gone, this bump was there, exactly where the pain was.

I believe some sort of trauma associated with running that day, caused a small fracture to develop in that area. After the bone healed, it kind or grew this extra bit of bone, and was no longer smooth. Sort of like a scar. You can't notice it by looking. You can notice it by running your finger over it (and comparing to the other ankle).
Old 5th February 2012, 11:17 AM
Unregistered

Exclamation Re: Small lump on side of left foot

For several years, I've suffered the same issues at various times - all on my right side: Sharp pain shooting down right leg during sleep (went away), numbness and swelling in right foot and ankle (went away), small round hard, movable lump in bottom of foot (went away or it moved), and for past few weeks I have extreme pain and tenderness in bottom of right foot, especially while walking. Walking with a limp to avoid putting weight on it. Very difficult when getting out of bed.
Inflammation seems to be a common theme in my family's diseases (Alzheimer's, arthritis, ulcerative colitis, rheumatoid arthritis, psoriasis; along with irritable bowel, colon cancer, and high blood pressure). I have had psoriasis since childhood and arthritis in spine, neck, and knees most of adult life. Shortly after the birth of my son, I had gall stones -gall bladder and colon polyps removed (dad had colon cancer). I'm currently sporting extreme foot pain, an inoperable hiatal hernia; previous back and neck injuries, and vision blurriness (age 47). I've gained approximately 20 lbs due to decrease in activites from the foot pain, but still try to Advil through an hour on the treadmill every day.

General MD dismisses everything as perimenopause and stress. I'm sick of these real symptoms being dismissed, but can't afford to go doctor shopping. Combined with what we inherit at birth, I believe these inflammation-type diseases are related, and I'm certain that the toxic items we have digested and inhaled, largely contribute to cause these conditions and dis--ease. What type of specialist would we have the best luck with? A Podiatrist, a Rheumatoidologist(?), Vein Specialist, Neurologist, Psychiatrist, Corky the Clown - No one seems to know.

Regarding the Doc's comments about giving/taking advice on this forum- With all due respect, it appears most of us have visited several physicians and surgeons, in a desperate search to find an accurate diagnosis and treatment - or at least to find some relief, if a cure is not possible. I doubt anyone sharing their story is so naive, that they will diagnose themselves based on a stranger's post. Having said that, when the so-called EXPERTS have absolutely no clue what is wrong after a battery of costly tests - and months later, you are still in pain with no help in managing the pain.....how could anyone be faulted for joining a free support group and gathering as much information as possible?

I know my body better than anyone else ever will. I respect and welcome the help of a specialist, however my own investigating and instincts have often proved to be more accurate than the findings of a medical exam. An arrogant hernia surgeon I was sent to, informed me that I did not have a hernia. That same week of my "vacation," I was scheduled for a routine colonoscopy (I'd rather be on the beach), and asked for an endoscopy at the same time, since I knew something was not right, and I believed I had a hernia. The Endo photographed a grapefruit-sized hiatal hernia.

Unless you're independently wealthy and can retire from your job to find
a top notch doctor who actually cares - most people can't afford to see ten different people for the same problem, in hopes that one of them might figure out what to do. So, there's no need to insult the intelligence of the online foot pain friends - knowledge is power. People sharing their experiences is beneficial and supportive - and may be the only good advice we find. I trust someone dealing with the same chronic pain,
more than I would the MD, whose top priority is the commish off the pharmaceuticals he prescribes. My eight year old niece gave me the same list of possible diagnoses with her smartphone, as did the pricey Doc..... and still, I have no answers.
Old 6th March 2012, 04:35 AM
dbensten

Smile Re: Small lump on side of left foot

I have the same problem but many more than you guys have talked about. I severly hurt my second toe by the big toe. I'm not sure if it's a brake or the pain of it being connected to one of these knots. I went to my GP and he is not sure either. I now have an appointment with a pediatrist. Maybe I can get to the bottom of it but it is concerning since I seem to have atleast 4 or 5 on each foot and they cause pain all the way up my leg at times. At this time I have a very ugly limp and the pain is bad. If you have concerns, go to the doctor. My little jewels came up in a matter of a few months. Just call me Hop-a -long. Lol