foot health forum  
Discususion and Information on Foot Problems

Go Back   Foot Pain & Foot Health Forum > Main > Ask your questions here

Overlapping pinky toe

Old 11th August 2009, 05:30 PM
Unregistered

Default Overlapping pinky toe

My daughter has overlapping pinky toes on both feet, since birth. Our problem is in finding shoes for her. Most shoes rub against the toe where it sticks up. Can you recommend any resources for us? She is a toddler.
Thank you.
Old 11th August 2009, 08:32 PM

Default Re: Overlapping pinky toe

DISCLAIMER:
THE FOLLOWING IS OFFERED GRATIS AS GENERAL INFORMATION ONLY, AND, AS SUCH, MAY NOT BE APPLICABLE TO THE SPECIFIC QUESTIONER AND/OR HIS/HER PROBLEM. IT IS CLEARLY NOT BASED ON ACTUAL KNOWLEDGE AND/OR EXAMINATION OF THE QUESTIONER OR HIS/HER MEDICAL HISTORY, AND IT CAN NOT AND SHOULD NOT BE RELIED UPON AS DEFINITIVE MEDICAL OPINION OR ADVICE. ONLY THROUGH HANDS-ON PHYSICAL CONTACT WITH THE ACTUAL PATIENT CAN ACCURATE MEDICAL DIAGNOSIS BE ESTABLISHED AND SPECIFIC ADVICE BE GIVEN. NO DOCTOR/PATIENT RELATIONSHIP IS CREATED OR ESTABLISHED OR MAY BE INFERRED. THE QUESTIONER AND/OR READER IS INSTRUCTED TO CONSULT HIS OR HER OWN DOCTOR BEFORE PROCEEDING WITH ANY SUGGESTIONS CONTAINED HEREIN, AND TO ACT ONLY UPON HIS/HER OWN DOCTOR’S ORDERS AND RECOMMENDATIONS. BY THE READING OF MY POSTING WHICH FOLLOWS, THE READER STIPULATES AND CONFIRMS THAT HE/SHE FULLY UNDERSTANDS THIS DISCLAIMER AND HOLDS HARMLESS THIS WRITER. IF THIS IS NOT FULLY AGREEABLE TO YOU, THE READER, AND/OR YOU HAVE NOT ATTAINED THE AGE OF 18 YEARS, YOU HEREBY ARE ADMONISHED TO READ NO FURTHER.
I, of course, have not seen or examined the child, and thus I do not know that a less aggressive treatment will not suffice, but it is entirely possible that some form of surgery will at some time be required. Consult a podiatrist who has a good amount of experience with caring for toddlers.
Old 12th August 2009, 04:22 AM
Unregistered

I, of course, have not seen or examined the child, and thus I do not know that a less aggressive treatment will not suffice, but it is entirely possible that some form of surgery will at some time be required. Consult a podiatrist who has a good amount of experience with caring for toddlers.[/quote]

Thank you for your response. Yes, we were recommended surgery when she was evaluated after birth. But the surgeon recommended waiting until age 6. So my question is how to cope until then - I am searching for shoes that she can wear in the meantime. I wondered if you might know of any special shoe options.
Thank you.
Old 12th August 2009, 01:15 PM

DISCLAIMER:
THE FOLLOWING IS OFFERED GRATIS AS GENERAL INFORMATION ONLY, AND, AS SUCH, MAY NOT BE APPLICABLE TO THE SPECIFIC QUESTIONER AND/OR HIS/HER PROBLEM. IT IS CLEARLY NOT BASED ON ACTUAL KNOWLEDGE AND/OR EXAMINATION OF THE QUESTIONER OR HIS/HER MEDICAL HISTORY, AND IT CAN NOT AND SHOULD NOT BE RELIED UPON AS DEFINITIVE MEDICAL OPINION OR ADVICE. ONLY THROUGH HANDS-ON PHYSICAL CONTACT WITH THE ACTUAL PATIENT CAN ACCURATE MEDICAL DIAGNOSIS BE ESTABLISHED AND SPECIFIC ADVICE BE GIVEN. NO DOCTOR/PATIENT RELATIONSHIP IS CREATED OR ESTABLISHED OR MAY BE INFERRED. THE QUESTIONER AND/OR READER IS INSTRUCTED TO CONSULT HIS OR HER OWN DOCTOR BEFORE PROCEEDING WITH ANY SUGGESTIONS CONTAINED HEREIN, AND TO ACT ONLY UPON HIS/HER OWN DOCTOR’S ORDERS AND RECOMMENDATIONS. BY THE READING OF MY POSTING WHICH FOLLOWS, THE READER STIPULATES AND CONFIRMS THAT HE/SHE FULLY UNDERSTANDS THIS DISCLAIMER AND HOLDS HARMLESS THIS WRITER. IF THIS IS NOT FULLY AGREEABLE TO YOU, THE READER, AND/OR YOU HAVE NOT ATTAINED THE AGE OF 18 YEARS, YOU HEREBY ARE ADMONISHED TO READ NO FURTHER.
I know of no specific shoes made for your purpose, but depending on the degree of deformity or the symptoms it produces shoes shoe selection would be on a trial and error basis and in extreme cases might requiring modification or cutting out. The vast majority of children with overlapping 5th toes can probably fit into standard shoes.
Old 11th January 2012, 09:05 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
My daughter has overlapping pinky toes on both feet, since birth. Our problem is in finding shoes for her. Most shoes rub against the toe where it sticks up. Can you recommend any resources for us? She is a toddler.
Thank you.
I am an adult and have the overlapping pinky toes on both feet. I wore regular baby shoes as a toddler. I find shoes usually shape to the overlapped toe over a short period of time, especially if the shoes are leather.