1. Welcome to the Foot Health Forum community where you can ask about foot problems and get help, as well as be up-to-date with the latest foot health information. Only registered members can ask a question, but you do not need to register to respond and give help. Please become part of the community (here) and check out the shop.

anyone with over pronating feet ??

Discussion in 'Ask your questions here' started by nattie00, Aug 23, 2009.

1. nattie00

nattie00 New Member

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    does anyone have feet that pronate ?i have been told today that i have severe pronating feet i suffer from shins splits and now right knee pain im having prescription othodic insoles being made for me as the over counter ones dont really help an dtheir splitting as my feet are pressing heavily still down on them i was also told i have one leg shorter than other and my feet have caused this does anyone esle have pronating feet?i am a very sprty person annd had to stop because of the pain i get around my knee after exercise

2. nattie00

nattie00 New Member

i forgot to mention that i have flat feet which causes over pronacting

3. tamwoo

tamwoo New Member

I have severe over pronating feet too. Looked into custom orthotics but they were too expensive for me.

What i found works best for me is buying motion control shoes and using superfeet insoles. It felt like a rock under my non-existent arches, but it helped A LOT! Kissed my shin splints goodbye!

Hope this helps

4. nattie00

nattie00 New Member

i dont think that will work longterm and u could end up with long term damage it happened to my granma she had to have knee replacement and metal put in both feet to push them right out

5. tamwoo

tamwoo New Member

Is the future long term damage because one leg is longer than the other?

So would your only option be surgery then? Because what Ive been told by a doc is that the superfeet insoles and motion control shoes basically do the same thing that custom orthotics do.

6. nattie00

nattie00 New Member

no its bcause its severe and she never went to see anyone about it she developed knocked knees and a curved spine bcause of it and was in total agoney all the time so she had operation as u can develop arthritis and carthlidge damage bcause of it i tried custom ones rubbish i got them from boots and they split bcause of my feet pushing down severly so now im having them prescription made and i they will level both legs up to and sort out all my posture this is how they are being speciallly made
    severe pronacter gets knee pain to u never mentioned u have that so i really wouldnt class u as severe

7. Michael24

Michael24 New Member

I have a pretty flat right foot with VERY minor over pronation. My left foot is different story lol. When I was around 11 years old I saw a podiatrist, and we decided it was a good idea to try some custom/corrective inserts. I wore the inserts with good quality shoes for about 2-3 years, and they worked well for my right foot, but not my left foot. So, I saw a podiatrist again (I was around 14 years old at the time) and she recommended surgery for my left foot only, and the point of the surgery was to create an arch in my foot. Well, I ended up needing 2 surgeries that year, because a screw they had put in shifted out of place... Everything about the situation sucked (2nd surgery, healing, rehab, etc.) but it was all worth it! I'm currently 18 years old, and had a 3rd surgery a couple months ago to correct the over pronation in my left foot. They basically moved my heel bone over and secured it into place with some screws and a plate. I'm currently rehabbing and strengthening my foot and leg so I'm not 100%. So, once again everything sucked about the situation lol, but it was totally worth it and I'm glad I went through with everything.

My grandma also developed a severe curve in her spine, and a messed up left knee because she never did or really could do anything about her over pronated feet.

Send my a message or email if you have any questions.

8. nattie00

nattie00 New Member

so are your feet better now?did u suffer with any pain mine didnt start to play till a year ago

9. Michael24

Michael24 New Member

When I was 10 I joined a youth basketball team, and that was when I started to notice the pain. I specifically remember limping out of the gym and into my mother's car after every practice and game. I would get this really sharp pain at the back of my heel, and an aching/cramping feeling along the inside of my foot (like where your arch should be if you have flat feet/over pronation).

The surgeries really exceeded my expectations. I really don't get much pain in my left foot and left knee that's associated with flat feet/over pronation anymore. Although, I am still getting a little pain from the surgery part of it, but that's because I'm still in the process of rehabbing and strengthening my foot and leg.

If those custom orthotic insoles don't help I would suggest talking to a podiatrist about other options in finding relief for your pain.

10. aeg

aeg Guest

I too overpronate, have flat feet and have one leg slightly longer than the other. One foot is actually a half size larger as a result. I have had custom orthotics for almost 20 yrs. Initially, for me it was a lot better, but I think that because my problems are genetic, they are getting worse. Over the years, I've experienced more pain not just in my feet, but also in my knees, lower back, hips and ankles. I'm now thinking about going to see an orthopedic surgeon that specializes in ankle/foot to see what can be done and may undergo surgery if necessary and if it will likely help.

11. nattie00

nattie00 New Member

thanks i will do im hoping their work though as they worked for all my friends are have severe pronating feet i get split shins alot to im a power walker fast and the ones from boots dont help i still get some kind of pain with exercise they are rubbish my feet are stilll pushing them and one of them is splitting looking forward to getting my stroner prescription ones everyone says they take a bit of getting use to and sumtimes it can be more sore to begin with when u start wearing these prescrption ones did u find that to if i can remember?

12. Michael24

Michael24 New Member

I first got some custom inserts when I was 11, and wore them for a few years. Then I got the 2 surgeries on my left foot, and stopped wearing them for a while. When I was 17 I got some custom inserts again, and have been wearing them ever since. They really do help, and you will definitely notice improvements in everything you do that involves your feet. Your feet will definitely ache for a few weeks while they're adjusting to your new inserts.
    I also suggest you get yourself a nice pair of walking or running shoes if you haven't already. I get UA Revenant running shoes from Under Armour, and they are the best shoes I have ever purchased! They are really expensive (100$ USA) but if you can afford them then I would suggest checking them out.

13. nattie00

nattie00 New Member

thanks im going to buy my trainers when i buy the insoles i will get some walking ones i think ur in the us?im in england so i will go to my local sports shops

14. Michael24

Michael24 New Member

Good luck with everything! I hope you find relief for your pain, and if you have any more questions, just ask. :)

Last edited: Aug 26, 2009
  15. nattie00

nattie00 New Member

thank u and thanks for taking time to answer my questions

16. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I have over pronated AND over arched feet. I don't hear of many people having over arched feet aswell. I am 7 degrees pronated. Ive been seeing a podiatrist and he told me to get running shoes for over pronation. Ive been wearing them for 4 months and although they help a little bit, i still can't walk very far without getting awful pain in my feet and knees. I have insoles made especially for my feet, they don't help much either. I also have to electicute my foot every day to get my big toe muscle to work so that it can move outwards to support my foot more. So far this has not worked.
    I am getting really down about it all as I can't walk without being in pain. My podiatrist said that no one would let me have an operation to fix my feet as it is far too risky, yet if I continue to get worse, I may have to have knee replacements, which is soo scary! Has any one had this operation?? how long does it take to heal? do they do both at the same time?
    HELP!
    x

17. FootDoc

FootDoc New Member

Without a personal evaluation, how could anyone know what surgery, if any, is appropriate for your situation and what about you would make it "far too risky?"

18. redfrogs

redfrogs New Member

I don't know if anyone can appreciate how debilitating this ends up being. There are weekends when I can hardly walk. Between my Podiatrist and Physiotherapist I'm not getting much joy. Is sugery really an option? I've had 5 podiatrists over the last 20 years and none of them have ever mentioned this as an option.

19. Daibai

Daibai New Member

I have various issues with my feet, including pronation and heel pain (spurs). I have spent a fortune on sneakers, shoes and supports, nothing worked for long. For me, the solution has been patience and a good, caring podiatrist who takes the time. My podiatrist used a wrapping and taping technique sort of a temporary orthotic. I am amazed but I have a healthy looking arch now! After about 6 weeks of treatment. It is an expensive process but i need healthy feet! I can feel the orthotics both supporting my feet and exercising the muscles in a more balanced way. BTW many sneakers are not necessarily good for the feet. The nylon mesh is too soft and doesn't support the foot properly. For me a leather lace up sneaker with high sides is key - the puma turin is working for me.

Good luck!

20. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I have over-pronating feet with my right foot being particularly bad. I only started having any real problems last year when I took up running. I saw a podiatrist early this year and got some custom inserts for my running shoes (which already have built in support too) and that seems to have fixed the problem. I use superfeet insoles in my hiking boots too. Other than that I try to choose everyday shoes that have a bit of support in them but I don't need inserts.
    The podiatrist I saw said she couldn't believe that I'd got to 40 years old without any problems. She also couldn't believe that I had no problems with my knees - I only get pain in my ankles and hips and only when I exercise.
    The point is that it isn't such a big deal. Everyone is different. Try whatever inserts the podiatrist recommends. It doesn't have to stop you doing sports - I'm still running. Try it and see if it works.
    The other thing to remember is that your body has been dealing with your over-pronation and shorter leg all your life. Your muscles and ligaments are all set up to work things as you are. Unless your problems are really severe, surgery could cause more problems than it fixes.