1. Welcome to the Foot Health Forum community where you can ask about foot problems and get help, as well as be up-to-date with the latest foot health information. Only registered members can ask a question, but you do not need to register to respond and give help. Please become part of the community (here) and check out the shop.

have i broken something?

Discussion in 'Ask your questions here' started by hello101, Sep 2, 2009.

1. hello101

hello101 New Member

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    Hi,

about 6 weeks ago, i was walking when I stopped abruptly. I immediately got a searing pain just below my 3rd toe on my right foot. The pain was intense and stopped me from walking. Due to my job I had to be on my feet all day long but found that the pain was worse if i bent my foot. When i got home and looked at my foot, I was surprised to find a dark bruise extending from the base of my 1st toe to the base of the 5th toe, with the middle 3 toes bruised and swollen.
    At first I thought maybe I had burst a blood vessel and carried on doing my normal activities using very strong painkillers and still being in pain.
    it has now been 6 weeks and although the bruising has gone, it is still really painful for me to put pressure and walk on the foot. the pain is based aound the sole of my foot just underneath the toes and also the 3 toes are also sore to bend and put pressure on.

Any thoughts please?

2. FootDoc

FootDoc New Member

Yeah . I have thoughts. How long must it be "really painful for [you] to put pressure and walk on the foot" before you think it's time to see a doctor for MORE than just "thoughts?"

3. moorerunner

moorerunner New Member

I have a problem I was picking at my big toe, because of an ingrown toe nail. I know I should not do that. I has been 24 hours and my toe is swallon like a small ballon. If I barely touch it, it feels like it is going to explored. Should I go to the doctor now or wait a few day? Thanks

4. FootDoc

FootDoc New Member

DISCLAIMER:
    THE FOLLOWING IS OFFERED GRATIS AS GENERAL INFORMATION ONLY, AND, AS SUCH, MAY NOT BE APPLICABLE TO THE SPECIFIC QUESTIONER AND/OR HIS/HER PROBLEM. IT IS CLEARLY NOT BASED ON ACTUAL KNOWLEDGE AND/OR EXAMINATION OF THE QUESTIONER OR HIS/HER MEDICAL HISTORY, AND IT CAN NOT AND SHOULD NOT BE RELIED UPON AS DEFINITIVE MEDICAL OPINION OR ADVICE. ONLY THROUGH HANDS-ON PHYSICAL CONTACT WITH THE ACTUAL PATIENT CAN ACCURATE MEDICAL DIAGNOSIS BE ESTABLISHED AND SPECIFIC ADVICE BE GIVEN. NO DOCTOR/PATIENT RELATIONSHIP IS CREATED OR ESTABLISHED OR MAY BE INFERRED. THE QUESTIONER AND/OR READER IS INSTRUCTED TO CONSULT HIS OR HER OWN DOCTOR BEFORE PROCEEDING WITH ANY SUGGESTIONS CONTAINED HEREIN, AND TO ACT ONLY UPON HIS/HER OWN DOCTOR’S ORDERS AND RECOMMENDATIONS. BY THE READING OF MY POSTING WHICH FOLLOWS, THE READER STIPULATES AND CONFIRMS THAT HE/SHE FULLY UNDERSTANDS THIS DISCLAIMER AND HOLDS HARMLESS THIS WRITER. IF THIS IS NOT FULLY AGREEABLE TO YOU, THE READER, AND/OR YOU HAVE NOT ATTAINED THE AGE OF 18 YEARS, YOU HEREBY ARE ADMONISHED TO READ NO FURTHER.
    Its very likely infected, and if so you need care immediately. See a podiatrist.

5. moorerunner

moorerunner New Member

Re: Swallon Big Toe

I went to the emergency room and they gave me a shoot and put me on amoxicllin for the infection and hydrocodone for the pain. They took a culture of the big toe. They did not do anything else, like clean it or anything. They to me to go see a foot doctor. the appointment is not for a few days. What could I do as far as soaking it etc.

Thanks

6. FootDoc

FootDoc New Member

DISCLAIMER:
    THE FOLLOWING IS OFFERED GRATIS AS GENERAL INFORMATION ONLY, AND, AS SUCH, MAY NOT BE APPLICABLE TO THE SPECIFIC QUESTIONER AND/OR HIS/HER PROBLEM. IT IS CLEARLY NOT BASED ON ACTUAL KNOWLEDGE AND/OR EXAMINATION OF THE QUESTIONER OR HIS/HER MEDICAL HISTORY, AND IT CAN NOT AND SHOULD NOT BE RELIED UPON AS DEFINITIVE MEDICAL OPINION OR ADVICE. ONLY THROUGH HANDS-ON PHYSICAL CONTACT WITH THE ACTUAL PATIENT CAN ACCURATE MEDICAL DIAGNOSIS BE ESTABLISHED AND SPECIFIC ADVICE BE GIVEN. NO DOCTOR/PATIENT RELATIONSHIP IS CREATED OR ESTABLISHED OR MAY BE INFERRED. THE QUESTIONER AND/OR READER IS INSTRUCTED TO CONSULT HIS OR HER OWN DOCTOR BEFORE PROCEEDING WITH ANY SUGGESTIONS CONTAINED HEREIN, AND TO ACT ONLY UPON HIS/HER OWN DOCTOR’S ORDERS AND RECOMMENDATIONS. BY THE READING OF MY POSTING WHICH FOLLOWS, THE READER STIPULATES AND CONFIRMS THAT HE/SHE FULLY UNDERSTANDS THIS DISCLAIMER AND HOLDS HARMLESS THIS WRITER. IF THIS IS NOT FULLY AGREEABLE TO YOU, THE READER, AND/OR YOU HAVE NOT ATTAINED THE AGE OF 18 YEARS, YOU HEREBY ARE ADMONISHED TO READ NO FURTHER.
    Why didn't you see a podiatrist? I cannot say for sure what your diagnosis is, but if my suspicions are correct and you have an infected ingrown nail, the appropriate procedure would have been to temporarily excise the offending nail segment and institute drainage. Soaks and dressings with or without topical and/or systemic antibiotics are then usually recommended. When possible, incision and drainage is most always the preferred method of treating a superficial infection. The use of antibiotics alone is generally not the best way to go. Unless you have a rapid resolution of the problem, I would still recommend that you see a podiatrist, both for treatment of the infection and then correction of the problem which caused it after the infection is resolved.

7. moorerunner

moorerunner New Member

I have an appointment with a podiatrist next week. At the moment my big toe is draining from the side of the toe nail. I have been using perxoide, epsom salt soak and Iodine at the moment. Should that be could until next week? Thank you for all you help

8. FootDoc

FootDoc New Member

DISCLAIMER:
    If it is indeed an infection, the basis treatment principle is to institute and maintain drainage. If it is already draining freely, soaks are the basic treatment. It doesn't really matter what is in the soak other than water and your toe. Medicinal strength hydrogen peroxide may be useful in unclogging sticky drainage blockage before soaking. If one is going to use idodine, use generic povidone-idodine, or Betadine if you want to spend the money for the trade name, but NOT tincture of iodine. If one is going to use a topical antibiotic, a cream rather than an ointment formulation is preferred due to its aqueous miscibility which will make it less likely to clog the drainage. But if the infection is not quick to resolve, waiting a week to see a podiatrist can be a disaster. I know of no podiatrist who won't see a patient right away for emergency treatment of an ongoing infection or refer you to another who will.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2009