1. Welcome to the Foot Health Forum community where you can ask about foot problems and get help, as well as be up-to-date with the latest foot health information. Only registered members can ask a question, but you do not need to register to respond and give help. Please become part of the community (here) and check out the shop.

What is your favorite shoes?

Discussion in 'Ask your questions here' started by genie1985, Sep 4, 2009.

1. genie1985

genie1985 New Member

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    What is your favorite shoes?
    Can you show us the picture of the shoes that you like?:)

2. FootDoc

FootDoc New Member

Shoes are articles of clothing, the function of which is bodily protection from the environment. It is true that certain styles of shoes are more appropriate for certain foot pathologies, and certain types of shoes are more applicable for the use of such as orthotics and other prostheses, but shoes are not themselves therapeutic. Of course, a shoe should breath well and be properly fitted to the foot, and some foot shapes and deformities require special fitting and sometimes custom made shoes. A secondary and far more frivolous function of shoes is fashion and style, which is possibly what you are asking about with your question, but that is not in the purview of this forum. So, I for one, do not have a favorite shoe, nor do I consider shoes, other than as mentioned above, pertinent to podiatric care.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2009
  3. genie1985

genie1985 New Member

Yes,maybe you are right,but ,i think Most people will have their own favorite shoes, perhaps only in style!

4. FootDoc

FootDoc New Member

Then I would suggest that you ask your question in a forum dedicated to style. This one is for medical care and discussions of foot problems.

5. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I thought that arch support, shoe construction and pitch of heel hight was important, especially for someone dealing with foot problems. I have been spending a fair amount of money on Brooks ariel and shoes by PW Minor and Drew.

6. FootDoc

FootDoc New Member

DISCLAIMER:
    THE FOLLOWING IS OFFERED GRATIS AS GENERAL INFORMATION ONLY, AND, AS SUCH, MAY NOT BE APPLICABLE TO THE SPECIFIC QUESTIONER AND/OR HIS/HER PROBLEM. IT IS CLEARLY NOT BASED ON ACTUAL KNOWLEDGE AND/OR EXAMINATION OF THE QUESTIONER OR HIS/HER MEDICAL HISTORY, AND IT CAN NOT AND SHOULD NOT BE RELIED UPON AS DEFINITIVE MEDICAL OPINION OR ADVICE. ONLY THROUGH HANDS-ON PHYSICAL CONTACT WITH THE ACTUAL PATIENT CAN ACCURATE MEDICAL DIAGNOSIS BE ESTABLISHED AND SPECIFIC ADVICE BE GIVEN. NO DOCTOR/PATIENT RELATIONSHIP IS CREATED OR ESTABLISHED OR MAY BE INFERRED. THE QUESTIONER AND/OR READER IS INSTRUCTED TO CONSULT HIS OR HER OWN DOCTOR BEFORE PROCEEDING WITH ANY SUGGESTIONS CONTAINED HEREIN, AND TO ACT ONLY UPON HIS/HER OWN DOCTOR’S ORDERS AND RECOMMENDATIONS. BY THE READING OF MY POSTING WHICH FOLLOWS, THE READER STIPULATES AND CONFIRMS THAT HE/SHE FULLY UNDERSTANDS THIS DISCLAIMER AND HOLDS HARMLESS THIS WRITER. IF THIS IS NOT FULLY AGREEABLE TO YOU, THE READER, AND/OR YOU HAVE NOT ATTAINED THE AGE OF 18 YEARS, YOU HEREBY ARE ADMONISHED TO READ NO FURTHER.
    There was no suggest by the original poster that she had any sort of foot problem. Except in feet which have arch problems, support of the arch is unnecessary. If it were, everyone would be born with some sort of arch support. There are cultures in which shoes are not worn, and it is doubtful whether they have any higher degree of foot problems other than those associated with the lack of physical protection. Shoe construction may be a factor in their longevity of use, but it is not a factor in foot health, save for the fact that very sturdy shoes for children may be detrimental due to their inherent inflexibility which might retard functional foot development in a small child. A small degree of heel height is generally best for most people. Totally flat shoes and of course, high heels can be detrimental.

7. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Thank you for your response. I had been dealing with treatment resistant plantar fascositis for 3 years. I finally achieved good pain relief with cryo. I recently had a modified kidner afte r not responding to conservative treatment for posterior tibial tendonitis/accesory navicular. I recently graduated from nwb cast to a boot. The doctor plans to either modify my current orthotics or make me new orthotics once I recover from surgery. Do you feel that a well fitting shoe that's deep enough to accomodate the orthotic would be adequate?

8. FootDoc

FootDoc New Member

As opposed to what??

9. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

As opposed to spending a lot of money on shoes with steel shank, arch support (drew pw minor aravon etc). Would a more moderately priced brand that fits well and accomodates my orthotics suffice?

10. FootDoc

FootDoc New Member

DISCLAIMER:
    THE FOLLOWING IS OFFERED GRATIS AS GENERAL INFORMATION ONLY, AND, AS SUCH, MAY NOT BE APPLICABLE TO THE SPECIFIC QUESTIONER AND/OR HIS/HER PROBLEM. IT IS CLEARLY NOT BASED ON ACTUAL KNOWLEDGE AND/OR EXAMINATION OF THE QUESTIONER OR HIS/HER MEDICAL HISTORY, AND IT CAN NOT AND SHOULD NOT BE RELIED UPON AS DEFINITIVE MEDICAL OPINION OR ADVICE. ONLY THROUGH HANDS- ON PHYSICAL CONTACT WITH THE ACTUAL PATIENT CAN ACCURATE MEDICAL DIAGNOSIS BE ESTABLISHED AND SPECIFIC ADVICE BE GIVEN. NO DOCTOR/PATIENT RELATIONSHIP IS CREATED OR ESTABLISHED OR MAY BE INFERRED. THE QUESTIONER AND/OR READER IS INSTRUCTED TO CONSULT HIS OR HER OWN DOCTOR BEFORE PROCEEDING WITH ANY SUGGESTIONS CONTAINED HEREIN, AND TO ACT ONLY UPON HIS/HER OWN DOCTOR’S ORDERS AND RECOMMENDATIONS. BY THE READING OF MY POSTING WHICH FOLLOWS, THE READER STIPULATES AND CONFIRMS THAT HE/SHE FULLY UNDERSTANDS THIS DISCLAIMER AND HOLDS HARMLESS THIS WRITER. IF THIS IS NOT FULLY AGREEABLE TO YOU, THE READER, AND/OR YOU HAVE NOT ATTAINED THE AGE OF 18 YEARS, YOU HEREBY ARE ADMONISHED TO READ NO FURTHER.
    In general, shoes do not function as proper a arch support in a patient who actually requires one whether they claim to have one or not. If in fact you actually need an orthotic more than your doctor needs the money for selling you one, any oxford style shoe which accomodates the orthotic and allows it to function properly should not only suffice but is generally preferred.

11. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Thank you for your response. I know that you have not seen my feet and can not make any specific recomendations. If you saw a patient with my history (long standing plantar fasciitis and then posterior tibital tendonitis/accessory navicular despite wearing custom orthotics and supportive shoes, do you normally prescribe orthotics after tears in the tendon are repaired and accessory navicular removed? Cryo surgery did offer good pain relief for the plantar fasciitis despite the fascia continuing to be 7.5mm. I have found that I was very comfortable wearing Brooks Ariel sneakers , Aravon Kira sandals without any orthotics and P.W. Minor Central Park with orthotics.

12. FootDoc

FootDoc New Member

I prescribe orthotics ONLY on the basis of a diagnosed biomechanical problem. I do not use them empirically. In my opinion, too many podiatrists unnecessarily prescribe orthotics because:
    1. They are an easy and low risk way to make money
    2. They are one of the few treatments in podiatric medicine which are routinely accepted and expected by patients making them a VERY easy sell.

I would recommend that all patients to whom orthotics are recommended demand from their doctor a lay-understandable explanation as to the specific biomechanical problem which is to be treated and the manner in which the orthotic will address that problem. Bet you'll get a lot of hemming and hawing most of the time.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2009
  13. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Do you prescribe them for pronation - flexible flat foot?

14. FootDoc

FootDoc New Member

You no doubt mean EXCESSIVE pronation. Pronation itself at the subtalar joint is an absolutely necessity for normal gait. It functions during parts of the gait cycle to unlock the tarso-metatarsal joint which allows the forefoot to adapt to terrain, and which is then followed by a swing back to supination to stiffen the foot for the push-off phase of gait. But when the subtalar joint pronates excessively, the foot is never able to achieve the required amount of pronation within the time allotment in the gait cycle, and thus the skeletal structure of the foot is insufficiently stiff at push-off causing pathology to then occur in various areas of the foot and lower extremity. The major use of orthotics is to limit the subtalar joint pronation to a normal range, thus allowing the joint to swing back into the required supination prior to push-off. I DO prescribe orthotics for this condition which is one of the major cause of flat foot.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2009
  15. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Before having the modified kidner, the doctor did a hyprocure implant. He felt that by using the implant to reduce the amount of pronation and restoring a normal arch would relieve stress on the posterior tibial tendon. The implant backed out a bit and pain increased so the implant was removed and kidner performed. Althought the mri had shown a minimal amount of microtearing, when the doctor went in, he found some fairly large tearing the posterior tibial tendon and that one area was shredded. He said that after seeing the extent of the damage that explaines why I did not respond to less invasive proceedures like imobilization, a brace and pt. After seeing the tendon he said that the hyprocure alone would not have been suficient. The doctor said that I would need orthotics after surgery. He will see whether my old ones can be modified or if I need new ones. Even though my other foot is not as bad, I still have the accessory navicular and some increased pronation. I figure that with my knees (patello femoral syndrome/grade 3 -4 arthritis) and ruptured (15 years ago) L-5 disc, orthotics to improve my pronation could only help.

From your experience is it best to get custom orthotics from a podiatrist or have a pedorthist who makes the orthotics on site?

16. FootDoc

FootDoc New Member

DISCLAIMER:
    THE FOLLOWING IS OFFERED GRATIS AS GENERAL INFORMATION ONLY, AND, AS SUCH, MAY NOT BE APPLICABLE TO THE SPECIFIC QUESTIONER AND/OR HIS/HER PROBLEM. IT IS CLEARLY NOT BASED ON ACTUAL KNOWLEDGE AND/OR EXAMINATION OF THE QUESTIONER OR HIS/HER MEDICAL HISTORY, AND IT CAN NOT AND SHOULD NOT BE RELIED UPON AS DEFINITIVE MEDICAL OPINION OR ADVICE. ONLY THROUGH HANDS-ON PHYSICAL CONTACT WITH THE ACTUAL PATIENT CAN ACCURATE MEDICAL DIAGNOSIS BE ESTABLISHED AND SPECIFIC ADVICE BE GIVEN. NO DOCTOR/PATIENT RELATIONSHIP IS CREATED OR ESTABLISHED OR MAY BE INFERRED. THE QUESTIONER AND/OR READER IS INSTRUCTED TO CONSULT HIS OR HER OWN DOCTOR BEFORE PROCEEDING WITH ANY SUGGESTIONS CONTAINED HEREIN, AND TO ACT ONLY UPON HIS/HER OWN DOCTOR’S ORDERS AND RECOMMENDATIONS. BY THE READING OF MY POSTING WHICH FOLLOWS, THE READER STIPULATES AND CONFIRMS THAT HE/SHE FULLY UNDERSTANDS THIS DISCLAIMER AND HOLDS HARMLESS THIS WRITER. IF THIS IS NOT FULLY AGREEABLE TO YOU, THE READER, AND/OR YOU HAVE NOT ATTAINED THE AGE OF 18 YEARS, YOU HEREBY ARE ADMONISHED TO READ NO FURTHER.
    There may be an advantage to having the doctor would is managing the case being directly involved with the orthotic prescription. As a parallel example, though a radiologist may be more experienced in the general reading of x-rays, often the podiatrist or orthopedist who has direct clinical contact with a case can provide a better reading related to the particulars of that case. But as with all medical care, its efficacy has far more to do with the SKILL of the practitioner than the TYPE of practitioner.

17. ingridseynhaeve

ingridseynhaeve New Member

I always prefer The GTS 9 as running shoe which perfect fit to me. It is the best stability running shoe for neutral runners and for runners. The best shoe brands for all day walking is 'Nike'. They don't break down as much and they provide better support.

18. genie1985

genie1985 New Member

A pair of good shoes will be good for our foot,and medical care isn't the best way to protect our foot!

19. FootDoc

FootDoc New Member

The original questioner in this thread is just trying to get you to go to a shoe selling website. His/her questions are intended only for that purpose and not for an answer. And instead of "Genie" dollars to donuts it some old fat bald guy.

20. genie1985

genie1985 New Member

You said so many here,do not tired?:)