1. Welcome to the Foot Health Forum community where you can ask about foot problems and get help, as well as be up-to-date with the latest foot health information. Only registered members can ask a question, but you do not need to register to respond and give help. Please become part of the community (here) and check out the shop.

Peroneal tendon trouble

Discussion in 'Ask your questions here' started by mom2four717, Sep 22, 2009.

1. mom2four717

mom2four717 New Member

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    I have peroneal tendon trouble. I am a 42 year old female and noticed swelling approx 9 weeks ago. Some minor discomfort behind ankle bone. There was not an "event" which caused this.

I did not see a doctor for the first 4 weeks, it was never very painful.When I saw the ankle doc he said peroneal tendonitis and gave me a brace to wear.He also instructed me to rest as much as possible and take an anti inflammatory. I returned to see the doc about a week ago and he is no longer sure about tendonitis as he can not make the tendons hurt by pushing on them.
    The swelling continues now both in front and in back of the ankle bone. Sharp needle type pain going down stairs. Ache type pain in outer ankle area also front lower shin. I have a cam boot and instructions to stay off it as much as possible.
    xrays show no bone breaks
    MRI will be done if the 3 weeks of immobilization does not repair the problem.

The doctor mentioned osteochrondal defect of the talus and rheumatoid arthritis.

Is it possible it could just be simple tendonitis without tendon pain when pushing on it. It has never been very painful in anyway.

Please share your thoughts,

Kate
    USA

2. FootDoc

FootDoc New Member

DISCLAIMER:
    THE FOLLOWING IS OFFERED GRATIS AS GENERAL INFORMATION ONLY, AND, AS SUCH, MAY NOT BE APPLICABLE TO THE SPECIFIC QUESTIONER AND/OR HIS/HER PROBLEM. IT IS CLEARLY NOT BASED ON ACTUAL KNOWLEDGE AND/OR EXAMINATION OF THE QUESTIONER OR HIS/HER MEDICAL HISTORY, AND IT CAN NOT AND SHOULD NOT BE RELIED UPON AS DEFINITIVE MEDICAL OPINION OR ADVICE. ONLY THROUGH HANDS-ON PHYSICAL CONTACT WITH THE ACTUAL PATIENT CAN ACCURATE MEDICAL DIAGNOSIS BE ESTABLISHED AND SPECIFIC ADVICE BE GIVEN. NO DOCTOR/PATIENT RELATIONSHIP IS CREATED OR ESTABLISHED OR MAY BE INFERRED. THE QUESTIONER AND/OR READER IS INSTRUCTED TO CONSULT HIS OR HER OWN DOCTOR BEFORE PROCEEDING WITH ANY SUGGESTIONS CONTAINED HEREIN, AND TO ACT ONLY UPON HIS/HER OWN DOCTOR’S ORDERS AND RECOMMENDATIONS. BY THE READING OF MY POSTING WHICH FOLLOWS, THE READER STIPULATES AND CONFIRMS THAT HE/SHE FULLY UNDERSTANDS THIS DISCLAIMER AND HOLDS HARMLESS THIS WRITER. IF THIS IS NOT FULLY AGREEABLE TO YOU, THE READER, AND/OR YOU HAVE NOT ATTAINED THE AGE OF 18 YEARS, YOU HEREBY ARE ADMONISHED TO READ NO FURTHER.
    Tendonitis is a clinical diagnosis and you have omitted any description of how your doctor arrived at that diagnosis in the first place and how he determined which tendon it might be. So it is a moot point to discuss whether you have or don't have tendonitis just because some tendon is pushed on and you had no pain. Osteochondral defects of the talus often do not show well on x-rays, but should be able to be detected with an MRI. Rheumatoid arthritis is not a localized condition and you would probably have other signs and symptoms.