foot health forum  
Discususion and Information on Foot Problems

Go Back   Foot Pain & Foot Health Forum > Main > Ask your questions here

Broken 5th Metatarsal - Jones, & crack into the joint

Old 23rd October 2009, 11:11 AM
SeattleGUY

Smile Broken 5th Metatarsal - Jones, & crack into the joint

This is a question for Doc, or ANYONE who has experience with this:
I broke my left 5th metatarsal, diagnosed by my doctor as a Jones, with a crack leading into the joint.

I have read a lot and know that blood flow into this area may be minimal and slow down healing. What ways are there to increase blood flow into this area? Vit E as blood thinner? Niacin as circulation stimulant? Pharm blood thinners such as cumadin? Others?

Also - I am in a cast for 4 weeks then a 2nd Xray is taken. Just generally speaking, how does one begin bearing weight on a bad foot? I know this is case specific, but I am looking for rules of thumb and general ideas just to enhance my feel of what I know already.

What supplements can one take to speed up healing, and can this reduce the number of days it takes to get back walking? Cal/Mag? others?

Any other ideas or suggestions to heal this bone faster and/or better? I am open to alternative ideas as well as standard treatments. Thanks, all!!
Old 23rd October 2009, 12:05 PM
Unregistered

Red face Re: Broken 5th Metatarsal - Jones, & crack into the joint

i broke mine about two months ago, and i was recently put Back in a cast because i was rushing the healing. i asked my doctor how to speed up healing so i wouldnt need surgery and he told me to STAY OFF OF IT as much as possible... to be totally immobile. which sounds impossible, but worth it. you dont want your bone to get Worse while in that cast (it Can happen- i achieved this somehow) so as long as you dont walk on it too soon, youll be fine.

as for retraining yourself to walk properly, im no expert so i could be wrong... but (because i Had a boot for a few weeks) i just used my crutches for a few days in case my foot flaked out on me, and started walking..
at First it hurt- like a shocking feeling, but then i got some strength and was fine.... although i think my foot will have to be retrained to Bend again! cuz it was real stiff
haha but what do i know? i was just recasted for being an idiot about this bone!!

okay, so i have pretty bad advice.. but the first part was True. you really do have to keep off of it until you get the okay from the doctor dude
Sponsored Links