foot health forum  
Discususion and Information on Foot Problems

Go Back   Foot Pain & Foot Health Forum > Main > Ask your questions here

Pain after toe fusion!!

Old 21st December 2008, 11:43 PM
Unregistered

Unhappy Pain after toe fusion!!

Hi. I recently had my toes fused again for the second time as first time round didn't go too well. I have had both feet done and as this is my second time I knew (or thought I knew) what to expect. I had the op done in the 25 Nov so I am coming up to 4 weeks post op. The feet were healing very well (just like last time) and I was starting to get a little more mobile and independance again. Thing is on Fri my nephew opened a door onto my foot and knocked k wire (accident of course), it wasn't with any force and although it hurt on impact it seemed to settle straight away. My husband being a fuss pot made me return to the sofa and elevate my feet again... After a couple of hours the foot really started to hurt and then swell. I was in absolute agony and had to take all of the pain relief the surgeon gave me for post op, I also only manage 20 min sleep Fri night. It settled slightly yesterday again but not to how it was before I knocked it and it is still swollen (the whole foot) even the toes that were not operated on. Please can somebody give me some advice as my husband want me back at hospital but I don't want to waste the docs precious time especially at this time of year. Im just worried that the wire may have been dislodged and digging into something?? :dizzy:
Old 22nd December 2008, 04:34 AM
Unregistered

Smile Re: Pain after toe fusion!! and my own question

While I am just 5 days post-op, I would highly suggest you call the doctor and not worry about bothering him/her since that is their job. Just do it and that will make your husband happy.

I just spent two hours back and forth on the phone with my pod. My left foot (fusion on big toe) is very cold. It is almost like I put my foot in a bag of ice. The doctor had me remove almost all of my bandages and soft cast in case it was too tight. He also told me to not elevate my foot and see him tomorrow. The cast and bandages didn't seem tight at all and the foot is still cold BUT not as much. Any ideas?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Old 22nd December 2008, 08:07 AM

Default Re: Pain after toe fusion!!

Hi and thank you for your reply. I posted the original post and have since registered on this site (looks very helpful).

Is it your toe or your whole foot that is cold? If I remember correctly my toes where cold for the first few days but not the whole foot. You will have to post when you have been to see the surgeon and let me know what he said.

The thing is with me my surgeon/doc is a 2 hour drive away, which therefore doesn't make it as straight forward as just nipping in to see him!!! So if anyone has had similar or knows of what may be causing the swelling/pain I would appreciate it.
Old 22nd December 2008, 10:48 PM

Both of you should be "nipping in" to see your doctors at once, instead of wishing you had later on.
Georgie2 (24th December 2008)
Old 24th December 2008, 12:41 PM

Thanx foot doc. I take it you know what you are talking about so will go back to see him.

I will post to say if all is ok.
Old 26th December 2008, 09:41 PM

Thank goodness for forums > injured foot right after surgery> pain> swelling>
Bless you for trying to be considerate, but you already know what to do.
Old 26th December 2008, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpetit View Post
Thank goodness for forums > injured foot right after surgery> pain> swelling>
Bless you for trying to be considerate, but you already know what to do.
I'm afraid I don't understand what you are saying.
Old 27th December 2008, 12:09 AM

The lady was worried about bothering her Doctor; it was just a gentle way of chiding -
Old 3rd November 2009, 03:29 PM
Unregistered

Im goin in for a oxford fusion please could some one tell me if you have to wear one ov the big bootthings when u have it done thankyou..
Old 3rd November 2009, 04:29 PM

I don't know what an oxford fusion is, but wouldn't it be more appropriate to ask that of the doctor who is going to perform it?
Old 3rd November 2009, 10:02 PM
Unregistered

it were they cut your toe and put a wire down it to make it strait. ?
Old 3rd November 2009, 11:51 PM

Once again . . isn't this something that you should be asking the doctor who is going to do the procedure?
Old 4th November 2009, 09:31 PM
Unregistered

Thumbs down Re: Pain after toe fusion!!

ok keep ya hair on ur a foot surgon and ya dont even no the answer to my question o my god u might want to go back to college
Old 10th November 2009, 08:50 PM
Unregistered

I too have had pain after my fusion. My fusion was done 7/22/09 and went very well. At each post op visit to my Foot and Ankle Doc, he said It looked text book perfect. (after taking x-rays of course) My last visit was 8 weeks post op and he said after looking at the x-rays that he is 99.5 % certain the fusion took. Gave me little restrictions other than no marathon running and toe bending. (I'm a yoga teacher) I was a good patient and did exactly as he instructed. What I noticed is that over the last month, the side of my foot hurts and is tender to the touch. My foot tends to "fall asleep" easily. (pins and needles feeling) I still have a mild amount of pain. Is this normal for 4 months post op? Should I wait it out for a couple more months or see the Doc?

Thanks for any info you can share.
Old 10th November 2009, 09:24 PM

DISCLAIMER:
THE FOLLOWING IS OFFERED GRATIS AS GENERAL INFORMATION ONLY, AND, AS SUCH, MAY NOT BE APPLICABLE TO THE SPECIFIC QUESTIONER AND/OR HIS/HER PROBLEM. IT IS CLEARLY NOT BASED ON ACTUAL KNOWLEDGE AND/OR EXAMINATION OF THE QUESTIONER OR HIS/HER MEDICAL HISTORY, AND IT CAN NOT AND SHOULD NOT BE RELIED UPON AS DEFINITIVE MEDICAL OPINION OR ADVICE. ONLY THROUGH HANDS-ON PHYSICAL CONTACT WITH THE ACTUAL PATIENT CAN ACCURATE MEDICAL DIAGNOSIS BE ESTABLISHED AND SPECIFIC ADVICE BE GIVEN. NO DOCTOR/PATIENT RELATIONSHIP IS CREATED OR ESTABLISHED OR MAY BE INFERRED. THE QUESTIONER AND/OR READER IS INSTRUCTED TO CONSULT HIS OR HER OWN DOCTOR BEFORE PROCEEDING WITH ANY SUGGESTIONS CONTAINED HEREIN, AND TO ACT ONLY UPON HIS/HER OWN DOCTOR’S ORDERS AND RECOMMENDATIONS. BY THE READING OF MY POSTING WHICH FOLLOWS, THE READER STIPULATES AND CONFIRMS THAT HE/SHE FULLY UNDERSTANDS THIS DISCLAIMER AND HOLDS HARMLESS THIS WRITER. IF THIS IS NOT FULLY AGREEABLE TO YOU, THE READER, AND/OR YOU HAVE NOT ATTAINED THE AGE OF 18 YEARS, YOU HEREBY ARE ADMONISHED TO READ NO FURTHER.
Although you haven't specifically said so, as you are posting in this old thread, I assume you are talking about fusion of a toe joint. If that is the case, it would have no bearing on your foot "falling asleep" other than the area at or distal to the surgery. I know nothing about your case or procedure, so if you want to know if pain at this time is something to be concerned about, check with your surgeon.
Old 11th November 2009, 12:54 PM
Unregistered

Thank you. Trying to find a current forum has been difficult. I had Right 1st metatarsal phalangeal fusion. They took out the joint and I now have a titanium plate a 8 screws. My surgeon warned me of the risk of stress fractures due to the surgery. As stated in my original post, I am a yoga teacher and resumed my practice when my surgeon told me I could do so. I resumed with the necessary modifications. Since the outside of my foot is tender to the touch I worry about a stress fracture. My gait is not normal at this time because the underside of my big toe is also tender. I should probably call my surgeon, correct?
Old 11th November 2009, 02:03 PM

DISCLAIMER:
THE FOLLOWING IS OFFERED GRATIS AS GENERAL INFORMATION ONLY, AND, AS SUCH, MAY NOT BE APPLICABLE TO THE SPECIFIC QUESTIONER AND/OR HIS/HER PROBLEM. IT IS CLEARLY NOT BASED ON ACTUAL KNOWLEDGE AND/OR EXAMINATION OF THE QUESTIONER OR HIS/HER MEDICAL HISTORY, AND IT CAN NOT AND SHOULD NOT BE RELIED UPON AS DEFINITIVE MEDICAL OPINION OR ADVICE. ONLY THROUGH HANDS-ON PHYSICAL CONTACT WITH THE ACTUAL PATIENT CAN ACCURATE MEDICAL DIAGNOSIS BE ESTABLISHED AND SPECIFIC ADVICE BE GIVEN. NO DOCTOR/PATIENT RELATIONSHIP IS CREATED OR ESTABLISHED OR MAY BE INFERRED. THE QUESTIONER AND/OR READER IS INSTRUCTED TO CONSULT HIS OR HER OWN DOCTOR BEFORE PROCEEDING WITH ANY SUGGESTIONS CONTAINED HEREIN, AND TO ACT ONLY UPON HIS/HER OWN DOCTOR’S ORDERS AND RECOMMENDATIONS. BY THE READING OF MY POSTING WHICH FOLLOWS, THE READER STIPULATES AND CONFIRMS THAT HE/SHE FULLY UNDERSTANDS THIS DISCLAIMER AND HOLDS HARMLESS THIS WRITER. IF THIS IS NOT FULLY AGREEABLE TO YOU, THE READER, AND/OR YOU HAVE NOT ATTAINED THE AGE OF 18 YEARS, YOU HEREBY ARE ADMONISHED TO READ NO FURTHER.
One cannot expect to achieve a normal gait when a great toe is fused, as a proper range of joint motion there is a requirement for normal ambulation. A fusion is a trade off . . . trading function hopefully for pain relief. But yes . . . if you are having post-surgical problems, the very first thing you should have done was call your surgeon. Forums are not adequate venues for diagnosing most medical problems. They are for general, non-case-specific information.
1trout (15th October 2010)
Old 10th March 2010, 12:50 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by FootDoc View Post
Both of you should be "nipping in" to see your doctors at once, instead of wishing you had later on.
Just curious i still have one of the pins in my big toe from the fusion. I was told if it didnt bother me it doesnt need to come out. Now I have noticed it poking out a little bit but still in the skin. Is this unsafe? yes can you tell I feel like ive been through so much with these feet I dont want to get this pin taken out.
Thanks Jen
Old 21st March 2010, 03:15 AM

I'm glad to have found this forum. I've got two orthopedic problems and simply need to write it down and possibly get some useful feedback. Problem 1: total left knee replacement coming up April 5. Naturally I have pain in that knee when I walk. Problem 2: hallux limitus in right foot after two surgeries, the first a bunectomy and another to repair the damage done by the bun doc. I don't have the records in front of me and cannot give all the terms. That foot now has two pins and the Morton's neuroma has been removed. The second toe, which was becoming a "hammer" after the first surgery,was fused. Now that foot is painful to walk on and there is a large bump on top of my big toe joint, almost as if the bunion had been removed from the side and replaced on top. There is a lot of crunching when I bend the toes, and the ball of my foot has thickened.

The orthopedic surgeon I last consulted says that the only solutions he can suggest are cortisone shots and then fusion when the injections cease to do any good. I have had one cortisone injection. It may be helping, but there is still pain when I walk. The knee doc said to take care of the foot first, but the only thing offered was fusion, which I did not want to do. I'm getting some serious pain in the hip joints as well, from my unnatural gait.

I am feeling blue about all this and wonder if there is any help for my foot other than fusion, orthopedic inserts, and shots. I also dread the weight this foot will have to bear when I am healing from the knee surgery. Any comments or sympathy would be most appreciated!

I have read the posts about fusion and I sympathize sincerely with all of you.
Margaret

Last edited by Mimi Day; 21st March 2010 at 03:19 AM. Reason: paragraphing, proofing
Old 21st March 2010, 03:23 AM

I'm glad to have found this forum. I've got two orthopedic problems and simply need to write it down and possibly get some useful feedback. Problem 1: total left knee replacement coming up April 5. Naturally I have pain in that knee when I walk. Problem 2: hallux limitus in right foot after two surgeries, the first a bunectomy and another to repair the damage done by the bun doc. I don't have the records in front of me and cannot give all the terms. That foot now has two pins and the Morton's neuroma has been removed. The second toe, which was becoming a "hammer," was fused. Now that foot is painful to walk on and there is a large bump on top of my big toe joint, almost as if the bunion had been removed from the side and replaced on top. There is a lot of crunching when I bend the toes, and the ball of my foot has thickened. The orthopedic surgeon I last consulted says that the only solutions he can suggest are cortisone shots and then fusion when the injections cease to do any good. I have had one cortisone injection. It may be helping, but there is still pain when I walk. The knee doc said to take care of the foot first, but the only thing offered was fusion, which I did not want to do. I'm getting some serious pain in the hip joints as well, from my unnatural gait.
I am feeling really disabled and blue about this course of events and wonder if there is any help for this foot other than fusion, orthopedic inserts, and shots. I also dread the weight this foot will have to bear when I am healing from the knee surgery. Any comments or sympathy would be most appreciated!
I have read the posts about fusion and I sympathize sincerely with all of you.
Margaret
Old 30th March 2010, 12:40 AM
A welcome new poster

Unhappy Re: Pain after toe fusion!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
it were they cut your toe and put a wire down it to make it strait. ?
YES and when the wire is pulled out after 5 or 6 weeks it is done with PLIERS and no anaesthetic and mine is still swollen and very painful 9weeks after wire out,

Last edited by SIDESHOWBOB; 30th March 2010 at 12:42 AM. Reason: spelling errors
Old 31st March 2010, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIDESHOWBOB View Post
YES and when the wire is pulled out after 5 or 6 weeks it is done with PLIERS and no anaesthetic and mine is still swollen and very painful 9weeks after wire out,
What is the point of your seemingly negative comments? Many orthopedic instruments resemble carpentry tools. How did you imagine a wire might be removed? As far as anesthesia goes, I have never know it to be needed when pulling a K-Wire, and I have never had a patient experience any actual pain from it.
1trout (15th October 2010)
Old 7th May 2010, 04:13 AM
Alison

Hi! I know you posted this a couple years ago, so not sure if you'll get this message, but I, too, am a Yoga teacher and one of my students has fused toes. We're trying to figure out how she can practice certain asanas/postures without feeling pain and I'm wondering if you can offer some advice. Let me know! Thanks SO much!
Alison
Old 14th May 2010, 05:41 AM
Unregistered

I posted my original question about severe, long-lasting pain after toe joint fusion quite some time ago. A couple of interesting things have happened since then:

I fractured the great toe which is next to the fused one. When the great toe healed, the joint had little flexibility (it was a wierd kind of fracture.) This has actually helped to take pressure off of the toe that was fused. The great toe acts as a kind of splint to keep both toes from bending too far.

Still - - - there have been times when I have had a recurrence of pain not only in the fused toe, but across the entire top of my foot. This first began right after surgery. At times (even 4 years past the surgery) the fused toe and the top of my foot have been so super sensitive I have not even been able to tolerate a sock on my foot. I stumbled onto a solution after I suffered a ruptured disc in my back. After 4 pain-blocking injections in my back, I had no improvement in the sciatic nerve pain that ran down the back of my leg. Finally the Dr. suggested that Lyrica might give some relief - - -he said it wasn't really made for that, but some of his patients had reported a degree of pain relief with it. I took it and within a couple of days not only was the sciatic pain much improved, but the foot pain was gone as well. Since then, I have occasionally had flare ups in my foot from the fusion surgery along with the extreme sensitivity across the top of my foot. A day or two on Lyrica helps greatly. Curious, isn't it?
Old 14th May 2010, 01:30 PM

DISCLAIMER:
THE FOLLOWING IS OFFERED GRATIS AS GENERAL INFORMATION ONLY, AND, AS SUCH, MAY NOT BE APPLICABLE TO THE SPECIFIC QUESTIONER AND/OR HIS/HER PROBLEM. IT IS CLEARLY NOT BASED ON ACTUAL KNOWLEDGE AND/OR EXAMINATION OF THE QUESTIONER OR HIS/HER MEDICAL HISTORY, AND IT CAN NOT AND SHOULD NOT BE RELIED UPON AS DEFINITIVE MEDICAL OPINION OR ADVICE. ONLY THROUGH HANDS-ON PHYSICAL CONTACT WITH THE ACTUAL PATIENT CAN ACCURATE MEDICAL DIAGNOSIS BE ESTABLISHED AND SPECIFIC ADVICE BE GIVEN. NO DOCTOR/PATIENT RELATIONSHIP IS CREATED OR ESTABLISHED OR MAY BE INFERRED. THE QUESTIONER AND/OR READER IS INSTRUCTED TO CONSULT HIS OR HER OWN DOCTOR BEFORE PROCEEDING WITH ANY SUGGESTIONS CONTAINED HEREIN, AND TO ACT ONLY UPON HIS/HER OWN DOCTOR’S ORDERS AND RECOMMENDATIONS. BY THE READING OF MY POSTING WHICH FOLLOWS, THE READER STIPULATES AND CONFIRMS THAT HE/SHE FULLY UNDERSTANDS THIS DISCLAIMER AND HOLDS HARMLESS THIS WRITER. IF THIS IS NOT FULLY AGREEABLE TO YOU, THE READER, OR YOU HAVE NOT ATTAINED THE AGE OF 18 YEARS, YOU HEREBY ARE ADMONISHED TO READ NO FURTHER.
As Lyrica has been shown useful in some peripheral neruopathies, if it has been effective for the pain you had been experiencing, it would seem probable that your sensitivity complaint is/was the result of nerve pathology.
Old 10th June 2010, 02:29 PM
Unregistered

i had my fusion back on 23 june 08 and it is still painfull for me to walk...also i now have foot cramps that are very painfull...my dr. says that my toe is 100 % fused...is it possible for my toe not to be completly fused?
r/
john
Old 10th June 2010, 03:17 PM

Quote:
i had my fusion back on 23 june 08 and it is still painfull for me to walk...also i now have foot cramps that are very painfull...my dr. says that my toe is 100 % fused...is it possible for my toe not to be completly fused?
r/
john
DISCLAIMER:
THE FOLLOWING IS OFFERED GRATIS AS GENERAL INFORMATION ONLY, AND, AS SUCH, MAY NOT BE APPLICABLE TO THE SPECIFIC QUESTIONER AND/OR HIS/HER PROBLEM. IT IS CLEARLY NOT BASED ON ACTUAL KNOWLEDGE AND/OR EXAMINATION OF THE QUESTIONER OR HIS/HER MEDICAL HISTORY, AND IT CAN NOT AND SHOULD NOT BE RELIED UPON AS DEFINITIVE MEDICAL OPINION OR ADVICE. ONLY THROUGH HANDS-ON PHYSICAL CONTACT WITH THE ACTUAL PATIENT CAN ACCURATE MEDICAL DIAGNOSIS BE ESTABLISHED AND SPECIFIC ADVICE BE GIVEN. NO DOCTOR/PATIENT RELATIONSHIP IS CREATED OR ESTABLISHED OR MAY BE INFERRED. THE QUESTIONER AND/OR READER IS INSTRUCTED TO CONSULT HIS OR HER OWN DOCTOR BEFORE PROCEEDING WITH ANY SUGGESTIONS CONTAINED HEREIN, AND TO ACT ONLY UPON HIS/HER OWN DOCTOR’S ORDERS AND RECOMMENDATIONS. BY THE READING OF MY POSTING WHICH FOLLOWS, THE READER STIPULATES AND CONFIRMS THAT HE/SHE FULLY UNDERSTANDS THIS DISCLAIMER AND HOLDS HARMLESS THIS WRITER. IF THIS IS NOT FULLY AGREEABLE TO YOU, THE READER, OR YOU HAVE NOT ATTAINED THE AGE OF 18 YEARS, YOU HEREBY ARE ADMONISHED TO READ NO FURTHER.
Is it possible? . . . Sure, as not all fusion attempts succeed.

Do I have any reason to determine that your suspicions are correct? . . not from what you have posted.

If you have concerns and/or questions regarding case-specific matters and are not satisfied with your doctor's response, obtain a second opinion by examination from a well-vetted specialist. It would be silly to rely on determinations made without a hands-on evaluation. Forums are neither intended to nor are they capable of replacing traditional hands-on medical care.
Old 28th August 2010, 01:06 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
r/
john
I am so shocked to read that one could still be in pain so long after op, I had fusion and plate left big toe late june 10. I am in real pain after 1hour in town today and found standing in a queue unbearable. the top and around the ankle is extremly tender. Is this the way forward ? whilst the foot readjust to my gait which is basicly a limp? can anyone give me a time period for expected improvement.
Old 28th September 2010, 03:14 PM

I am 12 weeks post op for a great toe fusion and my ankle and bottom of heel still hurt a lot. is this normal and how much longer is this probably going to hurt. over weekend felt like a knife was slicing into my heel. how much longer will pain last. also feels really tight around back of heel when I walk. still in sneakers.
Old 23rd November 2010, 05:49 AM
Unregistered

Exclamation Re: Pain after toe fusion!!

After a poor result from bunion surgery several years ago my big toe sticks straight up and the only shoes I can wear are either a man's boat shoe double EE width or sandals. Also have a morton's neuroma following this same bunion surgery in which the surgeon removed too much bone using a new proceedure he copied from Finland.

Initial healing from this surgery took 10 months before I felt more-or-less pain-free. Because of this lengthy and painful recovery time; I have been reluctant to consider the additional big toe joint FUSION to correct the big toe sticking way up in the air.

A few years ago, a man walked up to a local hospital in the Detroit area with a loaded hand gun, looked his Podiatrist up, and shot him in one foot. While I do not condone this action; I understand the feeling!!!!

From what I read here, I believe that a total knee replacement surgery which seems very invasive at least has one up and walking a few steps the next day. While a smaller proceedure on the foot is usually considered to be non weight bearing for the first four weeks. The foot is indeed much more complicated and Podiatrists ought to take a very conservative approach to each contemplated surgery. First do no harm.

I am now retired following an active life and an interest in hiking, skiing, and traveling; can only walk short distances.