foot health forum  
Discususion and Information on Foot Problems

Go Back   Foot Pain & Foot Health Forum > Main > Ask your questions here

Corn on ball of foot

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 25th January 2009, 08:04 PM
tupenny tupenny is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 6
Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Corn on ball of foot

Hi all Just wonderered if anyone knows what is involved when having a corn surgically removed?
thanks
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 25th January 2009, 09:08 PM
FootDoc FootDoc is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 3,154
Thanks: 0
Thanked 122 Times in 101 Posts
Default Re: Corn on ball of foot

DISCLAIMER:
THE FOLLOWING IS OFFERED GRATIS AS GENERAL INFORMATION ONLY, AND, AS SUCH, MAY NOT BE APPLICABLE TO THE SPECIFIC QUESTIONER AND/OR HIS/HER PROBLEM. IT IS CLEARLY NOT BASED ON ACTUAL KNOWLEDGE AND/OR EXAMINATION OF THE QUESTIONER OR HIS/HER MEDICAL HISTORY, AND IT CAN NOT AND SHOULD NOT BE RELIED UPON AS DEFINITIVE MEDICAL OPINION OR ADVICE. ONLY THROUGH HANDS- ON PHYSICAL CONTACT WITH THE ACTUAL PATIENT CAN ACCURATE MEDICAL DIAGNOSIS BE ESTABLISHED AND SPECIFIC ADVICE BE GIVEN. NO DOCTOR/PATIENT RELATIONSHIP IS CREATED OR ESTABLISHED OR MAY BE INFERRED. THE QUESTIONER AND/OR READER IS INSTRUCTED TO CONSULT HIS OR HER OWN DOCTOR BEFORE PROCEEDING WITH ANY SUGGESTIONS CONTAINED HEREIN, AND TO ACT ONLY UPON HIS/HER OWN DOCTOR’S ORDERS AND RECOMMENDATIONS. BY THE READING OF MY POSTING WHICH FOLLOWS, THE READER STIPULATES AND CONFIRMS THAT HE/SHE FULLY UNDERSTANDS THIS DISCLAIMER AND HOLDS HARMLESS THIS WRITER. IF THIS IS NOT FULLY AGREEABLE TO YOU, THE READER, AND/OR YOU HAVE NOT ATTAINED THE AGE OF 18 YEARS, YOU HEREBY ARE ADMONISHED TO READ NO FURTHER.
************************************************** *********
As the title of your post indicates the problem to be on the ball of the foot, I will assume that you mean a seed corn, sometime, probably incorrectly termed a porokeratosis, rather than the more common one found on the dorsum, side or distal aspect of a toe. The causes of these two foot problems are not in the slightest associated, and treatment for each is totally different. I should tell you that surgical removal of seed corns is statistically not particularly successful, and reassurances are common-place. Surgical removal is normally accomplished by curettage, rather than full-thickness excision with suture closure, as full-thickness excision will always heal with some scar tissue, which, on the sole of the foot, may well be as painful as the seed corn. Surgical removal of seed corns is generally performed very much like a curettage procedure for a wart, by first numbing the area with a local anesthetic, then circumscribing the lesion with a surgical blade and finally employing a curette (a small spoon-like instrument) to scoop it out, with care taken not to penetrate the germinative layer of the dermis, so as to minimize the chance of scar tissue formation. Often the resulting crater is then chemically cauterized. But, as I stated, recurrence are very common. The procedure can also be done by hyfrecation (burning with an "electric needle" or by cryotherapy) with similar results. Post-operative pain is very subjective and varies from patient to patient, but is generally minimal to mild.
__________________
Foot Doc

Last edited by FootDoc; 25th January 2009 at 09:12 PM.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #3  
Old 26th January 2009, 12:30 PM
tupenny tupenny is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 6
Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Corn on ball of foot

Thanks foot doc
That was very informative, I have asked the consultant of details of this proceedure (who has also operated on 3 of my toes recently) 5 times recently and all he says very abruptly is 'Oh its nothing to worry about' once again thanks
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 26th January 2009, 02:50 PM
FootDoc FootDoc is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 3,154
Thanks: 0
Thanked 122 Times in 101 Posts
Default Re: Corn on ball of foot

Quote:
Originally Posted by tupenny View Post
Thanks foot doc
That was very informative, I have asked the consultant of details of this proceedure (who has also operated on 3 of my toes recently) 5 times recently and all he says very abruptly is 'Oh its nothing to worry about' once again thanks
That's unfortunate. In my view, an essential part of non-emergency medicine is keeping the patient well-informed and involved in the process. It has been said that the definition of "minor surgery" is surgery done on someone else.

Also, keep in mind that my description of the procedure is based on the method that I commonly employ, and your doctor's selection of procedure and technique may vary from this without its being inappropriate.
__________________
Foot Doc

Last edited by FootDoc; 26th January 2009 at 02:54 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 25th July 2009, 09:45 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Corn on ball of foot

Quote:
Originally Posted by FootDoc View Post
DISCLAIMER:
THE FOLLOWING IS OFFERED GRATIS AS GENERAL INFORMATION ONLY, AND, AS SUCH, MAY NOT BE APPLICABLE TO THE SPECIFIC QUESTIONER AND/OR HIS/HER PROBLEM. IT IS CLEARLY NOT BASED ON ACTUAL KNOWLEDGE AND/OR EXAMINATION OF THE QUESTIONER OR HIS/HER MEDICAL HISTORY, AND IT CAN NOT AND SHOULD NOT BE RELIED UPON AS DEFINITIVE MEDICAL OPINION OR ADVICE. ONLY THROUGH HANDS- ON PHYSICAL CONTACT WITH THE ACTUAL PATIENT CAN ACCURATE MEDICAL DIAGNOSIS BE ESTABLISHED AND SPECIFIC ADVICE BE GIVEN. NO DOCTOR/PATIENT RELATIONSHIP IS CREATED OR ESTABLISHED OR MAY BE INFERRED. THE QUESTIONER AND/OR READER IS INSTRUCTED TO CONSULT HIS OR HER OWN DOCTOR BEFORE PROCEEDING WITH ANY SUGGESTIONS CONTAINED HEREIN, AND TO ACT ONLY UPON HIS/HER OWN DOCTOR’S ORDERS AND RECOMMENDATIONS. BY THE READING OF MY POSTING WHICH FOLLOWS, THE READER STIPULATES AND CONFIRMS THAT HE/SHE FULLY UNDERSTANDS THIS DISCLAIMER AND HOLDS HARMLESS THIS WRITER. IF THIS IS NOT FULLY AGREEABLE TO YOU, THE READER, AND/OR YOU HAVE NOT ATTAINED THE AGE OF 18 YEARS, YOU HEREBY ARE ADMONISHED TO READ NO FURTHER.
************************************************** *********
As the title of your post indicates the problem to be on the ball of the foot, I will assume that you mean a seed corn, sometime, probably incorrectly termed a porokeratosis, rather than the more common one found on the dorsum, side or distal aspect of a toe. The causes of these two foot problems are not in the slightest associated, and treatment for each is totally different. I should tell you that surgical removal of seed corns is statistically not particularly successful, and reassurances are common-place. Surgical removal is normally accomplished by curettage, rather than full-thickness excision with suture closure, as full-thickness excision will always heal with some scar tissue, which, on the sole of the foot, may well be as painful as the seed corn. Surgical removal of seed corns is generally performed very much like a curettage procedure for a wart, by first numbing the area with a local anesthetic, then circumscribing the lesion with a surgical blade and finally employing a curette (a small spoon-like instrument) to scoop it out, with care taken not to penetrate the germinative layer of the dermis, so as to minimize the chance of scar tissue formation. Often the resulting crater is then chemically cauterized. But, as I stated, recurrence are very common. The procedure can also be done by hyfrecation (burning with an "electric needle" or by cryotherapy) with similar results. Post-operative pain is very subjective and varies from patient to patient, but is generally minimal to mild.
Is there an orthotic that could be used that would keep the "corn" from coming back? Is there anything else that can be done to relieve the pain of these so-called "corns".
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 25th July 2009, 10:09 PM
FootDoc FootDoc is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 3,154
Thanks: 0
Thanked 122 Times in 101 Posts
Default Re: Corn on ball of foot

DISCLAIMER:
THE FOLLOWING IS OFFERED GRATIS AS GENERAL INFORMATION ONLY, AND, AS SUCH, MAY NOT BE APPLICABLE TO THE SPECIFIC QUESTIONER AND/OR HIS/HER PROBLEM. IT IS CLEARLY NOT BASED ON ACTUAL KNOWLEDGE AND/OR EXAMINATION OF THE QUESTIONER OR HIS/HER MEDICAL HISTORY, AND IT CAN NOT AND SHOULD NOT BE RELIED UPON AS DEFINITIVE MEDICAL OPINION OR ADVICE. ONLY THROUGH HANDS- ON PHYSICAL CONTACT WITH THE ACTUAL PATIENT CAN ACCURATE MEDICAL DIAGNOSIS BE ESTABLISHED AND SPECIFIC ADVICE BE GIVEN. NO DOCTOR/PATIENT RELATIONSHIP IS CREATED OR ESTABLISHED OR MAY BE INFERRED. THE QUESTIONER AND/OR READER IS INSTRUCTED TO CONSULT HIS OR HER OWN DOCTOR BEFORE PROCEEDING WITH ANY SUGGESTIONS CONTAINED HEREIN, AND TO ACT ONLY UPON HIS/HER OWN DOCTOR’S ORDERS AND RECOMMENDATIONS. BY THE READING OF MY POSTING WHICH FOLLOWS, THE READER STIPULATES AND CONFIRMS THAT HE/SHE FULLY UNDERSTANDS THIS DISCLAIMER AND HOLDS HARMLESS THIS WRITER. IF THIS IS NOT FULLY AGREEABLE TO YOU, THE READER, AND/OR YOU HAVE NOT ATTAINED THE AGE OF 18 YEARS, YOU HEREBY ARE ADMONISHED TO READ NO FURTHER.
************************************************** *********
You remind me of some patients who after I have given a long list of possible treatments for some ailment say to me, "I guess there's nothing that can be done for this . . huh?" I've already given a summary of the generally accepted treatments for attempted permanent removal. If I knew of others I would certainly not have held back on them. Orthotics are intended for pathomechanical problems. Seed corns are not pathomechanical problems. The best one might hope for from an orthotic is possibly incidentally relieving the weight-bearing pressure on the seed corn . . or possibly increasing the pressure.
__________________
Foot Doc

Last edited by FootDoc; 25th July 2009 at 10:14 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 22nd August 2010, 03:18 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Corn on ball of foot

Quote:
Originally Posted by tupenny View Post
Hi all Just wonderered if anyone knows what is involved when having a corn surgically removed?
thanks
hi hun, DONT DO IT, it cannot be removed that way, they can take the corn but the roots will be left and you will see the core, its terribly depressing,
iv had them 20 years i now have 7, i have had them burnt, frozen, lasered, surgicly removed 8 times, picked at slowley, but honestly i found the solution, its the sacilic acid pads it takes about 6 to 12 days to fall out of your foot, another 6 to 12 days of doing it again pending on how big they are, its better not to walk on it as the acid CANNOT touch your normal skin or it will get infected from the inside as mine did, but cos they are painfull to start with i didnt notice and ended up in hospital with blood poisening my foot was then packed for 6 months it was a terrible nightmare but the truth, be very carefull but it does work
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may post attachments
You may edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pain in ball of foot Sam S Ask your questions here 4 18th July 2009 08:52 PM
ball of foot Unregistered Ask your questions here 1 19th December 2008 05:47 PM
Ball of foot Hard Skin toughasnails Ask your questions here 1 30th November 2008 03:52 PM
Ball of foot pain Unregistered Ask your questions here 1 27th November 2008 06:40 PM
burning on ball of foot James M. Vance Ask your questions here 4 23rd August 2008 07:14 AM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 01:14 AM.



Powered by vBulletin®, Copyright ©2000 - 2008, Jelsoft Enterprises Limited.
All content is copyright to the Foot Pain & Foot Health Forum.