foot health forum  
Discususion and Information on Foot Problems

Go Back   Foot Pain & Foot Health Forum > Main > Ask your questions here

Fractured 3rd, 4th and 5th metatarsal

Old 4th February 2010, 09:31 PM
Unregistered

Default Fractured 3rd, 4th and 5th metatarsal

A car ran over my foot on Jan 15th and broke my 3rd, 4th and 5th metatarsals. after a visit to the hospital I was put in a non weight bearing cast and was told at the hospital that I would have to wear a cast for 6 weeks and that there was only a 5% chance that I would have to have an operation. After two weeks I went back to the fracture clinic and they changed my cast for a fibreglass one and gave me some kind of hard sole shoe to walk one. I was told I could put my foot down as long as it wasn't painful. I already resumed work (I work in an office based job), which involves travelling on the undeground and a bit of walking (about 10 minutes from home to the station and from the station to the office). I haven't really had any problems and haven't felt any pain or discomfort whatsoever (I try to put as little pressure on my foot as I can, I basically put it down on the floor in order to have a bit more balance when walking with crutches).
Yesterday morning I noticed a few very small bruises on the base of my 1st and 2nd toes. They are not anywhere near the injury and don't hurt if I touch them. But I'm starting to worry this might be a bad thing.
Also, as I was coming back home yesterday evening my crutch slipped and I accidentaly applied more pressure on my injured foot, which resulted in mild pain that went away as soon as I lifted my foot. I resumed walking a minute later and felt no pain at all afterwards. However I'm still worried that that could have some negative consequences.
I don't have an appointment at the fracture clinic untill 2 weeks time. Should I worry much about what happened?
By the way, I'm a 26 year old male and live in the UK
Old 5th February 2010, 01:21 AM

Default Re: Fractured 3rd, 4th and 5th metatarsal

Worry is the price one pay for uncertainty. I don't know anything but an x-ray that can tell you whether worrying is or was appropriate. I can't speak to your specific case, but in regard to the ecchymosis you mentioned, such frequently appears in areas other than at the exact site of injury, as the post-traumatic extra-vascular blood drains by gravity through tissues planes.